carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

eos: would you mind sharing the vendor? Its always good to know about how representative a seller's photos are of the stones in real life. :))

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1454441690|3985751 said:
So I bought this, I find his descriptions accurate, and I've been looking for a fairly priced red for some time. The inclusion doesn't bother me, but if I dont like it for a ring it'll go into a necklace.

I'm excited I love the red color, and the price was right

Hello gorgeous, I love the shape and color. That inclusion would not bother me, either. Can't wait to see what you do with this beauty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

apacherose|1454899099|3988206 said:
Niel|1454441690|3985751 said:
So I bought this, I find his descriptions accurate, and I've been looking for a fairly priced red for some time. The inclusion doesn't bother me, but if I dont like it for a ring it'll go into a necklace.

I'm excited I love the red color, and the price was right

Hello gorgeous, I love the shape and color. That inclusion would not bother me, either. Can't wait to see what you do with this beauty!

I return it.... :(

The color didn't do it for me.

eos512

Shiny_Rock

minousbijoux|1454825194|3987942 said:
eos: would you mind sharing the vendor? Its always good to know about how representative a seller's photos are of the stones in real life. :))
it is a local vendor so never mind about the accuracy of the picture

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:
I return it.... :( The color didn't do it for me.

Aw, I'm sorry, Niel. It was worth a chance though! Was it just lighter than expected? What are you looking for? Maybe we can help. :) (Oh, and thanks for pointing out the extra facets on the topaz. Clearly I didn't look closely enough.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1455022621|3988735 said:
Niel said:
I return it.... :( The color didn't do it for me.

Aw, I'm sorry, Niel. It was worth a chance though! Was it just lighter than expected? What are you looking for? Maybe we can help. :) (Oh, and thanks for pointing out the extra facets on the topaz. Clearly I didn't look closely enough.)

I'm never really looking for anything. When a stone catches my eye sometimes I just buy it and see. I'd like a larger collection, mine is iitty bitty ,but I'm not looking for anything, really. Just.... Everything? Lol.

img_20160207_105141.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:
I'm never really looking for anything. When a stone catches my eye sometimes I just buy it and see. I'd like a larger collection, mine is iitty bitty ,but I'm not looking for anything, really. Just.... Everything? Lol.

Ah, okay. I can understand that. haha Mine is pretty small too so I know what you mean. :lol: Everything sounds fantastic! ;-) (That spinel of yours is very pretty, and I'm not a big gray fan.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Neil: I LOVE that grey spinel! The cut, the color.... :love: Where did you get that one?

Also, I know what you mean about sometimes stones catching you eye...this recently happened to me on LT with a blue/green tourmaline. I received it yesterday and am quite happy for the price. The owner said he bought it as "paraiba", but he (and I) doubt it is actually that...but I'm not bothered at all since I want a bright/slightly glowy stone regardless of whether its copper bearing or not :) It's a .67 and I'll probably set it with MDZ in one of their settings

Here are the LT pics from the previous owner:

64tour4.jpg 64tour2.jpg 64tour5.jpg

And here are mine (keep in mind this was this morning without extra light, just inside on a nasty day). I think his pictures were very accurate in terms of color/saturation:

MGdcl.jpg uv3bR.jpg 37o3I.jpg 2vSa0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1455030557|3988775 said:
Neil: I LOVE that grey spinel! The cut, the color.... :love: Where did you get that one?

Also, I know what you mean about sometimes stones catching you eye...this recently happened to me on LT with a blue/green tourmaline. I received it yesterday and am quite happy for the price. The owner said he bought it as "paraiba", but he (and I) doubt it is actually that...but I'm not bothered at all since I want a bright/slightly glowy stone regardless of whether its copper bearing or not :) It's a .67 and I'll probably set it with MDZ in one of their settings

And here are mine (keep in mind this was this morning without extra light, just inside on a nasty day). I think his pictures were very accurate in terms of color/saturation:

Thanks. I got it from prima gems

eos512

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs|1455030557|3988775 said:

Well try viewing the stone in the shades during the sunny day. Maybe it will look close to that in the seller's and vendor's pictures. I do possess one of this kind of tourmaline showing a color difference in different light sources( maybe not this large difference in saturation but color shifts in the same direction). Blue/green tourmalines tend to shift a lot under different light sources, especially for those originated from Africa and Brazil. Afghani blue/green tourmalines tend to shift far less. I would guess that this tourmaline comes from Namibia

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

I am getting excited about a pendant I am making for my daughters 16th birthday at the end of the month. I bought a tourmaline heart, the one from the someone's gotta buy this thread from the Kosnars, that she took a fancy to and would not allow me to return- it was a little dark for my taste but she loved the dark fiery flashes. So I kept it and am making a necklace I think she will love. It is to be in rose gold,based on the pendant I have pictured, but with the heart in the middle. I think she is going to love it! My mother is part of the gift, she always says MG is her heart, and her dad, my husband, is an avaitor and this motif is a lot like his wings- also he is in the service so the diamond cut ball chain is a lot like his dog tags, so anyway there is a lot of meaning and symbolism in this from a lot of people who love her in her life.

_36444.jpg

_36445.jpg

_36446.jpg

_36447.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

apacherose I really like your pendant plans! I agree the Rose gold looks great with the stone and really complements the warm flashes. I like all the meaningful details from the flight motif to the ball chain. I'm excited to see how it progresses.

S

SparkliesLuver

I look forward to seeing your pendant come to life, apacherose. I absolutely love pieces with sentimental meaning - they're the best. I'm sure she's going to love it. :D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful and meaningful heart apacherose! Looking forward to see the end result.
Your daughter will be thrilled :appl:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, Sungura, Sparklies, and Acinom!

I just had to return the chain I ordered. I can't find diamond cut ball chains in 1.5mm rose gold. If anyone has a source, let me know- I'm going to have to go with plain ball, which I do not like as much, but I know she does not want a super delicate chain, which is all I can find in the faceted bead in rose gold.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

apacherose you may want to try calling Myron Tobak or Ross Metals. They are both located on 47th street in NY. They are both jewelry supply houses and carry many many types of chain. They sell to consumers. Their online catalogs are not easy to use. I would just call. Being in NY, if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I visited them with my jewelry school when we took a tour of the diamond district

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Just saw this- thanks, Sungura, I'll let you know how it goes!!!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

I just ordered it from Ross metals! I could find it nowhere else. Thank you, Sungura!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

apacherose|1456239901|3994404 said:
I just ordered it from Ross metals! I could find it nowhere else. Thank you, Sungura!

Great news ApacheRose! So happy to help

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Got some stones at a small local gem show over the weekend...came up with this color combo...what do you think?

Top: some small paraibas I already had
Middle: new Mogok red spinel
Bottom: new Spessartite

Looks very Mayan to me! Colors are a bit better IRL, plastic lid is on in this pic. Orange is a bit softer.

img_10870.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Desertrose|1456274532|3994672 said:
Got some stones at a small local gem show over the weekend...came up with this color combo...what do you think?

Top: some small paraibas I already had
Middle: new Mogok red spinel
Bottom: new Spessartite

Looks very Mayan to me! Colors are a bit better IRL, plastic lid is on in this pic. Orange is a bit softer.

Ohh they look edible! Do you have any plans for them?

S

SparkliesLuver

How fun, Desertrose! :) All the combinations. :naughty: ;-) They almost look like a pair of earrings displayed like that.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Niel - I've been looking at that same red stone - can you tell me if the brighter red photo was accurate?
Or is the duller, less saturated red photo on his website more the appearance IRL?
Or what else wasn't good about the color?
You might save me the return fees!

Ricezo, Sparkliesluver -
Yes, earrings exactly! I'm thinking the paraiba would be set on posts, with the spinel and spess dangling below.

I bought 7 more of the red spinel. These two were the top color, the others are also nice but not quite as 'cherry'. I will be seeing the same spess dealer in a couple weeks at another show, so I was thinking of buying more of the spess. Then I have some paraiba melee from Yvonne...so I was thinking maybe a suite?

Earrings: As laid out here in first box. Next to that are some other cuprian tourmalines, and more of the red spinel-

Necklace: I can't find a picture, maybe someone can help me...I'm imagining a gold bar necklace, with some of the stones set in the bar and some dangling below. Nothing too big, something that could be worn for everyday wear... here's photos that shows a bar set with stones. It's a little long E-W for what I am picturing, but you get the idea. Then add danglies off it...maybe the red spinel and paraiba melee in the necklace, with the spess dangling below? Or paraiba and spess set, and spinel dangling?

Ring(s): I'm working on a design for the larger cuprian tourmaline (second box from left) with Yvonne. Not sure if I'd have red spinel left from this batch for a ring (Neil, maybe the one you returned would work?) I'll probably get extra spess that I can use in the future...most of his were ovals or rounds all about 7x5mm or thereabouts.

I'm seeing it all in a rich yellow gold, somewhat tribal or chunky or raw...all suggestions are welcome!

87406_1.jpg

img_10874.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Desertrose|1456323502|3994885 said:
Niel - I've been looking at that same red stone - can you tell me if the brighter red photo was accurate?
Or is the duller, less saturated red photo on his website more the appearance IRL?
Or what else wasn't good about the color?
You might save me the return fees!

Ricezo, Sparkliesluver -
Yes, earrings exactly! I'm thinking the paraiba would be set on posts, with the spinel and spess dangling below.

I bought 7 more of the red spinel. These two were the top color, the others are also nice but not quite as 'cherry'. I will be seeing the same spess dealer in a couple weeks at another show, so I was thinking of buying more of the spess. Then I have some paraiba melee from Yvonne...so I was thinking maybe a suite?

Earrings: As laid out here in first box. Next to that are some other cuprian tourmalines, and more of the red spinel-

Necklace: I can't find a picture, maybe someone can help me...I'm imagining a gold bar necklace, with some of the stones set in the bar and some dangling below. Nothing too big, something that could be worn for everyday wear... here's photos that shows a bar set with stones. It's a little long E-W for what I am picturing, but you get the idea. Then add danglies off it...maybe the red spinel and paraiba melee in the necklace, with the spess dangling below? Or paraiba and spess set, and spinel dangling?

Ring(s): I'm working on a design for the larger cuprian tourmaline (second box from left) with Yvonne. Not sure if I'd have red spinel left from this batch for a ring (Neil, maybe the one you returned would work?) I'll probably get extra spess that I can use in the future...most of his were ovals or rounds all about 7x5mm or thereabouts.

I'm seeing it all in a rich yellow gold, somewhat tribal or chunky or raw...all suggestions are welcome!

I love what I'm seeing. Gorgeous collection here DeserRose! :love:
I can't wait to see what you do with that cuprian. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

Desertrose, you should definitely start a new thread! You've got lots of super fun and exciting things going on. :D I actually have an idea for your necklace but I gotta find the picture (gah, why don't I always save this stuff when I see it?!)...

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Here's my very quick idea for the necklace, colored with sharpies : )

Maybe the middle spess would dangle a bit lower?

img_10875.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

OK - I'll start a new thread for this set now... :lol:

Elyxia

Rough_Rock

Just received my 1.25ct blueish-lavender Sapphire set with half moon diamonds and bullets created by DK. Very happy with the result :love: I'd also never seen a ring box with a light inside! The Sapphire reminds me of a Vietnamese spinel.

img_20160226_131153_2.jpg

img_20160225_184744_2.jpg

_81.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elyxia, your new ring is gorgeous!

Elyxia

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much Chrono! :D