shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! I broke my diamond!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
laney- i am so sorry! i know i would be feeling the same way as you. poor girl!! just be glad for that insurance... hopefully you can find another precious stone easily again!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Laney, I''m so soorry to hear this. I will be anxious to hear how your insurance handles it all. I have faith that it will work out, and you''ll get a satisfactory replacement, but it''s unfortunately you have to go through the process. You know all of us here at PS will be here for support.

Insurance is an absolute must on an item like this. Two lashings each for Kmom and Mara.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Laney, I''m am sooooo sorry!!! But at least you have the insurance, and I''m sure Allstate will take care of everything to your satisfaction.

Please let us know what they say on Monday and what the process will be.

And don''t worry too much, you could have not only broke your diamond, but also your ring finger. And then, who knows how long it would be before you could wear anything on that finger again!
2.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Kmom and Mara, you have company. Thought I would never be at risk from losing mine and so never insured. This would be a horror story without insurance.
32.gif

Laney, I hope the replacement process goes really smoothly.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/9/2005 9:23:37 PM
Author: laney
Hey Mara..

NOOPEEE no feather or inclusion AT ALL in that area. I'm an SI2 girl.. but my inclusion is right down the middle of the table. It's still there -- it didn't extend or change shape either.

We'll have to see how good Allstate is going to be. With the amount insured.. that is listed on our policy.. I could get a nice.. actually larger stone... however... how in the heck am I going to be able to buy it myself...

I'll find out Monday I guess...
Hoorah for calm nice loving Hubby!!!

1. Mara, Laney and All, you have probably noticed many times that I have commented that inclusions do not often make a diamond more vunerable.
Most chipped diamonds are a sa aresult of a blow in a cleavage direction. Inclusions STOP cleavage by interupting the nice easy cleavage.

2. I do not like 4 prong settings, especially higher ones like yours. If you want 4 prong setting then have at least a slightly thick girdle on your diamond please.

3. Even 6 prong settings - I usually turn them this way because most damage occurs on the sides (yours is an exceptional accident Laney)
Here is a link to a picture (and no - I will not sell outside Australia) http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/product/ring_enquiry.asp?RN=007&FP=ring%207&RC=1

Patty

Ideal_Rock
The thing that worries me is finding another F, SI2 stone.

Those are probably my favorite specs of all and you don''t that combo very often.
8.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, for your kindness and support.

I will have to reconsider, possibly the setting.. I have a tacori - the 4 prong. Nothing was wrong at all with the setting - and the stone is still secure in it. Funny huh. Not loose at all.

Mrssalvo - it''s good to know that you''ve had a good experience w/allstate. I hope to have one too and am staying positive.

And yes I am worried about the combo - F SI2... my SI2 was really clean.. only one inclusion. But I do feel the value that it was insured for should cover the appropriate replacement. Ahhh.

My finger is lonely w/just my wedding band..

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2005 11:51:52 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

1. Mara, Laney and All, you have probably noticed many times that I have commented that inclusions do not often make a diamond more vunerable.

Most chipped diamonds are a sa aresult of a blow in a cleavage direction. Inclusions STOP cleavage by interupting the nice easy cleavage.

2. I do not like 4 prong settings, especially higher ones like yours. If you want 4 prong setting then have at least a slightly thick girdle on your diamond please.

3. Even 6 prong settings - I usually turn them this way because most damage occurs on the sides (yours is an exceptional accident Laney)

Here is a link to a picture (and no - I will not sell outside Australia) http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/product/ring_enquiry.asp?RN=007&FP=ring%207&RC=1

My husband says "I didn''t know that diamonds had CLEAVAGE"... ha ha.. very funny honey...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well Garry, I guess I''m glad my diamond is an SI2 with lots of little white wispy feathers all over, maybe that could be a good thing if I bang it and it chips?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2005 1:30:22 PM
My husband says ''I didn''t know that diamonds had CLEAVAGE''... ha ha.. very funny honey...

LOL! He''ll probably never look at diamonds the same way again...
2.gif

Lynn

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry. It sux when you put your heart into a search and it gets destroyed.

I, too, have Allstate. I have NEVER had a claim problem in the past. When I added the rider for the anniversary ring, I was very specific in my questions. My agent was more than happy to either cash me out or have me select a stone. To quote "wow, you certainly bought that well & know your stuff". He said he just wanted me whole again in case of a loss. We do have all of our insurance with Allstate & a long history.

I would call your agent on Mon. Often they know the good adjusters to put on your case. Did you submit all the bells and whistles that GOG supplies on their stones? If not, pull it out. Also, explain your concerns about stone choice. Even if they do make you go through "their" jeweler, you can reject stones that don''t live up to the cert/specs.

Be pleasant but forceful w/ your ducks in a row before you speak w/ the adjuster. When our house was broken into, mother''s platinum engagment set (sans diamonds) was stolen. I described it to an estate jeweler. She wrote up an "appraisal" based on what similar settings w/ filigree would sell for. The adjuster wanted to give me the scrap on the platinum. I said, "No, I have a replacement policy. I have spoken to an estate jeweler and this is what it would cost to replace the ring." He said simply - O.K. And, those rings weren''t schedule on our rider. Allstate has a blanket 1500.00 jewelry loss in the event of theft.

Good luck! So sorry though. I guess the sunny side of this is that you get to diamond shop again!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
F&I Thank you,

We actually got the stone appraised again after GOG, but ended up submitting GOG''s details in case of an issue. I will definately explain what we want in terms of a replacement stone. My concern is the SI2 portion -- but I think the combo of the F SI2 will keep me in a good range if they go on specs only. I have all the paperwork - 2 appraisals and am ready to go in talking details. We too have other things insured w/allstate, but I''m not sure if that helps in a big picture kind of way.

Also, we never went back and insured the tacori (which didn''t get damaged) so the amount is for the stone only. I have to figure out if I need to remove the stone from the setting (not giving the setting to them NOOOWAYY) for this process. Should be interesting. I know waay more from pricescope about diamonds than I should.. so hopefully they''ll put me with someone good.

Thanks for your comments. Everything helps in a time like this. And yeah.. I guess I should start looking around... :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2005 4:56:27 PM
F&I Thank you,

We actually got the stone appraised again after GOG, but ended up submitting GOG''s details in case of an issue. I will definately explain what we want in terms of a replacement stone. My concern is the SI2 portion -- but I think the combo of the F SI2 will keep me in a good range if they go on specs only. I have all the paperwork - 2 appraisals and am ready to go in talking details. We too have other things insured w/allstate, but I''m not sure if that helps in a big picture kind of way.

Also, we never went back and insured the tacori (which didn''t get damaged) so the amount is for the stone only. I have to figure out if I need to remove the stone from the setting (not giving the setting to them NOOOWAYY) for this process. Should be interesting. I know waay more from pricescope about diamonds than I should.. so hopefully they''ll put me with someone good.

Thanks for your comments. Everything helps in a time like this. And yeah.. I guess I should start looking around... :)
Yes, your relationship to Allstate does help. Our primary agent''s brother insures our second home in another state. When we recently had a claim - that helped! Again, I would talk to your agent first.

Curious, does any of the paper work state anything relative to "eye clean"? If so, this could help.

I would think the best thing is take your time. I''m sure it will be hard no having a sparklie on the finger post haste
2.gif
- but think about it long term.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s some ideas to get you started. Lots of F SI''s out there!

laney ideas.jpg

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Mara,

I started to look... IF and that''s a big IF, I get what we insured for -- which I got to assume we will as the appraisal is less than 2 years old...

I can get an upgrade in size! Oh.. shhhhh. I didn''t say that... I guess if they can''t find a suitable replacement than I can cash out.

I wonder... do REPLACEMENT stones come from the same place (channel) as what normal vendors have access to? Would my adjuster have access to the same stones?? Curiouso...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laney,
I don't want to burst your 'bigger stone bubble" but allstate, at least our rider is cash value which is different than cash out. they will cash out my stone for what "they could buy it for" from one of "their" consultants, jewelers, etc. not necessary what i could 'buy" it for retail. doesn't matter how much it's insured for they probably won't write you a check for that amount. Hopefully, your situation is better, but that's what happening with me.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
This whole "insurance racket" just sends me to the moon! With my policy, it was explained to me that I have to insure it for its appraised value (thousands more than it cost online) -- but IF I have to file a claim - they replace it through their wholesaler.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Well, I hope for their sakes I never have to file a claim -- because I will fight like a tomcat for an equivalent stone!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
My husband says "Woe is them"!!!!
23.gif

Lynn

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel fortuate the the allstate consultant they sent me too is great and very understanding and fair. she however does recommend Chubb for all her normal customer''s because she feels it''s more fair and just easier.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Laney, I am SOOOO sorry to hear what happened. I too know the sick feeling you have from damage to your ring, I felt that same way when my tacori band was being sawed through to get it off my finger when it got stuck. I also know how it feels when things ALWAYS go wrong on a weekend or a Friday night when everything is closed and you have to wait through the weekend to get the answers you need. nervewracking.

I truly hope everything works out for you. I am sure there are plenty of great stones out there for you. I know it sounds dumb, but thankfully you didn't break your finger or damage the beautiful Tacori band. did I read you will be possibly replacing that too?

do let us know how it goes!!!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo -

I figured that we''d only get what they could for the stone. Insurance is a racket anyway you slice it. And I know they get "wholesale" prices. My hubby and I were thinking about kicking some $$$ in for an upgrade anyway. So we''ll see.

I have not idea what the calc will be "retail value" of stone vs what I could get online. If it''s bailey banks & biddle prices... well then I''m good! LOL! But I do realize that I should get what I insured.

I hope I can get as good as what I had... :)

PunchnPie - Your right - no hurt finger - or hurt setting. I really love the tacori and really want to keep it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well in that case, i would take the advantage of the opportunity and definitely get a bigger stone
31.gif

please keep us posted on what they say. i'm curious to see how they handle your claim.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
laney,
Good luck in your search, seems there are many nice stones out there for you. So glad your hand is ok, and I''m sure you will be able to find a beautiful stone. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow and will be thinking of you!!!!!
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2005 1:30:22 PM

Date: 7/10/2005 11:51:52 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

My husband says ''I didn''t know that diamonds had CLEAVAGE''... ha ha.. very funny honey...
yeah....eye visible CLEAVAGE isn''t always bad.
31.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I just saw this! How horrible, I''d never expect to see pictures like that. Even one day after, you seem much more calm than I''d be!! Update us with how it works with the insurance, I''m curious...good luck with everything, I hope it all goes smoothly.

smappraisal

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Hope you feel a little better now, as the shock of fracturing your diamond is wearing off. Your accident brings a number of things to the forefront.
First, it''s not that unusual that a stone would fracture as yours did. Diamond has 4 cleavage directions and when a cutter first takes a piece of rough to polish and facet into a finished diamond, one of the very first things he does is "orient" these cleavage directions so that they are running perpendicular to the table of the stone as much as can be to secure the stone in the event of a hit. If the cleavage directions ultimately run parallel to the table, it becomes the equivalent of a piece of wood being split "with the grain" as opposed to against the grain in the event of a hit. A piece of your diamond slivered as would happen when you hit it fairly parallel to the cleavage direction. As you may know, it is extremely difficult to split a piece of wood against the grain. Same with diamond. From a gemolgical standpoint, that is basically what happened.
In terms of insurance and coverage, it is a classic case. I constantly advise clients that it is the detail of the description of the article being insured that matters most when filing an appraisal with an insurance company. The description is what''s used when they go about the process of replacing your diamond. Insurance companies are in the business of replacing "like and kind". And they are trying to do it as cheap as possible! They are not in the business of sitting down and disbursing a check for the amount the article is appraised for, or spending that sum of money in the process of replacing "like and kind". The appraised dollar amount is primarily used to assess a risk, whereby they generally use a $12-15 figure( per thousand of appraised value) to assign a dollar premium value to the risk they are about to insure. Accordingly, a diamond with a $10,000 appraisal value is going to give you a $120-150 premium invoice every year, but when it comes to replacing that diamond in like and kind, most likely it will not take $10,000 to do it. This concept is rarely explained by the jewler who sells the diamond or the insurance company who takes on the risk of insuring it.
The lessons to be learned here are 1) always stress a very accurate and detalied description of the article-a digital photo would be a great help 2) don''t overinsure because you are just paying unnecessary premium dollars that you will never see again 3) ask the jeweler to put a 20-25% max premium over your actual cost. It conserves your insurance dollars spent. That diamond that sells for $ 5,000.00 and ends up with an appraisal value of $10,000.00 could be insured for $6,500.00, be covered sufficiently, and in the process save you insurance premium dollars every year.

Good luck with finding that diamond that is just right for you.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We will have to have a "cleavage" competition at the First Pricescope Conference.

Naturally I am the judge.

(But i warn you, there is an insider with more than an outsiders chance to win!!!)

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooh, just imagine, a D/IF with good cleavage.
31.gif
A natural winner to me.
9.gif

Laney, I'm anxious to hear the report after you speak to Allstate. I have Statefarm for homeowners and don't remember what they offered (it was junk
14.gif
) so I remember thinking I'd go with JM or chubb, and ended doing neither despite getting my appraisal done, redone, JM application filled out and everything. Just never ended up doing it and I'm kicking myself now. I think I gotta change that after seeing what can happen.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laney I wish you all the best with getting a new diamond. Very sorry to hear that this had happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results