shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me Nitpick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jawake

Rough_Rock
First of all, I love you people. Thanks to your knowledge and fanaticism I learned more here in a week than I have in a month reading books and manuals. So thanks for that.

Now, please help me with my final decision, which seems to me to rest on very minor but possibly significant differences in the cut of two diamonds.

Here is the basic info for Diamonds 1 & 2, the final two in my search.

Depth Table Crown Angle Crown % Pavilion Angle Pavilion % Price
#1 1.54 H SI1 60.6 55 34.9 15.5 40.7 42.9 11,300
#2 1.55 H VS2 61.3 56 33.7 14.8 41.2 43.6 11,100

I don''t know whether it is significant to also mention that Diamond #1 is a Hearts & Arrows cut, and is eye-clean according to virtually any definition of the term. It may also be significant that I have seen Diamond 2 (and thought it was beautiful) but will have to order #1 online to view it.

So in a nutshell, since the price is basically a wash, the question is whether the VS2 clarity of #2 outweighs the cut superiority of #1.

I''ve kind of run into the limits of my knowledge and the distinction between the two stones seems hypertechnical at this point. That''s why I''m turning to your expertise. I want to make my decision monday, so if you can help me, please do.

Thanks for any help you can give, and thanks for all the intelligent discussion going on here. IT WAS A HUGE HELP.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, let me preface this with saying that I am NO expert! The following is my opinion only.

From the information given, I like #1 better. Several reasons. It scores 1 (Ex/Ex/Ex/VG) on the HCA. Some people say that "1" is a sweet spot, although any score under 2 is considered excellent. The second diamond scores 2.6, VG/VG/VG/VG "worth buying if the price is right". It's taking a hit because of the deep pav angle -- although the shallower crown is probably still making this a nice stone. But I think #1 will probably be nicer. I like the shallower total depth and the smaller table, and SI clarity doesn't scare me at all, especially since you've apparently had a trusted vendor look at it. I love H&A stones, also, those arrows just mesmerize me. SO, I say, go for #1. To me, it's a no brainer. Just be sure that you have a good return policy if for some unlikely reason it doesn't meet your expectations.

BTW, if you have photos, IS images, etc., those would also be helpful.

Lynn

PS BTW, I don't think you're "nit-picking" at all! Believe me, we've tried to split WAY FINER HAIRS THAN THIS AROUND HERE!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

jawake

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that thoughtful response Lynn. I''ll look for pictures. I should have also asked how you feel about the price. Any thoughts?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I think Lynn has given you some good advice. I, too, would pick #1 primarily because of the lower depth percentage. You don''t list the diameter, but I would imagine it would face up just a tiny bit bigger. The crown and pavilion angle are very solid (my previous stone had those exact measurements). I''m sure #2 is an awesome stone as well. Any chance you could compare the two? Prices seem reasonable.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''m not in the market right now so I''m not staying on top of prices... but it seems like a decent price to me. Did you do a search on the PS homepage to see what comparable diamonds are selling for?

Also... unless you have your heart set on something definitely over 1.5 carat, you could probably save a significant amount of money by finding a stone just shy of that marker. The price jumps considerably at 1.5 but the visual difference between a 1.5 and a 1.44 or 1.45, etc., is miniscule.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like #1 as well, mainly because of the depth. If it's eye clean, I would say that would be my choice. The prices seem in line as well. Good luck!!! HTH
1.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 8:11:22 PM
Author: kaleigh
I like #1 as well, mainly because of the depth. If it''s eye clean, I would say that would be my choice. The prices seem in line as well. Good luck!!! HTH
1.gif
Mt thoughts exactly!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I like #1 as well. Same reason as the others. The numbers are good, and I like the depth better. I will always pick an H&A over another any day. It is my preference. Hope this helps.

Shay

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Number one definitely, as long as it is eye clean.

Let us know what you decide!!

jawake

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I am one seriously anxious dude about all this, so please continue to post any thoughts on this!) I will update you all as to which one I choose and how it goes.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
assuming the first is eye-clean (what were the definitions you were judging this against?) i would favor it over #2.

jawake

Rough_Rock

Thanks to all for the help. If you can help me just a little bit more, I''d be very grateful.

Here are the final two contenders: (and this time it''s final final!)
2.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6117405

and

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5950005

My questions are pretty obvious:

(1) Which would you buy, assuming both were within the budget.
(2) What, if anything, would make the purchase of either of these diamonds a bad idea.

Again, MANY thank yous for your help!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see nothing wrong with either of them. They are both going to be gorgeus stones. I don''t know what you exact budget is, but if you can swing the first one, that would be my first choice. HTH
1.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
I like #2 better.

jawake

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh & Daniel. Thanks for clearing everything up!

If either of you have a minute or two, could you explain the reasons for your recommendations?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 is a tad bigger and it''s an H as opposed to an I. I also like the idealscope image a little better, but it''s splitting hairs really. #2 is awesome as well and less money. So there ya go. Flip a coin perhaps. No I was just kidding. Call WF tomorrow and have them eye ball each of these stones for you. They will tell you if #1 is eye clean and which one to pick. They are exremely honest.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Its hard to say- I just like #2 b/c of the specs seemed to be more in the sweet spot (according to tim at gog). #1 IS image seems to have more contrast than the other, but as kaleigh said, its spliiting hairs, they are minor trade offs with both stones like price and color but both would be awesome!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Between them, I''d likely pick the second - the 1.50 stone.....but really, the best thing to do is get on the phone with Whiteflash.

Call them and ask them to pull both stones and compare them for you. Whichever one they think is the better choice, that''s what I''d go with.

You cannot lose----either pick is stellar. But they can SEE the diamonds.....so I''d really want them to pick based on their eyes. That''s far more telling than splitting numbers on paper.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely think they''re both incredible stones, but I don''t know if I like #1 $1,000 worth more than #2. I agree that the best thing to do would be to call up WF and ask for them to eyeball both stones for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results