shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for brand / metal of heirloom-to-be watch ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I don''t know much about watches.

If I wanted to purchase a luxury watch (say, up to 5k USD) that would someday be passed onto my children, what brand(s) come to your minds? As in, what will always be respected and known years from now?

Also, what metal is "best"? I like the look of white (vs yellow)... so 14k white gold? Stainless steel? What is appropriate for an heirloom-type piece?

BTW, I love some Cartier watches I''ve seen online... what ballpark are we talking? I''m sure it''s way out of my league.

Anne

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get some nice stainless steel Cartiers for well under 5K. They are classic and hold up very well. As a matter of fact I just gave my 17 year old daughter my old one. She loves it and wears it on special occasions. HTH

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Is this for you, your husband? What gender should the wearer of the watch be? Personally I love and adore all things Breitling if you are looking for a watch to hold up for ever this is the one for you. They are not tempremental the way some other watches are. If you can find a look you like these are fantastic.
30.gif

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks both for your comments. I should have clarified...the watch would be for a woman (me). BTW, I''m really into small diamonds around the face.

Anne

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2005 8:25:48 PM
Author:anne_h
Hi all,

I don''t know much about watches.

If I wanted to purchase a luxury watch (say, up to 5k USD) that would someday be passed onto my children, what brand(s) come to your minds? As in, what will always be respected and known years from now?

Also, what metal is ''best''? I like the look of white (vs yellow)... so 14k white gold? Stainless steel? What is appropriate for an heirloom-type piece?

BTW, I love some Cartier watches I''ve seen online... what ballpark are we talking? I''m sure it''s way out of my league.

Anne
buy a mechanical watch.the value will always hold up better than quartz. are you looking for a ladies or a gents watch?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a stainless steel watch by Maurice Lacroix, it has beautiful diamonds on either side of the face. I believe it cost me 3K. It is very similar in design to the way more expensive Pateck Phileppe. SP?? Anyway I have had it for over 3 years and love it. It''s a sophisticated design and they are very well known. Or if you want something mechanical, you can always buy a SS Rolex. Not sure if they do diamonds on their stainless steel versions. They do I know on their 2 tone watches, but you said you don''t care for the 2 tone look.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
interesting thread becasue I am about to purchase a new watch---I actually want something very sport-y and durable. I have two cartiers: a platinum tortue (mechanical) and a santos (automatic. I have a couple of rules of thumb that I think are pretty basic: if you are spending over about 2000 NEVER buy a quartz watch. ie a cartier and diamond demoiselle. they dont hold their value if you ever want to trade or sell. Stainless or white gold are the best value and keep their looks the longest. When yellow gold gets scratched, its more noticeable.

So my question is this: I am a sort of a watch snob.........but I am considering the new Chanel J12 Superleggera------------any thoughts?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I need to know! (ie: mechanical vs quartz, etc).

Anything else to look out for?

What brand(s) do you think will keep their cachet/reputation for years to come?

Thanks a bunch!!

Anne

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2005 8:52:16 AM
Author: windowshopper
interesting thread becasue I am about to purchase a new watch---I actually want something very sport-y and durable. I have two cartiers: a platinum tortue (mechanical) and a santos (automatic. I have a couple of rules of thumb that I think are pretty basic: if you are spending over about 2000 NEVER buy a quartz watch. ie a cartier and diamond demoiselle. they dont hold their value if you ever want to trade or sell. Stainless or white gold are the best value and keep their looks the longest. When yellow gold gets scratched, its more noticeable.

So my question is this: I am a sort of a watch snob.........but I am considering the new Chanel J12 Superleggera------------any thoughts?
WS
if you''re a watch snob.
34.gif
why are you even thinking about a Chanel?
33.gif
you should be looking at a TRUE manufacture brand of mechanical watches.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2005 2:28:27 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 10/22/2005 8:52:16 AM
Author: windowshopper

WS
if you''re a watch snob.
34.gif
why are you even thinking about a Chanel?
33.gif
you should be looking at a TRUE manufacture brand of mechanical watches.
you are absolutely right--thats my dilemma. BUt I have two pretty nice watches and I want sport, durable, different--any ideas?????????????????????

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:anne_h

My thought would be to look at today's most valued "antiques" which have already proven that their appeal has lasted for generations...Cartier, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piquet, Vacheron Constantin, Piaget, Bvlgari, etc...

widget

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks widget!

Anne

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think if you are a "snob" then proablly Rolex, I am not a fan but they do get noticed for the amount of money you spend on them though they do not seem to hold up very well for the price.
Personally I do love my Breitling, and I think the diamonds on the face and bezel look great. But watches are a very personal thing, just like any other peice of jewlery. I would say you need to find dealers and visit them. Also beware of buying one over the internet, that voids alot things.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2005 5:49:30 PM
Author: Matatora
I think if you are a ''snob'' then proablly Rolex, I am not a fan but they do get noticed for the amount of money you spend on them though they do not seem to hold up very well for the price.
Personally I do love my Breitling, and I think the diamonds on the face and bezel look great. But watches are a very personal thing, just like any other peice of jewlery. I would say you need to find dealers and visit them. Also beware of buying one over the internet, that voids alot things.
actually i am not a snob snob-i only meant i like high quality--i.e. rolex cartier etc and i never quartz. i actually find the rolex''s boring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results