shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on clarity grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kgrap

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me how clarity ratings are judged? When a stone is graded VS1 is it observed from a certain distance away from the stone or right next to the eye?

My friend has a 1 carat round diamond from Blue Nile, graded VS1, when I hold the diamond right up to my eye ( 4 to 5 inches away ) I can see a few dots or tiny bubble like formations in the diamond. Is this because the VS1 rating is judged from a certain distance away from the diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A basic explanation of clarity grading is that the size, nature, colour and placements of inclusions are taken into account, visibility to the naked eye is subjective and opinions vary tremendously . If you do a search on clarity grading that will answer your question in much more detail. There are different definitions of eyeclean, often the trade's def is no visible inclusions to the naked eye at about 10 inches away in normal lighting, however the consumer's idea of this and comfort zone may be different. I can't answer for sure, it may be possible to see tiny inclusions in a VS1 up so close with good eyesight, but I don't really know. If it was a huge stone or a step cut then yes, but lets see what other answers you get. Hope this helps to start you off. Also check the FAQ section for the thread on definitions of eyeclean, that has some very informative things in there. Also I just checked an old thread for you, yes it is possible to see small inclusions up close with great vision in a VS1. If you are purchasing for yourself in the future, make sure the vendor you are working with understands your definition of eyeclean, if for example you don't want to see a thing up close then let them know that, it depends in your own comfort level. Some like a small unobtrusive inclusion, it serves as an instant identifier of their diamond.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The grades depend on the quantity of inclusions, not on how and when they are visible face up.

And no, the grading is not done with the 'eye clean' quality in mind (or not just that at least) and certainly not from a distance. As much as I know, inclusions are identified at 10X magnification anyway. That's pretty close
2.gif

Most of the 'eye clean' discussion regards SI stones...

VS1? This must be the first one around here deemed non 'eye clean'. You guys must have been lucky - not!
40.gif

Are the things you see in there also mentioned on the lab report? Your descriptions sounds pretty bad for VS1. Is that what you were seeing under magnification?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking in an old thread Ana for info on "non eyeclean" VS1 ''s and I think it was a PSer with xray vision who found them easily in a VS1!
11.gif
This probably isn''t the norm however. I would think you would be pretty safe in a VS.

kgrap

Rough_Rock
I didn''t say anything to her about the flaw nor did I get a chance to examine the GIA report thoroughly. I just assumed that a VS1 rating meant that no one would be able to see any flaw regardless of how close they held the stone.

It worried me because diamond with visible black spots are supposed to bring very bad luck to the wearer.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2005 8:07:18 AM
Author: Lorelei

I was looking in an old thread Ana for info on ''non eye clean'' VS1 ''s and I think it was a PSer with xray vision who found them easily in a VS1
No... I don''t think it is common.
Wasn''t it ''Moremoremore''s VS2 cushion? Anyway, I haven''t seen one, let alone a bunch of specs in a VS1 yet. Even the colored inclusions are so darn small for the grade! And if there are several involved, each can only be even smaller ... It is hard to believe seeing multiple flecks in a VS1 without magnification. It sounds so exceptional that I wonder if the stone matched the cert
38.gif

Just my 0.2. Anything could happen after all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right on Ana!
36.gif
It was MMM''s cushion! It''s odd that some of the past threads say it can happen, especially in a 1 carat stone, I have a job to see a teeny carbon speck in my 1ct S12, but my eyes aren''t what they used to be!
41.gif
I would be upset if I splashed out on a VS1 and found inclusions waving cheerfully at me, I can understand in maybe a 3 ct
3.gif
or so but not in a 1
34.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2005 8:17:09 AM
Author: kgrap
I just assumed that a VS1 rating meant that no one would be able to see any flaw regardless of how close they held the stone.

For a properly graded VS1 there''s no way you''d spot the inclusions with the naked eye.

You probably saw dust, or reflections.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2005 8:17:09 AM
Author: kgrap

It worried me because diamond with visible black spots are supposed to bring very bad luck to the wearer.
I haven''t heard that one!
3.gif

If you find a chance, it may help to look at clarity plot on the the lab report, clean the diamond and try to see if the flaws you can locate match the marks on the lab report.

Easily visible black inclusions do not match ''VS1'' in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results