shape
carat
color
clarity

4.58ct Brown emerald cut setting - opinions needed please!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 4.58ct Brown emerald cut setting - opinions needed pleas

I can't wait to see it when it's done! Hurry! Lol

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy! Yes you are absolutely right that side stones could vary a lot so that would explain the range, but all in I'm looking at around 6,500 - 7,500, which is higher than I expected but maybe that's what it should cost?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

What is the estimate of the CTW of the sidestones?

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

Around 1 carat. But again that's just an indication at this point because he can't confirm the exact size until he sees the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. Step cut traps are expensive. And the setting is about 1800 by itself.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

Interesting - his quote for setting (including labour and metal) alone was much higher than that (around double)! I'm not sure how I should approach it in this case, I guess it won't work to just say "your quote on the setting seems very high please reconsider"..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

My pricing could be completely off, I probably shouldn't have said anything. You have a much larger stone than most. My mental 'price range' guide is normally in the one carat range. Designers (all of them) charge more for larger stones and yours are REALLY large.

If you are that worried, get a quote from Victor. And compare them. With VERY few exceptions I always get 3 quotes for any project I do.

You can also ask Grace and/or Erika Winters if they think the pricing is reasonable.

Those would be better guides than I am. I am REALLY not up on large stone setting pricing.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

Sounds reasonable to me. Gypsy's quote of 1800 is off. My yellow EC 3 stone setting was 2500 from Leon about 3 years ago. So 3600 today is probably reasonable.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Matched half carat traps in a decent clarity/color combination is not an easy call. I can easily see it costing $3000 or more, just for the stones. *IF* they can get them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank goodness for you all posting. I am so sorry I even took a stab at guessing what the setting cost. I really shouldn't have.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

Thank you Gypsy, Neil and Acebruin for your kind inputs on pricing - sorry Gypsy for putting you on the spot and of course understand where you are coming from so please don't worry at all! You are being super helpful and I appreciate your advice. Thanks also for the suggestion to get another quote - in fact while I was at it I found this setting:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-vine-trilogy

And thought it was more unique and pleasing to my eyes. What do you guys think? Since the stone is more antiquey in cut I thought it would pair well with the tri-wire. Any concerns? I would of course still use traps rather than the cushion sides in this ring.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

I love the one that diamond seeker posted. It is beautiful and it makes the diamond the main attraction. Very elegant and and it draws your eye right to the main attraction.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

CalmerPalmer|1468711735|4056190 said:
Thank you Gypsy, Neil and Acebruin for your kind inputs on pricing - sorry Gypsy for putting you on the spot and of course understand where you are coming from so please don't worry at all! You are being super helpful and I appreciate your advice. Thanks also for the suggestion to get another quote - in fact while I was at it I found this setting:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-vine-trilogy

And thought it was more unique and pleasing to my eyes. What do you guys think? Since the stone is more antiquey in cut I thought it would pair well with the tri-wire. Any concerns? I would of course still use traps rather than the cushion sides in this ring.
That is my favorite 3 stone setting of all time.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

An update!

I've decided to ask Victor to do the Vine Trilogy setting and he has received the stone from Neil following the GIA grading. A special shout out to Neil for being super professional, responsive and helpful! Since I haven't actually seen the stone myself throughout this entire process, I'm relieved to be able to rely on his expert opinions and suggestions.

The GIA report came back Fancy Brown, without modifiers.

For the side stones, Victor sent me a candidate pair - I've put it against two other options. Since my finger size is 4.75 (really it's in the low 4s because I have a big knuckle lol), I'd like to keep the overall width of the stones in check, and the center diamond alone is around 8.8mm.

A side note on the width of the band - the thinnest possible width based on the tri-wire of the Vine is 2.6mm, which is what I'm leaning towards. I think this would impact the minimum outer length of the traps right?

Please let me know what you guys think?

Thank you!!

vc_brown.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like #2 I can't wait till this one is done.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

2!
I forgot to mentioni love a triwire shank but not with what you're doing. Everything is so angular, I feel a plain band more appropriate for the styling.

However, whatever you do it'll be stunning.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like #2. Can't wait to see this!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great update!! So excited for you that you will work with Victor. The Vine trilogy is the best trilogy design ever.
For your small hand I love number 3. Directly followed by number 2. I just cannot envision number 1 for this particular design. What does Victor recommend?

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

I like #3 the best. I also like #2, but not as much. I don't find #1 aesthetically pleasing.

It's going to be beautiful, great setting choice!

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

Hi! :wavey:

I received some pictures from Victor of the finished ring, so just a quick post to update you. Will have a short video as well - and of course can't wait to get it on my hand!

I'll do a proper review once I receive the ring. Thank you all so much for your input and help!

_5416.jpeg

_5417.jpeg

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock

One more

_5418.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely! Bet you cant wait to get it!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your new ring looks really spectacular--can't wait for you to see it in real life! :appl: BTW, I believe the lovely hand model in the pics is Victor's wife!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh la la :lickout: Looks like it turned out beautifully :love: Can't wait for you to get it :appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my, breathtaking! That's a stunner for sure and it looks huge!! Can't wait to see hand shots once you get it! Please post a zillion :lickout:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm in love with this ring. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a stunning result!!! I like :love: :love: :love:

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

Magnificent!! I can't wait to see more pics.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOVE!!! :love: You must start a thread on Show Me the Bling once you get it and take more pics!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The proportions are absolutely PERFECT. And so, honestly, is the entire ring. Can't wait for you to get it. Thank you so much for undating on RT!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results