shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum and Rhodium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracy458

Rough_Rock
I''ve heard differing opinions on putting a rhodium coating on a platinum ring (engagement). What are your opinions on this - is it okay to do this or should platinum just be left alone?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Tracy,

Some would say, definately yes and others think it is a damnable sin.

If you don''t mind having your Ering plated with rhodium, then I would say yes, as it aids the look just a little as the ring will look ever so slightly brighter.

If the jeweller used white gold solder then you will do well to plate it, as some yellow would leach through - many jewellers do use yellow gold solder.

If the jeweller used platinum solder at the lower melting point then it would grey over time and rhodium will stop that happening.

It will plate the solder joins and should never wear away in the crucial places as most solder joins, by their nature, are not exposed to wear.

If the ring was made with a high iridium content and fused, or soldered with a plum plat 950 solder then, there is no case for hiding future defects, but even in this case it is worthwhile rhodium plating the ring.

I offer my clients the choice. There is no real difference in the case above as the colour is virtually the same. You will never see it wear away, but when the choice is mine I still rhodium plate, just for the slight extra brightness. It also makes the diamonds look better.

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results