shape
carat
color
clarity

Rise in Anti-Semitism on 'Net Linked to Trump

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There has been a recent surge in anti-Semitic posts on the Internet and many have been determined to come from Trump supporters.

Excerpted from "The New York Times":

"A man held a Pepe the Frog picture during a rally for Donald Trump in Bedford, N.H., on Sept. 29. The Anti-Defamation League includes Pepe the Frog in its database of hate symbols, linked with white supremacy.

She had seen her face superimposed on the body of a concentration camp inmate. She had been called 'a slimy Jewess.' She had been told she 'deserved the oven.' One anonymous individual had electronically harassed her for 19 hours straight.

Things got so bad that Bethany Mandel, a 30-year-old freelance writer in Highland Park, N.J., decided one afternoon last spring to drive to a nearby gun shop. A mother of two small children, she now keeps a .22 in her home.

What had she done to provoke so much vitriol? She posted some messages on Twitter drawing attention to the fact that Donald J. Trump seemed to have a lot of anti-Semitic supporters.

In some respects, Mrs. Mandel’s story has become a familiar one. She is among hundreds of Jewish journalists who have been the target of anti-Semitic attacks on Twitter during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to a new report by the Anti-Defamation League.

Anti-Semitism has been resurgent in Europe for years. But it has taken on a new dimension in the United States with the emergence of the Trump campaign, whose battle against political correctness has provided a kind of on-ramp for bigotry to enter the political mainstream.

During its investigation, the organization found that 2.6 million anti-Semitic messages were posted on Twitter from August 2015 to July 2016. Of those, 19,253 were directed at journalists.

There was a significant uptick starting early this year, when the presidential campaign began to intensify, the organization said in its report, to be released on Wednesday. More than 800 journalists have been the subject of anti-Semitic attacks on Twitter, with 10 of them receiving 83 percent of the total attacks.

The words appearing most frequently in the Twitter biographies of the attackers were 'Trump,' 'nationalist,' 'conservative' and 'white.'"

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/us/politics/anti-semitism-trump-supporters-twitter.html?hpw&rref=politics&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

AGBF

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Didn't Ivanka convert to Judaism and that is how her baby is being raised?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1476904812|4088672 said:
I'm convinced he's pretty much one of the worst people to ever inhabit this planet.

International banks! Vomit. :sick:

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/14/slings-and-arrows-donald-trumps-vintage-anti-semitism-victimhood-and-outrageous-fortune/

That was a really great article, Monnie. You and Matata manage to find the best articles! Thank you for sharing! I loved the way it started by saying that Father Coughlin was speaking in Florida the other day! Indeed, it sounded as if he were! (Not that I ever heard his radio show, but my Great-Uncle Mike, who was a wonderful man and a gentle soul, but an anti-Semite by ethnic background used to (I have been told) listen to his radio program before World War II. Then some wonderful Jews married into our family and Father Coughlin went out with the rest of the trash! Now we are diverse like the US: white, black, Hispanic, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, and Muslim.

Deb :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1476910690|4088725 said:
monarch64|1476904812|4088672 said:
I'm convinced he's pretty much one of the worst people to ever inhabit this planet.

International banks! Vomit. :sick:

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/14/slings-and-arrows-donald-trumps-vintage-anti-semitism-victimhood-and-outrageous-fortune/

That was a really great article, Monnie. You and Matata manage to find the best articles! Thank you for sharing! I loved the way it started by saying that Father Coughlin was speaking in Florida the other day! Indeed, it sounded as if he were! (Not that I ever heard his radio show, but my Great-Uncle Mike, who was a wonderful man and a gentle soul, but an anti-Semite by ethnic background used to (I have been told) listen to his radio program before World War II. Then some wonderful Jews married into our family and Father Coughlin went out with the rest of the trash! Now we are diverse like the US: white, black, Hispanic, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, and Muslim.

Deb :wavey:

I second the thumbs up for the link. Excellent piece.

I've been avoiding Salon of late because I so dislike their headlines, but they do often have some pretty good writing there if you can get past the often unrelated and hyperbole-laced headlines.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1476908877|4088705 said:
As far as I know, that's true. But that doesn't mean that Mr Trump isn't an anti-Semite. I'm Catholic and my IL's are evangelical/fundamentalist Protestant. They believe that Catholics are idol worshipers, pagan, and not Christian. My husband converted to Catholicism and we are raising our kids Catholic. They still hate Catholics. My MIL has tried to hide it as much as possible from her family. In addition, one of my husband's grandfather's is a German Jew. They fled the Nazi's in the late 30's and have hid their religion and heritage as much as possible. The only reason I know is because his anti-Semite grandmother got mad at his grandfather one day and started throwing that around as an insult.

TL;DR, having a family member marry someone of a different race or religion doesn't mean they are automatically exempted from any racism or anti-Semitism.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
BeekeeperBetty|1476931466|4088823 said:
ruby59|1476908877|4088705 said:
As far as I know, that's true. But that doesn't mean that Mr Trump isn't an anti-Semite. I'm Catholic and my IL's are evangelical/fundamentalist Protestant. They believe that Catholics are idol worshipers, pagan, and not Christian. My husband converted to Catholicism and we are raising our kids Catholic. They still hate Catholics. My MIL has tried to hide it as much as possible from her family. In addition, one of my husband's grandfather's is a German Jew. They fled the Nazi's in the late 30's and have hid their religion and heritage as much as possible. The only reason I know is because his anti-Semite grandmother got mad at his grandfather one day and started throwing that around as an insult.

TL;DR, having a family member marry someone of a different race or religion doesn't mean they are automatically exempted from any racism or anti-Semitism.

I guess I am just lucky. I am Jewish my husband is Catholic. And both families embraced our union and it never became an issue in our 35 years of marriage.

Our 3 children were exposed to Temple and Church and it was up to them to choose.

One is Catholic, one Jewish, and one is half and half (she wears a Star of David and a Cross).

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My best friend growing up was in a similar situation, Jewish father and Baptist mother. Her parents ended up in a nasty divorce, but one thing I always thought they did well was honoring each other's religions.

My husband happens to come from a very strict fundamental background on both sides of his family. They believe in faith healing and speaking in tongues and so on. I don't think this is typical for Protestants at all, they're just really extreme. I really wish we knew more about his grandfather's Jewish background because I think it is important family history for the kids to know. All I know is that they fled Germany just before the war. They were so terrified that anyone would know that they were Jewish that once they got to America they pretended they were Christian. I would be interested to know about what happened to their extended family, but the name is very common, and I don't even know what part of Germany they are from. It's like a dirty family secret for them. I personally find that incredibly odd, but they're all kind of weird.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They were so terrified that anyone would know that they were Jewish that once they got to America they pretended they were Christian.

Yes, they were probably afraid that if anyone in America knew they were Jewish they would be persecuted like they were in Germany.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results