shape
carat
color
clarity

"Natural" Childbirth Overrated?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I was talking to DD about childbirth and she was Shocked :???: that I had had no drugs whatsoever when giving birth. According to her, most women today have something to curb the pain.

This kind of ticked me off, because I wanted drugs in a big way, both times. I feel the pain clouded my enjoyment of the actually moment of birth and something to take the edge off would have been good. I don’t know why a woman has to get to the point of primal survival instinct during childbirth; that moment when all you want to do is live, and nothing else matters. Was that really necessary?! ::)

During the time of both children’s births, “natural” childbirth was the in thing. Any kind of pain killer was frowned on. Looking back, I feel the use of the word “natural” was manipulative, because all birth is natural. I haven’t seen an “unnatural” birth yet, except in the Alien movies.

I asked for painkillers at the time, and BOTH my kids had heads in the 98th percentile. The kind of head that the doctor measures several times at every visit. There was quite a lot of stitching going on too. :cry:

I guess I kind of feel taken advantage of. And no, I didn’t “forget” the pain. I felt/feel like "natural" childbirth was overrated. If I had to do it over again, I would ask for an epidural right up front, on prenatal visit number 1.

Anyone else feel like that?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JFC. I feel for women who have 'natural' child births. Like, a round of applause is deserved. IF I ever get pregnant, I am getting an epidural. There will be no hesitation, and if I somehow pass the point of it, I will be really sad lol. I will take whatever sort of term you want to throw at me - unnatural, alien, drugged, whatever. I do not care if people frown upon that whatsoever :lol:

All childbirth is a 'miracle' but, to do it without drugs is mind blowing to me. I know that's how it happened in 'the olden days', but many many women also died during childbirth. So, I will take modern medicines advances with pleasure.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My first childbirth was so traumatic that I did an elective c-section for #2. I had an epi for #1, but it wore off RIGHT when I reached 10cm. No problem, they said, I still have a good two hours of numbness! Super helpful when pushing for 3.5 hours. It took me about 6 months to physically recover from that birth. Thank goodness I had a doctor who agreed to my CS for #2. Turns out it was the right decision anyway- he was 9lbs2oz at 38 weeks. Had I opted for a traditional delivery, he would have been well over 10lbs and I probably would have ended up with a CS anyway.

I've always said there's no extra trophy for any particular type of birth. The best birth is that which yields a healthy baby and mom.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, I had my first son 28 years ago and the other 24 years ago, first boy, no epidural, 21 hours of 'interesting' (to say the least, don't want to scare off prospective mothers as I'd do it again in a heartbeat).. my son was 'sunny side up' breach and he weighed 9lbs3oz and I had to have a 'rushed in' c-sect as he seemed to the lady looking the the monitor to drop a heartbeat. (all I know is I really wanted him out after this 21 hour 'funfest') my son never moved from station +5, don't know if they do that anymore, my cervix swelled up and that was it, out he came.. for second son: my neighbor had her baby 5 weeks before I was due, I went over to give her a present for her baby girl and I walked in and she said "TeKate, I have 3 words for you: epidural, epidural, epidural' as she had her first child 5 years earlier with no epidural.. so I told my OB, I would like an epidural, more to this story but it's long so suffice to say that I went into labor early got to the hospital and the on-call guy says, I will give you an epidural and he never showed, finally got my epidural and my second son was born 9 hours after arriving at the hospital, and he weighed 9lbs 12oz and had a head off the charts (like my first son)... so I would say to any woman who is pregnant talk to others who have had 'natural' childbirth, vs those who had an epidural (my vote)..

also iLander, other women made me feel crappy because i had a C-sect twice, i mean I had postpartum depression because I felt like I wasn't a real "mother" I just wasn't womanly enough... not true but it took years to feel better about my first son vs my second.

as always Peace!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever is best for mum and baby. I had one drug free and one epidural. A 9 lb and 10 lb baby respectively.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander, I totally agree with you.

I had my daughter back in the late 80's. We went to Lamaze classes and I was convinced that if I just breathed correctly during the birth, I wouldn't feel any pain. Boy was I WRONG!!! It hurt a lot!!! I was in shock when I realized how much contractions hurt and that my breathing didn't do squat to help. My OB was old fashioned and didn't believe in giving first time mothers epidurals. If I had known then what I know now, I would have found a different doctor! I was finally given a shot of Demerol, along with a large dose of guilt from my ex and the nurses, which didn't really help the pain at all but it did calm me down. I felt like a failure for many years because I had that medication. (my opinion is completely different now)

I've been with my daughter when both of my grandsons were born and things have completely changed. She was given an epidural both times and had mostly pleasant deliveries. A couple of weeks before her due date with her second, she watched "The Business of Being Born" and had a meltdown. I think the guilt trip associated with not having a completely "natural" birth continues and it makes me sad.

Looking back on the way women were "prepped" for delivery and how our pain was managed, I think it was barbaric compared to today's standards. There was a lot of "prep" involved in having my daughter that she didn't have to go through with my grandsons and I think that's a huge improvement.

I don't think my "natural" birth experience was any more natural than my daughter's. I hope that any woman who's had a C-section wasn't given that load of BS either about how her birth wasn't "natural" or wasn't as "good". I don't understand how a large amount of pain, stretching and tearing in any way makes one birth superior to another just like I don't think it's a failure in any way if the end result was surgical or required medication.

I think women should be informed of their options and not made to feel bad about whatever they and their doctor chooses. I definitely think "natural" childbirth is overrated and unnecessary but if that's what a woman chooses to do, more power to her.

I guess what I'm trying to say that is that I wish we could all have healthy babies with as much or as little medical intervention as we desire and not make each other feel guilty about it.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvshinythings|1441128240|3922181 said:
iLander, I totally agree with you.

I had my daughter back in the late 80's. We went to Lamaze classes and I was convinced that if I just breathed correctly during the birth, I wouldn't feel any pain. Boy was I WRONG!!! It hurt a lot!!! I was in shock when I realized how much contractions hurt and that my breathing didn't do squat to help. My OB was old fashioned and didn't believe in giving first time mothers epidurals. If I had known then what I know now, I would have found a different doctor! I was finally given a shot of Demerol, along with a large dose of guilt from my ex and the nurses, which didn't really help the pain at all but it did calm me down. I felt like a failure for many years because I had that medication. (my opinion is completely different now)

I've been with my daughter when both of my grandsons were born and things have completely changed. She was given an epidural both times and had mostly pleasant deliveries. A couple of weeks before her due date with her second, she watched "The Business of Being Born" and had a meltdown. I think the guilt trip associated with not having a completely "natural" birth continues and it makes me sad.

Looking back on the way women were "prepped" for delivery and how our pain was managed, I think it was barbaric compared to today's standards. There was a lot of "prep" involved in having my daughter that she didn't have to go through with my grandsons and I think that's a huge improvement.

I don't think my "natural" birth experience was any more natural than my daughter's. I hope that any woman who's had a C-section wasn't given that load of BS either about how her birth wasn't "natural" or wasn't as "good". I don't understand how a large amount of pain, stretching and tearing in any way makes one birth superior to another just like I don't think it's a failure in any way if the end result was surgical or required medication.

I think women should be informed of their options and not made to feel bad about whatever they and their doctor chooses. I definitely think "natural" childbirth is overrated and unnecessary but if that's what a woman chooses to do, more power to her.

I guess what I'm trying to say that is that I wish we could all have healthy babies with as much or as little medical intervention as we desire and not make each other feel guilty about it.

Me too!!!! gosh Lamaze was useless.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1441128345|3922183 said:
Me too!!!! gosh Lamaze was useless.

I'm glad it's not just me.

I've often wondered if I would have taken the whole experience better if I didn't start with the expectation that it wouldn't hurt if I breathed "correctly". (whatever "correctly" means when another human being is exiting your body)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander said:
So I was talking to DD about childbirth and she was Shocked :???: that I had had no drugs whatsoever when giving birth. According to her, most women today have something to curb the pain.

This kind of ticked me off, because I wanted drugs in a big way, both times. I feel the pain clouded my enjoyment of the actually moment of birth and something to take the edge off would have been good. I don’t know why a woman has to get to the point of primal survival instinct during childbirth; that moment when all you want to do is live, and nothing else matters. Was that really necessary?! ::)

During the time of both children’s births, “natural” childbirth was the in thing. Any kind of pain killer was frowned on. Looking back, I feel the use of the word “natural” was manipulative, because all birth is natural. I haven’t seen an “unnatural” birth yet, except in the Alien movies.

I asked for painkillers at the time, and BOTH my kids had heads in the 98th percentile. The kind of head that the doctor measures several times at every visit. There was quite a lot of stitching going on too. :cry:

I guess I kind of feel taken advantage of. And no, I didn’t “forget” the pain. I felt/feel like "natural" childbirth was overrated. If I had to do it over again, I would ask for an epidural right up front, on prenatal visit number 1.

ILander, I find your post that everyone needs medication judgmental and presumptive. Every woman should be able to select whatever birth method she desires without others telling her something is over or underrated. You are just like the others who make women feel guilty if they want painkillers but in reverse. If you feel that doctors denied you pain relief, don't go around scaring and bashing others who want other ways to deliver from what you experienced.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Friends of mine definitely felt pressured not to have an epidural, and one was really competitive and proud of having had two natural births.

I've never hear anything so ridiculous as this competition over who can bear the most pain. It makes me wanna get pregnant and then boast that I had a drug-free C-section to raise the stakes! I also feel that what goes on in the delivery room is private.

I think denying women pain relief when they're going through hell to do mankind a favor is the most despicable thing I've ever heard. I am very sorry for those of you who had to endure it when drug-free wasn't your choice. I've long been of the opinion that women who have and raise children should be give a payment of $250k in compensation for all that they go through - the pregnancy, birth, career impact, sleepless nights, etc.

I'm joking, but really, can you imagine how comfortably men would have arranged the world around themselves, if they were the ones who had to endure such huge life-impact in order to reproduce? I feel that it's just expected of women and taken for granted. And heaven help you if you're a woman who doesn't want kids.

My rant for the day :D

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1441129901|3922198 said:
iLander said:

ILander, I find your post that everyone needs medication judgmental and presumptive. Every woman should be able to select whatever birth method she desires without others telling her something is over or underrated. You are just like the others who make women feel guilty if they want painkillers but in reverse. If you feel that doctors denied you pain relief, don't go around scaring and bashing others who want other ways to deliver from what you experienced.

But Ilander wasn't allowed to select the birth method she desired.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
baby monster said:
iLander said:

I'm not sure where you're reading that? Each sentence in the post starts with the "I feel" context, and presents my own views. I ask if anyone else feels that way, even the post heading is a question. I even have a sentence saying that there is no such thing as an unnatural childbirth. This post is mostly about me. . . :bigsmile: If someone feels I am telling them (or anyone else) what to do, then they're mistaken, because that is NOT what this is about.

I agree 100% with your second bolded sentence.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I've felt pressure to have a natural childbirth

With my first, I didn't even think about it,I asked for an epidural. M had a 95% head and was facing up....whatever that's called. Not breach, but facing up instead of down. My labor was 30+ hours and I ended up having to have her vacuumed out. I was induced, and I didn't dialate past 9cm.

I was afraid the epidural made the labor take so long. And it cost me 1k. And the pressure of a "real" birth made me attempt a natural birth with W. I didn't want to get induced but after a week past my due date, and the fact M was 9lb8 oz,they said I was going to get one. The labor was shorter, but he was also facing up. I got to him crowning but he turtled so I ended up needing a c section. Funny enough W was also 9lb8oz

It was not amazing, particularly the 15 minutes waiting to go to the c section.

Anyways I hated my births. I had such a bad experience with M I wasn't even going to have another birth. And people would tell me "its not even that bad" and "I don't see why women complain it was easy". It was so frustrating for me. I dont get why its such a competition between moms as to who had the best " connection "

The thing I find offensive is some people actually say that a c section isn't a childbirth.I've got episodomy scars, c section scars, and a guilt from women that those weren't "real" births and I didn't really try my hardest

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Childbirth is incredibly painful and pretty scary, particularly the first time, IMO.

I had massive complications with my first, leading to multiple surgeries post birth, lifelong uncorrectable problems, and any future children had to be via c-section (my second son was born via C\S - yes, I still chose to have a second one, lol!!)

It terrifies pregnant women when they hear my birth story with my first son. I'm not kidding. I don't tell it anymore bc for one thing it's very long, issue after issue, and plus it upsets people to hear it.

The crazy thing is that I had a 100 % uncomplicated pregnancy; no issues at all, very healthy. Every single thing I ran into happened right before, during, and after delivery. So it's very possible to go along just fine until delivery and then be very shocked with all of the problems you can have.

I waited until I was 6 cm to have any pain relief with my first; then had the epidural. Thank god for it, that's all I can say. I can handle pain pretty well, but the pain of intense, seemingly unending contractions was shocking.

My mom told me to get the epi as soon as they offered it to me; she said "don't be a hero, you will want it!", but I wanted to wait until I "needed" to have it - let's just say that my advice now matches my mother's, lol...

Having a child without pain meds is fine if that's what you want, but as for me, I recommend pain meds :)

ETA - my C/S with my second son was flawless! Seriously a wonderful experience. I do talk about that one bc I feel it's important to let women know that it's nothing to ever be ashamed of!!! (And I do not talk to my kids about the negative aspects of the first birth, as I never want my older son to feel bad about any aspect of his birth, it certainly wasn't his fault).

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: Thanks to all the mommas for sharing your stories! No matter your method of birth.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I had my first child with no epidural and my brain was so hazy from pain that I misunderstood the doctor and pushed when I wasn't supposed to and tore really badly and needed stitches. I was in so much pain that they kept my child in the nursery so I could recover. My second child I had with an epidural and my child was able to stay with me in the recovery area. It was so much nicer to be coherent enough to enjoy my baby. And isn't an epidural the doing what medicine is all about, releiving pain and suffering and increasing quality of life?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Yeah birth is so traumatic and such a different experience for everyone, no woman should be judged or made feel inferior for choosing one thing or the other.

With my first I was induced with lots of pitocin and Demerrol. I was begging for an epidural almost as soon as the pitocin started. The anesthesiologist was otherwise engaged so I ended up getting the epidural when I was about 8cm dialated and I did not like the experience. My recovery was aweful, I had migraines for months after from the epidural catherer and other unspeakable post partum problems.

With my second I was hellbent in doing it differently. I had the hardest time finding a doctor who would go along with my plan to do it drug-free. Eventually I found a wonderful midwife and a course named hypnobabies, and this delivery went awesome! Did it hurt, yes it did! But I never even had an IV, I was home a few hours later, and most importantly, I felt completely ok, like nothing had happenned down there. So for me, it was worth it. I'd do it again that way in a heartbeat.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I haven't given birth, but I have heard a lot of negative comments. Mostly from pregnant women who have yet to give birth judging others for epidurals, c sections, etc. An evil part of me finds it funny when they do finally give birth and it doesn't follow their magical unicorn plans.

The c-section comments bother me the most. My sister recently had an emergency c section and it definitely wasn't easy. The recovery sucked. I helped her take care of the wound and that thing wasn't small. It's a major surgery.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl said:
I haven't given birth, but I have heard a lot of negative comments. Mostly from pregnant women who have yet to give birth judging others for epidurals, c sections, etc. An evil part of me finds it funny when they do finally give birth and it doesn't follow their magical unicorn plans.

The c-section comments bother me the most. My sister recently had an emergency c section and it definitely wasn't easy. The recovery sucked. I helped her take care of the wound and that thing wasn't small. It's a major surgery.

Oh, I have totally thought this before too and it's so mean of me!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :lol:

I had an emergency C section with my first and my recovery was soooo easy. I had barely any pain and was up and around like nothing had happened. I had to beg them to discharge me after one night.

With my second I opted for a VBAC and natural birth. I did hypnobirthing to prepare and hired a doula. Well...I had over 48 hours of labor, over 2 hours of pushing (no I didn't "breathe" the baby down my birth canal like they said I would) and it sucked more than anything I've ever done. It paled in comparison the the half Iron Man triathlon I did. Yes, I just said that. I tore pretty badly and my recovery was HELL.

Having done it on two opposite ends of the spectrum, I can say with much certainty that no one way is better than the other and.....you absolutely cannot count on birth happening the way you want it to.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think every woman's body is different. My co-worker had 45 minutes of super intense fast labor. Natural birth. Fast recovery.

I declined the epidural at first and tried to go natural. My water would not break. They induced me. My body stopped dialating at 7cm after 24 hours. My muscles were completely tightened from the pain. They gave me two options. Either take the epidural to see if my muscles relax and I start dialating again, or emergency C. I chose the former. Tons of tearing, stitches and infections during recovery. (I'm very small.) But with an epidural I didn't feel anything. My body relaxed and I gave birth. The donut and the sitz bath were my best friends for the next month and a half.

I got an epidural early with #2. Fast delivery.

So for me, I chose the drugs. And no, I don't feel bad at all. I'm a champ for getting through it! I deserve all my bling and more!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the statement there is no such thing as unnatural childbirth. Whatever works best for you is the best method for you. I think you are all champions for having gone through it and all that matters is you and your baby got through it safely. :!:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They don't call it labor for nothing!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
ILander, I find your post that everyone needs medication judgmental and presumptive. Every woman should be able to select whatever birth method she desires without others telling her something is over or underrated. You are just like the others who make women feel guilty if they want painkillers but in reverse. If you feel that doctors denied you pain relief, don't go around scaring and bashing others who want other ways to deliver from what you experienced.[/quote]

Baby Monster, iLander didn't say that everyone needs medication. (She said her DD commented that most women have some form of pain relief, which likely represents her anecdotal experience and isn't meant to say that all women should/do have medication).

I think you and iLander are actually saying the same thing - that all women should be able to select whatever works for each of them individually without having to feel guilted, shamed, or made to feel 'less than' for whatever choices they make. :angel:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... :-o

Is "unnatural birth" an option? Incubating it in a nice cozy box with a heat lamp and waiting for it to hatch is sounding better and better the more posts in this thread I read :errrr:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie said:

Is "unnatural birth" an option? Incubating it in a nice cozy box with a heat lamp and waiting for it to hatch is sounding better and better the more posts in this thread I read :errrr:

Lol, my OB and I had this exact conversation!!

Despite all the pain and suffering I went through it was totally worth it. And I did fall in love with both of my children the moment I held them in my arms.

I think the most important thing is to not be afraid. Don't take to heart other women's horror stories of how painful, yucky, long, etc. their labor was - meaning don't let the stories scare you. There are plenty of women who had easy, smooth and low pain births. Just like some women LOVE being pregnant.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JDDN|1441139063|3922281 said:
Yssie said:

Lol, my OB and I had this exact conversation!!

Despite all the pain and suffering I went through it was totally worth it. And I did fall in love with both of my children the moment I held them in my arms.

I think the most important thing is to not be afraid. Don't take to heart other women's horror stories of how painful, yucky, long, etc. their labor was - meaning don't let the stories scare you. There are plenty of women who had easy, smooth and low pain births. Just like some women LOVE being pregnant.

For me having a difficult birth wasn't even the main thing, not even close. I had a complication that happens approx 1-3% of the time with births in industrialized countries. It caused so many health complications that I had to quit my job, have two corrective surgeries which were only partially effective, and I will have lasting problems for the rest of my life. I do not want to be more specific on a public venue as it was intensely private and difficult, and still is.

The thing that bothers me is that so many women don't even know that really serious, lasting complications can happen with pregnancy and childbirth. Tv and movies glamorize it and make it seem so easy. It's actually life threatening and a very serious choice. This is a big part of why I'm so pro choice. No one should be forced to have a child!

I don't want to scare women. Maybe it's truly not helpful for them to know that pretty awful things you've never even heard of or imagined can happen to your body with childbirth. But I guess a part of me still wishes I had known, that someone had told me! I guess that seems silly, I don't know. My kids are very healthy and I'm so thankful that if something "bad" happened, it's better that it was me and not them.

My children were both born in Sept and their bdays are coming up very soon (one is this week), so I guess I'm contemplative more than usual right now. I can't help but sort of relive it all, even though my oldest will be 11. It's been that long and still I deal with the health consequences of his birth on a daily basis. Usually I'm fine about it and used to it, but it can still get upset over it. I don't focus on it, it was just seeing this thread that made me stop and think. Believe me, the focus of the entire month of Sept is their bdays :)

Sorry for any negativity, I'm just relating my personal experience. My children have brought me a lot of happiness, there truly is nothing I can compare it to.

And don't forget - birth #2 was a c section and couldn't have gone smoother! I like to think it was the universe trying to make up for my difficult first birth, lol.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@katharath - I had a friend who had an ectopic pregnancy that almost killed her. She now wants to have another child, but is terrified of what will happen both to her and her potential child. While complications are 'rare', they aren't really. I agree, it's important to be informed - no matter your decision.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a personal decision. Myself personally I am very sensitive to medications, allergic to I think 4 and I had a heightened reaction to two different analgesics (one my blood pressure dropped, another I had tachycardia). So for me I was more afraid of an adverse event with a med I've never tried, than having some (expected) pain. I also didn't want to be out of it or not experience the birth either. At the same time I was open to having pain meds if I needed. It was painful both times, but not to the extent I wanted medication. I think it is true the endorphins or something kick in. I also tried to stay physically active during each pregnancy which helped both during labor and afterwards (though I have to admit my abs have never been quite the same!)
I associate pain with things that are sharp and pricking or pinching, those kind of things bother me much more than this which was more like - discomfort, very uncomfortable but not what would make me want to scream or anything. Or maybe I experience pain differently, I don't know.

I think women beat up on each other too much. The intended outcome is a healthy baby and healthy mom. So we should be accepting and embracing of whatever gets people to that outcome.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1441140833|3922287 said:
@katharath - I had a friend who had an ectopic pregnancy that almost killed her. She now wants to have another child, but is terrified of what will happen both to her and her potential child. While complications are 'rare', they aren't really. I agree, it's important to be informed - no matter your decision.

Thanks for the supportive post, I appreciate it. Completely understand your friend's fears, and I hope everything turns out well for her. All we can really do is make our choices and hope for the best, I guess.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the "forcing medication" part of the discussion. Ms active labor was long enough that she got a fever. They gave me penicillin. They knew I was allergic but "weighed the risk" and gave me it anyways without my knowledge. I had a severe all over body rash that lasted the first week of me home with a newborn. I would be so hot shed cry when I would have trouble breastfeeding.

God they were the worst. Haha. I'd love to do it again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results