shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying new wedding set - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmydiamonds

Rough_Rock
I am finally getting the ''ring of my dreams''. (within reason, of course). I really need some advice. Here''s what I know:

* I want at least a carat center stone
* I want something wide (setting)
* I want something unique

(This will be my wedding ring)

I have always gone for yellow gold in the past, but I am seeing so much white gold, I am open to that too.

I love a marquise cut, but I am open to other cuts

I went to an upscale jewelry store the other day, and was a bit shocked at what they told me. For one thing, the rings I looked at had a center stone that was CZ (for display purposes). I was told by 2 different people there that the quality of CZ they get is so good, you cannot tell that it is not real ** IF ** you keep it clean. They said that they are so inexpensive, that if/when the center stone starts to lose it''s clarity and brilliance, you just replace it. THe settings I was looking at were $5000 plus. What do you think of this advice????

If I go with a real diamond, what are the ''Cs'' I am looking for and how much should I pay for the quality (I don''t think I can afford the best, but want it to be as high as I can get).

Any ideas or advice are appreciated before I take the plunge!

Dawn

34.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming upgrade!

Cut is the most important of the C''s because the proportions that the diamond is cut too will control the amount of brilliance, dispersion and scintillation that you get to enjoy from your new puppy. We consider color to be the next most important factor and then clarity which is largely a matter of personal preference. The best way to determine what you prefer personally is to visit a few high end jewelry stores and take a look at a bunch of diamonds of different colors and clarity grades to determine what you like and don''t like. Most people find a good middle ground to be G color, VS-2 clarity... Others will prefer D color, VVS and then a few will prefer something warmer like a J or an L color and don''t mind a visible inclusion or two because it brings personality to the stone... Personal preference.

Most of the jewelry designers send their stuff out with CZ center stones because they can''t imagine that the public can envision what their creation might look like without a center stone. CZ''s have their place in the market, but they tend to dull and scratch in short time if worn on a regular basis and the continual removal and installation can wear your ring quickly and lead to metal stress... The reality is that the salesperson knows that the odds are that you''ll quickly grow tired of the look of the CZ and often just the knowledge that your center stone is a CZ and that you''ll likely be back to replace it with a real diamond soon... So it''s a safe bet that by talking you into the ring with the CZ despite the cost of the designer setting that you''ll be back around to spend more money in their store. May we suggest that you focus on the selection of a quality center stone first and the setting later, even if you put the diamond in a simple solitaire you''d be better off from our perspective.

luvmydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That is the information I am looking for. What cut gives the most brilliance? Is it the round radiant cut? I am leaning towards a real center stone - I guess I was a little surprised at what they told me about the CZs.
I love marquise shaped diamonds, but I want the most sparkle for the money..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results