shape
carat
color
clarity

1.17 Carat Diamond- Where To Sell At A Fair Price?

YourDiamonds

Rough_Rock
I have a loose 1.17 Carat Round Brilliant Diamond recently graded by GIA.

I have read Neil's blog on selling diamonds, but still not sure where to start. The local shop suggested I have it graded by GIA so as not get taken advantage of. The grading shows that it is much higher quality then they were estimating.

1.17c, E, VS1, Good cut, polish is very good, fluorescence none.

How do I find a fair-market price to sell? I don't need to get top dollar, just a fair price. I have tried the diamond calculators online and it ranges from $6,000-$13,000. That is a really large range. Similar stones on Ebay are $6,600-10,000. The first shop offered $4,500 on the spot without it being graded yet. That would have been a steal for them. I don't know a lot, but I am quickly learning about diamonds.

Neil's blog: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/consumer%E2%80%99s_guide_reselling_diamonds

_33933.jpg

screen_shot_2015-09-04_at_8.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples - look at GIA stones w a good cut like this one - not excellent or very good cut. I can tell you the cut quality will lower your potential asking price. And when selling as a private party you can expect to get a percentage of what it would retail for. Just looking at Blue Nile, stones in that general DEF color family, VVS2-VS2 clarity, with a good cut will be about $8,000-10,000 retail. The high color and clarity are great, but it isn't cut very well unfortunately.

ETA: I tried to put the numbers into the HCA, but it won't calculate as it recognizes the girdle is dangerously thin.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One option - use PS's "sell your diamond" option to get offers from PS vendors: https://www.pricescope.com/sell-your-diamond. Bear in mind that you'll be selling to the middleman - that is, you're selling to someone who will be looking to make a profit by re-selling your stone, so you'll likely get less than you would by selling directly to another consumer. But you won't be under any obligation to accept an offer, and if you're lucky you'll get more than one offer to consider. In exchange for a somewhat lower sale price, you'll have an easy, no-risk, one-and-done transaction. And more money in your account once when it's done! :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't get anywhere near retail prices when selling second hand, and good cut limits it even more. I am betting that your offers will run in the range of that first offer.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's perhaps worth noting that asking $13,000 on eBay is not the same as getting it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't expect top dollars for a stone with a chip on the girdle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results