shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your pears!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
As requested I''m adding another pear-my upgrade to this wonderful thread. As soon as I get my hands on a camera (mine went missing) I will post more interesting shots. I love keeping this thread alive!

IMG_0774s.jpg

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Here''es the last one for now. Not that much more fun but it shows some more of the stone''s fire

IMG_0795.jpg

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous pear! and such a classic setting!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I just do not get tired of this thread! I can''t get over you ladies'' beautiful pears. Before I found Pricescope and was brainwashed (just kidding
27.gif
) into wanting a H&A round, I was all about the pears and ovals. Mmm, you''re taking me back to the beginning of my love of diamonds...

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
kittykat,

I just love your new pear ring. May you enjoy it for years to come.

molly3795

Rough_Rock
Can you tell me the dimensions, ratio of your pear? It is so gorgeous...I am shopping for a nice 3.00 pear...do you think strong blue fluor. is a bad thing in a D SI1 3.10?? thanks, molly

I meant to add: On CFlutist's pear, thanks

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Yummy....I love Pears!
18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2005 9:44:36 AM
Author: molly3795

do you think strong blue fluor. is a bad thing in a D SI1 3.10??
Well... no, if you like it, if all else is fine with the stone so that the object is desirable... and the price falls in line. Aparently there is a reason for strong fluorescence to account for a slight discount for colorless diamonds. There is the bad memory of grading bias, and probably some amount of it left (don''t know - just in theory) but I doubt that the relative ''disdain'' for fluorescence has much to do with some visual effect. Whenever that happens, is rare so chances are this particular diamond will look great anyway. If the price is attractive now, than the question of ''value'' is not as difficult either.

Are you talking about THIS diamond (GIA 14595013) ? For some reason it is listed at 33k too by other sellers, but the links do not work
6.gif
''Guess the precise price remains a bit to be talked about...

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
If you click on the link Val gave and then click on fluorescence, you get plenty of info, including this comment:
'The GIA conclusion: fluorescent diamonds are stigmatized needlessly, which puts a negative impact on their saleability.'

molly3795

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input...that was one of the stones I was considering...but IT and every other stone I researched came up on the PS search as NO LONGER AVAILABLE...I had spent so much time looking at the individual vendor sites, it never occurred to me that they were still listing stones that were long gone? I can't believe I wasted my whole weekend, and ended up with no promising stones....the 2.35 pear that was sent on to D.Atlas (the one with the 1.71 ratio) had an obvious bowtie in the pictures Chris emailed me, and I am sure now that I want something closer to a 1:50 ratio...My husband was kind enough to increase my budget...so I started looking at larger stones....but I don't see much that's not spoken for....am I doing something wrong? I'm starting to not have fun...I couldn't sleep all weekend, excited and nervous, thinking I had to chose between all the interesting diamonds!!! I feel really foolish!

How in the WORLD did CFlutist find such a beautiful stone??? Does it take alot of PATIENCE or WHAT
33.gif
??

Also, I can't go as high as $33K...My husband said I was price gouging him like the oil companies...made me laugh, but I got the point...I felt bad, because he has been so nice about all this...

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
You have my sympathy Molly! When we were looking for my pear, the first two we ordered online turned out to be already sold to someone else. That''s one of the downsides of virtual inventory. We gave the vendor a list of stats and it was almost like dealing with a B&M chain: they kept offering stones that were nothing like what we''d asked for (eg 0.7ct stones when we asked for 0.9).

I believe cflutist gave her vendor a list of required stats and was lucky that they came up with the perfect stone very quickly. That''s not how it goes for everyone, so the rest of us do have to be patient
8.gif

Sorry to hear your 2.35 had a bowtie. As you''ve seen from the beautiful pears in this thread, it is possible to find one without a bowtie ... you just have to keep looking. In a way, it''s like finding the perfect man
31.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 12:43:47 AM
Author: cinnabar

As you''ve seen from the beautiful pears in this thread, it is possible to find one without a bowtie ... you just have to keep looking. In a way, it''s like finding the perfect man
31.gif
LOL, so true, Cinnabar.
9.gif
And sometimes we need to make some compromises along the way.

When I decided on a pear for my upgrade, I knew it was not going to be easy. Nice ones are few and far between. I did get lucky and found almost exactly waht I wanted pretty quickly. I did have to compromise a little and get a 1.67:1 ratio although my preference is about 1.60:1, but all the other specs were exactly for me (E color, med blue fluoro, eye-clean SI2), so I grabbed it. And, most importantly, the price was right. Afterward, I went through buyer''s remorse and compared it to every pear I found for about a year, but nothing compared, so I finally felt better about the little compromise I made.

Give it a little time, Molly. Finding just the right one will be that much sweeter when you do.
1.gif

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Here is a plain 1 ct pendant that is currently on it's way to me with a pair of pear .66 earrings. I plan on resetting all but not sure about how. Maybe in a 3 stone ring or use the earrings as dangle enhancers to some 1 ct studs for when I need to dress up. Not sure yet. Will post pics when the loot arrives....Maybe you guys can help with ideas. This one is a 7.5 X 5.5MM H si2

Bethspearfront.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2005 12:27:39 AM

How in the WORLD did CFlutist find such a beautiful stone??? Does it take alot of PATIENCE or ... LUCK
2.gif
About 1.5 : 1 L/w pear... how about this one ?

There are a few others within range listed by the same shop 9I believe this is their in-store stock too), so if one doesn't do, there would be some choice.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 7:53:09 AM
Author: diamondlil

Date: 9/26/2005 12:43:47 AM
Author: cinnabar

As you''ve seen from the beautiful pears in this thread, it is possible to find one without a bowtie ... you just have to keep looking. In a way, it''s like finding the perfect man
31.gif
LOL, so true, Cinnabar.
9.gif
And sometimes we need to make some compromises along the way.

When I decided on a pear for my upgrade, I knew it was not going to be easy. Nice ones are few and far between. I did get lucky and found almost exactly waht I wanted pretty quickly. I did have to compromise a little and get a 1.67:1 ratio although my preference is about 1.60:1, but all the other specs were exactly for me (E color, med blue fluoro, eye-clean SI2), so I grabbed it. And, most importantly, the price was right. Afterward, I went through buyer''s remorse and compared it to every pear I found for about a year, but nothing compared, so I finally felt better about the little compromise I made.

Give it a little time, Molly. Finding just the right one will be that much sweeter when you do.
1.gif

I so agree with Diamonlil. Pears are probably the hardest shape because there is no one general "ideal" cut. It''s not like finding a round brilliant where there are fairly strict guidelines to what makes a good cut. I look on line and the depths, lengths to widths, and tables vary widely. I feel like I totally lucked out when I got my pear.

Have fun looking -- half of the fun is in the chase!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Beth, I think the dangle enhancers sound like a great idea. I love my leverback dangle pears but never thought of making them into enhancers. What a good idea!

Would you want side diamonds with the 1ct pear or another gemstone?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I like the dangle enhancer idea too. What a great way to dress up a pair of round studs! I''ll have to keep that in mind myself for *someday.*
2.gif

Will the 1 ct pear be an e-ring or a RHR. The options are limitless. Are you planing a 3-stone style even if you use the smaller pears for enhancers?

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Would you want side diamonds with the 1ct pear or another gemstone?
Diamonds of course
31.gif
I love Kitty Kat''s HW style.

Will the 1 ct pear be an e-ring or a RHR. The options are limitless. Are you planing a 3-stone style even if you use the smaller pears for enhancers?
I have been married for 12 or 13 years, I can''t remember
6.gif
I will make something that could be used as either most likely.

I will have to see if the pear earrings are of a similar l/w ratio and would be complimentary as sides AND how a 1 ct pear looks on my hand before I make a decision.

Thanks Ladies, I will keep you updated

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE pear necklaces. I think it is such a flattering shape for the neckline. Maybe you could add a halo. That would be so beautiful.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 12:27:39 AM
thanks for the input...that was one of the stones I was considering...but IT and every other stone I researched came up on the PS search as NO LONGER AVAILABLE...I had spent so much time looking at the individual vendor sites, it never occurred to me that they were still listing stones that were long gone? I can't believe I wasted my whole weekend, and ended up with no promising stones....the 2.35 pear that was sent on to D.Atlas (the one with the 1.71 ratio) had an obvious bowtie in the pictures Chris emailed me, and I am sure now that I want something closer to a 1:50 ratio...My husband was kind enough to increase my budget...so I started looking at larger stones....but I don't see much that's not spoken for....am I doing something wrong? I'm starting to not have fun...I couldn't sleep all weekend, excited and nervous, thinking I had to chose between all the interesting diamonds!!! I feel really foolish!

How in the WORLD did CFlutist find such a beautiful stone??? Does it take alot of PATIENCE or WHAT
33.gif
??

Also, I can't go as high as $33K...My husband said I was price gouging him like the oil companies...made me laugh, but I got the point...I felt bad, because he has been so nice about all this...

While certainly there was some luck involved, I'd say it was due a lot more to the knowledge that cflutist has, and her persistence and patience in holding out for quality over other factors, and to her relationship with the jeweler (and the many stones bought there by cflutist and her friends with her assistance).

Cflutist was pretty tight on her specs that she gave to the jeweler, and they know how picky she is about her larger stones. I'd hazard a guess that they didn't even bother telling her about most of their available stones, knowing she would reject them, and I'd secondly hazard a guess that they made a call to their wholesale supplier(s) along this line - "We have a 3+ ct sale if you can get us a stone with these specs or better...".

Of course the $$$$ incentive probably helped there! LOL!

Anyway, hang in there Molly and keep working the vendor(s) until you get one that works well with you and for you. And hold out for the nicest stone you can get as it will be something (especially in a pear) that you will treasure for a long time.

LOL, just have to tell a story here - on the Major Upgrade thread I started, I had planned to use a picture of a stone from the internet...just before I posted the start of the thread, I asked cflutist for some help in picking the picture to use... She rejected every single picture I found in pears, then every one we found in rounds, and finally all the ovals...at that point I was ready to give up - this was not even real and she was rejecting them!!!!

Let's just say that I feel quite justified in never trying to suprise her with a major stone, ever....but I will give her a "you can buy this on me" card she can use when she selects her own stone...LOL!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2005 9:44:36 AM
Can you tell me the dimensions, ratio of your pear? It is so gorgeous...I am shopping for a nice 3.00 pear...do you think strong blue fluor. is a bad thing in a D SI1 3.10?? thanks, molly

I meant to add: On CFlutist's pear, thanks

Hi Molly, websailor (DH) told me about your question:

To answer your question, my 3.01 F-SI1 pear has the following dimensions:

12.99 x 7.91 x 4.83

Table is 57% (1A = 55 - 60)

Depth is 61.1% (1A = 59 - 63)

L:W = 1.64 (trade preference is 1.50 - 1.75).

As you can see, my numbers are right smack in the middle of the desirable ranges.

The numbers are somewhat important but alone cannot tell you about its
"shape appeal" or girdle outline as it is called during diamond grading.

Things to look for under shape appeal are:

UW - uneven wings (not matched on both sides)
US - uneven shoulders (not matched on both sides)
FW - flat wings (should form low arcs - but not so low as to look straight or flat)
HS - high or square shoulders (should have a gently but distinctly rounded arch)
BW - bulged Wings (tends to make stones look squat or fat)
UP - undefined point (a blunt instead of sharp point)

Hope you find the pear of your dreams.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
cflutist has the most beautiful pear I''ve ever seen and its got a fab color and clarity!

I hope you find something great Molly.

Best,
Lori

molly3795

Rough_Rock
Hello and thanks so much for the info from Cflutist !!

Here are the stats on the LATEST contender:

GIA
3.02 Pear F SI1
12.27x8.30x5.22
depth 62.9
table 55
thin to thick
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Faint Fluor.

I think it is listed on Blue Nile and there is a copy of the GIA to review...I have pictures that were sent to me, and the shape is REALLY nice, but I can't tell much else from a picture...Do you find this to be true? I could never buy a diamond based on a picture...Can't tell if the bowtie is that obvious...hoping that the decent numbers will help minimize it...

I can have the stone sent here to an appraiser in my town, but I don't know of any that I would consider a diamond expert...My other option is to have it sent to Martin Fuller, but that will require me to drive 2 hours to go see it..(on interstate 95, no less, which is really a crazy road) Do you think it is the right decision to have it sent there?

I would love to post the prelim pics, but I do not know how to reduce them and my husband REFUSED to help...just not interested in this diamond project!!! thank heavens for PS
41.gif
Oh yeah, I think the ratio is 1:48

How I wish I had CFlutist to look at the diamond FOR me!! I loved Websailor's story about how she was rejecting all the "virtual" diamonds!!!

I know that Cflutists' numbers were both right in the middle of the ranges for depth and table...this stone is basically on either end of the tables....62.9 depth and 55 table...hmmm ...I hope it won't make too much of a difference in appearance..someone tell me if they know how to reduce the pictures!!

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 11:51:30 PM
Hello and thanks so much for the info from Cflutist !!

Here are the stats on the LATEST contender:

GIA

3.02 Pear F SI1

12.27x8.30x5.22

depth 62.9

table 55

thin to thick

Polish Very Good

Symmetry Very Good

Faint Fluor.

I think it is listed on Blue Nile and there is a copy of the GIA to review...I have pictures that were sent to me, and the shape is REALLY nice, but I can''t tell much else from a picture...Do you find this to be true? I could never buy a diamond based on a picture...Can''t tell if the bowtie is that obvious...hoping that the decent numbers will help minimize it...

I can have the stone sent here to an appraiser in my town, but I don''t know of any that I would consider a diamond expert...My other option is to have it sent to Martin Fuller, but that will require me to drive 2 hours to go see it..(on interstate 95, no less, which is really a crazy road) Do you think it is the right decision to have it sent there?

I would love to post the prelim pics, but I do not know how to reduce them and my husband REFUSED to help...just not interested in this diamond project!!! thank heavens for PS
41.gif
Oh yeah, I think the ratio is 1:48

How I wish I had CFlutist to look at the diamond FOR me!! I loved Websailor''s story about how she was rejecting all the ''virtual'' diamonds!!!

I know that Cflutists'' numbers were both right in the middle of the ranges for depth and table...this stone is basically on either end of the tables....62.9 depth and 55 table...hmmm ...I hope it won''t make too much of a difference in appearance..someone tell me if they know how to reduce the pictures!!

I know this public post is going to be a bit cryptic, but here it goes anyway....

What a coincidence we have! Talk about the six degrees of separation!!!! Here is a perfect example!

PM to follow....

Chamomile

Rough_Rock

Hi. I am new to this forum. I should say I''m new to posting, as I have spent many hours exploring this site and admiring all of your great rings!

28.gif

Here is my pear- Its a .84 ct I vs2 set in a 2.5 mm yellow gold cathedral setting.

myring192837.jpg

Chamomile

Rough_Rock
Okay, so that didn''t work out so well. How do I make the picture smaller?

Chamomile

Rough_Rock
lets see if this works....

secondtry8383.jpg

Chamomile

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rascal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results