Rough_Rock
Hi all.

Short Version:
Looking for a small ruby/red spinel
Less than half a carat
Preferably bright and precision cut
$500-850

Long Version:
I'm currently looking to design a ring for my handsome fella as a surprise. However I'm running into some difficulty.

His fav gemstone is ruby. I assumed a nice bright ruby would be out of price range for me so I went red spinel. I did a quick look through some of the vendors and contacted a couple of cutters. Nothing is available in stock or stones are all a carat or more. I did a little more browsing and found a small ruby just a hair out of budget at 4.3 mm that actually looks quite nice but it's my only lead so far.

My guy has a more clean and subtle style, so I really don't want anything too large or with multiple stones. There was a red spinel months ago on Africa gems that was perfect in size and budget and I'm kicking myself for waiting on it too long now. :/

So should I budge on size some? What is a good mm range for a more conservative style men's ring? Should I give up on finding such a small spinel? Do I just need to save up more and go for a ruby?

Any suggestions on nice men's ring styles are welcome as well. I haven't settled on a setting yet. I was looking at lighter reds assuming that a bezel setting would be best for that clean look but I'm totally open to suggestions.

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
Oh and if curious, I have no aversion to any shape/style of cut except perhaps marquise, Portuguese and concave. The fella didn't seem to like those all that much when I took him shopping under the guise it was for me.

I'm also open to heat treatment and any secondary except orange/brown.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does "preferably bright and precision cut" mean that cabochons are definitely out of the running; I'm thinking cabochons might open up some additional, budget-friendly possibilities.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Hi SouthernSunset

I suggest you check in with Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs. She recently has listed some pieces with small sized red red spinels. Also I have purchased some small rubies from her as well. The link to her shop on Etsy is in our preferred vendor list.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Precision cut will narrow down your choice. I would go for a well cut and color. Given you are looking for a smaller size, I think you can find great color and good cut in your budget (ruby would be heated).

I was going to suggest Yvonne as well as I know she has had some beautiful small red stones - although not precision cut which is why I hesitated. Personally, I find red stones are amongst the hardest to judge by pictures. But I completely trust her eye and descriptions. Her stones are almost always better than pictures and she doesn't post everything - so I would message her on etsy and let her know what you are looking for.

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
Thanks! The vendor list is so long now I only checked all my regular favorites. I'll be sure to drop her a line.

I thought for sure for once in my gem shopping adventures I'd have size on my side! Haha. I can't really imagine anything larger than 5mm. I was thinking in the 4-5 mm range. But men's rings aren't all that common to get good looks of online and the ones I do find seem to be much too bold for his style so I'm still wavering on what proportions might be best. Cabs are not really his style either.

In terms of precision, I suppose truly it doesn't have to at the highest tier. I know I must be realistic with my budget. I do want it to be bright and the best red I can get though. You know it probably being the only sparkle the man shall ever own, and he loves the bright red so much I want to get the perfect one, or at least as close as possible.

Oh man. Now I have a taste at how men must feel when trying to pick the perfect jewelry in secret lol.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
The lady who runs this shop is, I believe, a PSer....

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGemstoneProject - just type 'red' into the search window!

I think Dana Reynolds probably also has quite a few little reds at http://www.mastercutgems.com/

I know that John Tolliver of Simply Sapphires often has smaller stones that would suit your budget. I don't think John has spinels, but he might have a pinkish or purplish ruby in that range....

Hope it helps!

(For what it's worth, I'm one of the relatively few male posters and I think this is an awesome idea. You rock!)

S

SparkliesLuver

I second cm's suggestion of contacting Elle, the owner of TGP. She's wonderful. I'd be sure to check out her 1.31ct medium dark red spinel (https://www.etsy.com/listing/221007595/131ct-medium-dark-red-precision-cut?ref=shop_home_active_6). Maybe see if she could take a hand shot for you. ETA: Sorry, just realized you said .5ct or smaller. So disregard the link above. :)

Yvonne is also a good person to contact. She doesn't always list everything she has, either.

Good luck in your search! I'll keep an eye out. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most precision lapidaries will not cut such a small size because it takes just as much time to cut a larger stone which will sell for more. I'll keep an eye out though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures show a very strong orange secondary on my monitor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results