shape
carat
color
clarity

question for cutnut, diamonds in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rd

Rough_Rock
This is primary for Cut Nut, however I also welcome
others to reply. I''''ve just started learning about diamonds and I''''ve found this forum very helpful, after
visiting a few B&M jewellery stores last night I got the
firm impression that the general populace is being severely ripped off for the prices being asked here (in Sydney) for diamonds/rings.

I am interested in purchasing a diamond via the net, can you tell me how much I should be expecting to pay for 0.5 to 0.75 carat, round brilliant, D-F, VVS2 (or better) excellent cut (excellent light return, symmetry and proportions) according to the ideal scope reference chart.

I''''ve read some posts here stating that the situation
in Australia is pretty grim, with mostly poor cuts
and inflated prices. I am just seeking value and honesty with whomever I deal, can you make any suggestions?

many thanks,
rd.

katealt

Rough_Rock
I live in Melbourne, but am American, and I just bought a fantastic cut (rated EX,EX,EX,VG on the HCA and is an AGS "000") .83ct online via overnightdiamonds.com and am sending it to my mom in Colorado to bring over. I checked out icestore.com.au and they have an office in Melbourne (maybe Sydney too I think) so you can go and see the diamonds. The inventory online is mixed as far as some is in the US and can be sent over (in a few days) but you pay 10% GST, and some is in store. WHy not check them out first and then compare prices with competitors here on pricescope. The problem is that sending a diamond over here you get nailed with not only 10% GST but also 5% import duty (I just talked to a customs guy yesterday). I''m not sure how thorough they are at screening parcels, but why risk it if it won''t make it worth it to you. I think I got a better diamond for the money as I was looking at .70ct, J, SI1 ideals for about $3000AU and ended up getting a .83ct, premo ideal, J, VS1, for $2470US and no tax. It isn''t that much difference, so check out icestore.com.au (melbournediamondexchange.com.au).

Good luck!
Kate

35.gif

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
I can''t help rd, but I can sympathise!

My partner and I have been ring shopping and found the ring we wanted at Musson in Chatswood (platinum with 1ct RB centre and pink Argyle pear shoulders). The centre stone was approximately 80-90% more expensive than a similar stone listed on www.diamondexchange.com.au !!!!!!!!!!!! It was within our budget but I just don''t like being ripped off. Besides, I could probably get a bigger stone for the same price if I shopped around.

Oddly enough, my partner just bought me a lovely pair of white and pink Argyle earrings from Percy Marks and the price seemed much more reasonable (considering the pinks are of equivalent size/colour) in comparison. I''m not comparing apples to apples though, so could be way off the mark!

I''m not sure where you are in Sydney, but try www.diamondexchange.com.au They have an office in Sydney CBD so you can check out the stones in person prior to purchase.

Also try www.omegadiamonds.com.au They are in Castle Hill.

I can''t vouch for the quality of their stones but it may give you a better idea on price at least.

rainbow

Rough_Rock
Hello Rd,

I''m in WA and diamonds are even scarcer on the ground here than in Sydney, so I''ve purchased twice over the net, once for a D VS1 and the other an E VS1, both stones around the .5ct. For what it''s worth, I find VS better value than VVS.

I purchased from Superbcert http://www.exceldiamonds.com/ and have had the stones indepently appraised and valued in Perth with the Australian value being double what I paid, and that includes the freight and GST, and Superbcert I by no means a cheap vendor.

I wouldn''t hesitate to purchase over the net again, but just make sure you choose a reputable vendor. Whiteflash and GoodOldGold are highly recommended here on PS. Superbcert posts on a different forum.

To check prices use the "Search by Cut" choice under the Prices link near the top of your screen. Type in your preferences and it will list all available stones along with their prices and vendor.

Hope you find what you are looking for
19.gif

Vanessa

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2005 10:17:30 PM
Author:rd
This is primary for Cut Nut, however I also welcome
others to reply. I''ve just started learning about diamonds and I''ve found this forum very helpful, after
visiting a few B&M jewellery stores last night I got the
firm impression that the general populace is being severely ripped off for the prices being asked here (in Sydney) for diamonds/rings.

I am interested in purchasing a diamond via the net, can you tell me how much I should be expecting to pay for 0.5 to 0.75 carat, round brilliant, D-F, VVS2 (or better) excellent cut (excellent light return, symmetry and proportions) according to the ideal scope reference chart.

I''ve read some posts here stating that the situation
in Australia is pretty grim, with mostly poor cuts
and inflated prices. I am just seeking value and honesty with whomever I deal, can you make any suggestions?

many thanks,
rd.

Well if you buy a diamond from CutNut''s jewellery stores you will not get a poor cut
9.gif

katealt

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say I just received my diamond that I bought online (overnightdiamonds.com) and it is stunning. Even though it is a J colour, the ideal cut makes it so white! I know I got a great deal and with the AGS report I am not at all worried, but I am sure my husband will get it checked out here. I went to Chadstone mall (here in Melbourne) yesterday and went to every jewelry store in the mall to look at settings... the settings were pretty lame and so expensive and the diamonds were so ridiculously priced and the quality was overall pretty poor. I am so happy with my brilliant dimaond and have zero regrets. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Kate
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results