shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between 2 princess stones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

voltron2002

Rough_Rock
First off, I'd like to say that this forum is amazing. The vast amount of knowledge here and the helpfulness that I've seen in other posts is nothing short of stunning.

I'm trying to decide between a few princess stones that I've seen online. I'm looking for a stone somewhere around 1.75 - 2 carats, eye-clean, and that appears colorless. So far, I've narrowed it down to the following stones:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_76ct_g_vs1_princess.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_04ct_g_vs2_princess.htm

I'm leaning towards the 2.04 carat one, as the optics and polish seem to look better to my untrained eye. But I'm concerned that a stone rated VS2 may have flaws that are not eye clean. Is the location of the second stone's flaws problematic? Also, is a G color rating perceptible to the eye, or is the difference compared to a D not really noticable?

Originally, I was looking at this one, but the girdle seemed too thin, and I didn't want to risk chipping the stone. Too bad, because it seemed perfect otherwise.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_83ct_f_vvs2.htm

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2005 2:15:37 AM
Author:voltron2002

I'm leaning towards the 2.04 carat one, as the optics and polish seem to look better to my untrained eye.

... you can judge these for brilliance and looks, but I don't think you could tell any difference between polish grades. Few can, even under magnification.

But I'm concerned that a stone rated VS2 may have flaws that are not eye clean.

Asking this about SI1 makes allot more sense, VS2 in a modified brilliant is a safe bet, IMO. Unless there is just one black inclusion somewhere close to the face of the stone and you absolutely hate the very idea of having it these. Otherwise even such a speck would be a minor thing for the VS2 grade to hold.

You may want to consider how hugely magnified those pictures are...

Is the location of the second stone's flaws problematic?

Joke, right ? Ha, Ha!
9.gif
You've got three pinpoints somewhere under the crown facets. That's lucky even among VS2 as far as I can tell.

Also, is a G color rating perceptible to the eye, or is the difference compared to a D not really noticeable?

On unset stones you might be able to see something given the right conditions (white background and stones face down). In a setting chances grow extremely slim. Some claim to see the extremely faint difference, but I would be lost about anything but very large diamonds.

Originally, I was looking at this one, but the girdle seemed too thin, and I didn't want to risk chipping the stone. Too bad, because it seemed perfect otherwise.

Well, I doubt the higher clarity grade makes nearly as much of a difference in person as on paper. Unless you value these VVs grades for some symbolic meaning rather than looks.
Just IMO, of course.

Welcome to the forum !
35.gif

voltron2002

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight! Any thoughts out there as to the differences in optics of the first 2 stones?

voltron2002

Rough_Rock
Anyone else out there who can maybe add some perspective? Should I worry about the symmetry rating of "only" good? I live in Los Angeles, so if anyone knows a place where I can find a similar stone at a similar price, that would also be much appreciated!

Getting excited about this . . . :)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the 2.04 G/VS2 I would be shocked to my toes if you could see those without a loop. If you are worried you can IM them during the weekday and ask questions or call them. I think it looks lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results