shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the diamond, had it set, but have questions....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

After much thought and search I finally found a diamond. I ordered it and received it on Friday. It is beautiful. It''s an AGS Ideal 0, I color, VS2 clarity, and .697. I am have second thoughts though. A highly regarded jeweler in my town set the stone today. However, it looks a bit uncentered in my particular mounting. It is closer to one side than the other. I asked him about this and he said that the hole in base must be a little off and putting the head on would show this. Can this be fixed? He said he didn''t know if he could do it.

Also, I''m a little worried, scared actually, since I didn''t get the diamond appraised and it is not inscribed with its number. I can''t see any inclusions with a loupe. Should I send it off and have it taken out of the setting appraised and then reset? Can the AGSL number be inscribed into it? By whom? The jeweler recommended a white gold head and I insisted it must be 6 prongs. I''m just very worried right now, I don''t want this to be something I worry about in the future.

Again, the diamond is beautiful and I did get it from Blue Nile for a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Brett

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there ... what''s your question exactly. I didn''t quite understand what advice you''re looking for. Did you buy the stone AND the mounting from Blue Nile? If there''s something wrong with the mounting can you have the jeweler NOT set it so you can send the mounting back for an exchange? Why do you have to send the stone off? You can have the stone appraised seperately if you want, by a local appraiser. If you have the AGS certificate and you''re worried about being sent a different stone, any inclusions in the stone that are different would be noticable when you DO get it appraised. Did that answer anything you were asking?

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Why questions are these:

1. Can the offset head and prongs be moved on a ring, or is the location of the head determined by the setting?

2. Should I get the stone appraised seperately even though I have already had it mounted?

3. Can I have to AGSL number inscribed into it? Who can do this?

The setting is from Jared and the diamond is from Blue Nile. I''m just really worried and want to alleviate some of my stress. If that means spending some more money, which I probably should have done in the first place, so be it.

Thanks,
Brett

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 8:36:36 PM

1. Can the offset head and prongs be moved on a ring, or is the location of the head determined by the setting?

2. Should I get the stone appraised seperately even though I have already had it mounted?

3. Can I have to AGSL number inscribed into it? Who can do this?

I''m just really worried and want to alleviate some of my stress.

1. The location of the head is determined by the setting, but prongs can be moved, and a diamond can be re-positioned by re-setting. A good setter might be able to straighten it up for you.

2. It sounds like you would feel better if you had an expert take a look at it (appraise it) for you. They could do that either with the stone mounted, or loose if you decide to reset the stone or get another mounting.

3. Yes, you can have the number inscribed. Many already are. Does your AGSL report say anything under "comments" about the number being inscribed? If not, you could send it to AGSL to have it inscribed, or BlueNile, or possibly the appraiser could send it out for you to be inscribed.

One thing you could do relatively easy is have any professional take a look at your AGS report and then a look at your stone to verify that it is one and the same. Many would do this at a very reasonable charge, if any.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 8:52:13 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

1. The location of the head is determined by the setting, but prongs can be moved, and a diamond can be re-positioned by re-setting. A good setter might be able to straighten it up for you.

2. It sounds like you would feel better if you had an expert take a look at it (appraise it) for you. They could do that either with the stone mounted, or loose if you decide to reset the stone or get another mounting.

3. Yes, you can have the number inscribed. Many already are. Does your AGSL report say anything under ''comments'' about the number being inscribed? If not, you could send it to AGSL to have it inscribed, or BlueNile, or possibly the appraiser could send it out for you to be inscribed.

One thing you could do relatively easy is have any professional take a look at your AGS report and then a look at your stone to verify that it is one and the same. Many would do this at a very reasonable charge, if any.

[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. The diamond is not inscribed and since it is a VS2 I could not see any of the inclusions. I am going to start making some phone calls to different appraisers and seeing what they can do. And hopefully that appraiser will know a good setter who can true my ring up.

Thanks,
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results