carat
color
clarity

Show Us Your Mother's Day Pearls

Genkibird

Rough_Rock
Phanie|1463008581|4030450 said:
Genkibird|1462758011|4029131 said:
Just a notice that if you missed the PP "giants" a strand should be coming available soon. However, be aware I think this was a return already before I bought it this week on a whim while shopping for a last minute gift for the mother in law. I was able to pick the strand the yesterday and although I believe this would have been fun to wear there is a long scratch along the face of one of the pearls near the front. A serpentine pin point like track that is better seen with a loupe. It is really not noticeable from a distance so it may not be an issue for everyone... I buy vintage jewelry usually on a weekly basis so I am usually fairly tolerant of flaws and items that may need minor repairs. For items like this natural flaws are to be expected but I do think this is not one of those. Anyway, from what I have read so far from others there may not be replacements available to switch this out. Today, as usual, the website has an infuriating endless loop when trying to sign in to send a message back about the order to verify this when they reopen. So back it goes. On the bright side the mother in law liked her earrings

Hi,is it the strand that clocks at 12.7-13.7?
Thanks (I have the opportunity to buy one that is available and want to make sure it is good , I think this would bug me).
Steph

Sorry I have not looked at this in a few days. No it was FBDN-16-WP 11.5-14.6 mm. You should be fine.

I have some difficulty showing in pictures how the "flaw" appears especially when using a loupe. Further complicated, I am guessing, by needing to reduce the size of the image for posting. Given that it is on 12th pearl down from the snap/tongue end of the clasp. Anyway in areas it was very regular pinpoints almost like the track made by a sewing machine needle and not seemingly fracture like. Although I could be completely wrong as I definitely am not an expert in this

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got one last minute purchase with the PP discount code, and they unexpectedly arrived today!

You all probably knew that I wasn't going to be able to resist getting earrings to match my new strand, right? (yeah, DH called it too...the day after the strand arrived he said "so are the earrings on their way too?" Busted!)

So, there was only one small complication in getting the earrings...Erin was too good at finding beautiful options to for me! She found me a gorgeous set of drops AND a set of off-rounds that would both work well with my strand.

It was too good to pass up, so I decided to get drop earrings on leverbacks and a pair of studs made.

and here are the ear shots! (please forgive my red ears...they always do that when I first put them in)

pp_loose_pearls__small_.jpg

pair_together_in_box__small_.jpg

ear_shot_close_up_no_strand__small_.jpg

off_round_studs_on_ear__small_.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if anyone is wondering about the difference between freshwater metallics and WSS pearls, I happened to be wearing my metallic freshwater drops today and my metallic white rope (both from PP). You can see how much more *white* the WSS pearls are. Even though the metallic freshwater drops are white with a rose overtone (and on their own look very rosy-white), they do have a creamy quality next to the blinding white of the WSS (I can see what BabyNurse meant by them being really *white*, and how they wouldn't look great on people who need a bit more warmth with their skintone).

The luster is also a smidge more metallic, although it is close. If the Chinese Edison producers are able to get the colours a bit brighter white, it will be really hard to tell the difference between the two.

You can see the difference when I had the strand on my neck while taking an ear shot:

And in the box on the black background:

On white paper it's a bit more pronounced:

And all together on the white paper:

So I have BabyNurse to thank for not keeping my strand, because otherwise I wouldn't be in WSS pearl nirvana right now! I LOVE these!

ear_shot_close_up_with_strand__small_.jpg

freshwater_metallic_vs_wss_drop_earrings_in_box__small_.jpg

earrings_and_strand_on_paper_with_both_sets_of_wss_earrings__small_0.jpg

earring_comparisons_on_white_background__small_.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am also curious to hear about whether anyone else's biggie pearls came in??? Icy??? Anyone? So many went out, and we've only seen a few pictures here! I've been hoping to see more!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
cmd, those are really helpful comparison photos! Your new earrings are awesome . . . sort of making want wss too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1463513145|4032853 said:
Oh, I am also curious to hear about whether anyone else's biggie pearls came in??? Icy??? Anyone? So many went out, and we've only seen a few pictures here! I've been hoping to see more!

Mine are still with pp awaiting the special order clasps... Will post pics when I get mine.
Can those who got theirs post more pics in the meantime? Neckshots etc...

Well done on those earrings cmd. Think it's a good call to get them when there is a code. Btw I have seen fwp as white as ssp so there is still hope for fwp.

White button fwp n poj metallics above my ssp. The buttons are a close match to the ssp but you can see the metallics are noticeably creamier. The photo is creamier than irl. The ssps are not creamy since I can't wear cream tones. Background is the pp cardboard box cover.
image_671.jpg

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
The PP cardboard is a great background reference! I am going to try to sneak some photos of my giant pearls with the local jewelers'
South Sea pearls this week. I am curious, since I was told my strand has a silver body color as opposed to cream.

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pics. Very useful for me trying to understand the white white of ssp vs the more cream of freshwater.
CmD those ssp looks smashing on you.
Icy - the button do look like a good match for ssp necklace.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
kalmen22|1463551317|4033124 said:
Thank you for the pics. Very useful for me trying to understand the white white of ssp vs the more cream of freshwater.

I think the difference between wSS and freshwater is more than just degrees of white.

I only have a few wSS, and in a side-by-side, they always make my freshwaters look like cr*p. :shhh:

The wSS pearls ... glow.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful earrings, CMD! Both sets are gorgeous... I love that super white colour!

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
seaurchin|1462310187|4026734 said:
And here's my new metallic Edison pendant from The Pearl Society (17.8x16.5mm). Sorry for the upside down first pic.

13_5.jpg
14_1.jpg
16_1.jpg
Seaurchin, you are a bad influence, I think I want a pendant, too. I love the color!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1463609983|4033336 said:
kalmen22|1463551317|4033124 said:

I think the difference between wSS and freshwater is more than just degrees of white.

I only have a few wSS, and in a side-by-side, they always make my freshwaters look like cr*p. :shhh:

The wSS pearls ... glow.

Yeah, I agree. It's hard to capture in pictures (you can't see it in mine either but it's obvious IRL) but side by side the freshwaters look almost hollow and delicate looking, and a bit more flat, while my saltwaters (WSS and akoya) look more solid, metallic, and bright with a lit from within glow. It's always been what has made me hesitate in the freshadama vs hanadama discussion as I have a hard time seeing how freshadamas would compare IRL. I wore my metallic strand yesterday after wearing my WSS for a while and I hate to say it but they didn't compare well, colour aside.

ETA: that said, I guess I expect to see a difference given that one is almost 10x the cost of the other. Plus, my metallic freshwater pearls still get admired every time I'm at a jewelers while wearing them, so it's not like they are chopped liver!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results