shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond for unusual bespoke setting

ourmanflint

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I've been browsing the forum for a few months now, ever since I knew I had to buy a diamond for the girlfriends engagement ring, and have learned so much it is amazing. Now we have settled on a bespoke setting which is unusual to say the least, my GF is not very conventional.
This is the setting, but we are getting white gold not yellow.

dsc_6975ga.jpg

I have been looking at some very nice stones, the max diiamond size setting will take is only 0.6ct so my wallet is relatively happy.

My top three choices are

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-g-color-si2-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-608476

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3502495.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045708.htm

My questions..

1) Is there much point in getting something like an ACA stone from whiteflash if it is to be used in this setting?

2) Would getting a color I or J likely to show as white in this setting?

3) The James Allen stone looks amazing and is $700 less than the others, so in this instance will the ACA diamond look a lot better

Many Thanks

Rod

craiguk

Rough_Rock
The JA is only a 'very good' and is SI2. My money would go on the eye clean WF Expert Selection out of these three. In my view it's all about the cut. The ACA stone isn't eye clean by the looks of it (it would say).

This is a touch more but looks really nice http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3400944.htm
I'd want to know how 'eye lean' it was though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand this setting. Can you even see the diamond? Doe sit matter how well cut it is? Honestly I can't tell even if you can see the whole diamond from the top view.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flint has she tried this setting on??? this looks like in the summertime it could become very ouchy as we all swell in the summer. But, to be honest, I don't know what a bespoke setting is :)

good luck and go for an eyeclean stone, as others said, the first stone is not eyeclean.

I cannot really see the stone in your pix, it looks like the stone is set low sort of bezel like(ish) but can't tell.. your SO may not be concerned with eyeclean, many SOs are though.

best of luck for the future!!

peace.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My take on it is that you DO see the whole diamond looking down from the top. The picture is definitely on an angle.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I love unique but this setting looks like someone stepped on it or crushed it - I hope she has tried it on - it also looks very uncomfortable - to get this look its probably very expensive

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find out if the JA stone is eye-clean and request an idealscope if so. Post when you get it.

ourmanflint

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, all very informative. We went to the jewellers workshop and tried on the ring, it does look really good on I must admit. If i bought a more traditional setting It would look a little out of place with all her other jewellery, it would be a lot cheaper to get a simple halo setting I must admit, this one is in region of $900.
The setting only has about 20% open at bottom to allow diamond to get some backlight, so the diamond in the pic 0.4ct, does sparkle quite a lot in real life.
I will have a good look at all stones suggested and I do see that in such a setting the extra clarity should help stone to pop as much as possible, so good to have that pointed out.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting, but the high flanges on the side are going to limit the diamond's performance by reducing the amount of light getting in to the top of the diamond. I once had some smallish stud earrings (.2 ct each) with bezels that were a bit too tall - though they weren't nearly as tall as these flanges. The AGS0 diamonds looked barely alive in those settings. The diamonds really came to life once I got them re-set in 8-prong martini settings. If you'd like your diamond to perform, consider asking the jeweler to reduce the overall size of those flanges. S/he should be able to do that while still retaining the rustic look.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very cool looking!!! Is it supposed to look like a metal version of a twisted gum wrapper? Are you guys artists?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1440878439|3920899 said:
I think it's very cool looking!!! Is it supposed to look like a metal version of a twisted gum wrapper? Are you guys artists?
That's exactly what it looks like to me, too

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance she'd be willing to look at other unconventional settings before buying that one? Besides being uncomfortable, it really does look like it would block light going into the diamond.

I 'd also go with the WF Expert Selection stone since the ACA does not have the eyeclean emblem on the webpage.

Here are some beautiful modern and unconventional settings.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal

http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/megan-thorne/1/viewall

http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/sholdt/1/viewall

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the previous poster's concerns in terms of light being blocked and the diamond not performing to its potential.

Here are other "rustic" settings from fairly well-regarded vendors on etsy. I am not sure what their policies are about setting customer's diamonds into their settings but it never hurts to ask. Plus these settings appear to let in a bit more light so will "show off" the diamond better (IMHO).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JanishJewels

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NodeformWeddings

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I think others are concerned about the everyday wear of this type of ring. I your girlfriend intends to wear it daily for the rest of her life (or a long time), it doesn't look very practical. I know practical doesn't exude romantic or unique images, but it might be worth considering so you don't buy something that you later find doesn't fit with everyday wear. Your girlfriend sounds unconvential. Are you 100% committed to the setting or are you interested on exploring other options?

http://www.maevona.com/

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say I think I get it. It feels like a play on trash and treasure?
But sadly I fall in the camp of feeling this is very impractical. If she tried on all sorts of rings and this was the one then so be it, this was the one. But if she was trying on a lot of traditional rings and then saw this, I can absolutely see why shed be drawn to it.

I would just suggest take a look at these other vendors and their work, if she does her homework and this is still her, then there you go. But there are lots of unique vendors who work with gold and diamonds,and not just round ones, that are very unique, organic, "artsy" and whatnot, that are more practical.

I'm sorry this is probably not what you want to hear.

Rebecca overman is my contribution. But again, if she's already seen all these and says "yep that ones me" the. Well zip it and help find a good center stone.

rebeccaovermannjewelry_981143128256941644_9606154.png

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring actually and literally textured on the inside of the shank? If so, has she tried it on in real life and worn it around a bit?

It looks so uncomfortable to wear. It's a cool looking ring no doubt, but.....I can't imagine it being comfy to wear as an e-ring.

Most of the light that affects sparkle will enter the diamond from the top. So if the sides around the diamond are tallish, then it may make the stone appear not as bright as it would if they weren't so tall.

I LOVE Rebecca Overman's jewelry. Unconventional but really gorgeous. We don't mean to be nay-sayers so please don't feel we are being negative. We really just want for you and your GF to get a ring that she will love forever and ever. :)) And if the ring you posted is it, then yippee!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He says he went to the workshop and tried on the ring - I think the ship has sailed. Hopefully it is comfortable for the wearer. I still think it's cool looking!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love that setting. However in white gold, you lose some of the visual interest of the texture, IMHO. Given that you want white gold, you will want a stunning diamond that can hold its own against such a statement setting. I would go as high color as possible and as well cut as possible. You might save money in size but don't cheap out on cut and color. Personally I would keep the yellow gold and not go below an F. However, I am a color whore so... ;-) Good luck!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nvmd

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1440958163|3921207 said:

Ourmanflint -

Before Niel deleted her post, I was just going to come and say that I disagree utterly!

I LOVE this setting! I think it's organic and classy and truly artistic. Sometimes I think if I see one more halo, one more three stone, or one more solitaire - that I'll go out of my mind! THIS, on the other hand, is truly eye catching! I LOVE it!

I agree that - in white gold - the whitest, most well cut stone possible is your best way forward - you'll need it to set up the best contrast between the metal of the setting and the stone. Metal and stone will play off each other to emphasize the other.

Just stunning - this will be eye-catchingly beautiful!

And for those who don't know - 'bespoke' means fully custom made for the client.

ETA - and I wanted to add - I'm quite sure this won't look like a twisted candy wrapper, or some sort of 'trash-to-treasure' sort of idea. The shank is clearly meant to look like the steam of a flower, or the twig of a branch, and the setting for the diamond is floral in nature. Gorgeous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1440959538|3921221 said:

Ourmanflint -

Before Niel deleted her post, I was just going to come and say that I disagree utterly!

I LOVE this setting! I think it's organic and classy and truly artistic. Sometimes I think if I see one more halo, one more three stone, or one more solitaire - that I'll go out of my mind! THIS, on the other hand, is truly eye catching! I LOVE it!

I agree that - in white gold - the whitest, most well cut stone possible is your best way forward - you'll need it to set up the best contrast between the metal of the setting and the stone. Metal and stone will play off each other to emphasize the other.

And for those who don't know - 'bespoke' means fully custom made for the client.

ETA - and I wanted to add - I'm quite sure this won't look like a twisted candy wrapper, or some sort of 'trash-to-treasure' sort of idea. The shank is clearly meant to look like the steam of a flower, or the twig of a branch, and the setting for the diamond is floral in nature. Gorgeous!

I could disagree more. Wood doesn't look twisted, dented or folded.

But what you or I think don't matter,so i won't post negative things about it.

But I do assume it's meant to look like mangled metal,as I've seen lots of "branch" settings and they don't have this texture. :wavey:

But that's art right, we allsee something different

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1440874014|3920854 said:
I like the setting, but the high flanges on the side are going to limit the diamond's performance by reducing the amount of light getting in to the top of the diamond. I once had some smallish stud earrings (.2 ct each) with bezels that were a bit too tall - though they weren't nearly as tall as these flanges. The AGS0 diamonds looked barely alive in those settings. The diamonds really came to life once I got them re-set in 8-prong martini settings. If you'd like your diamond to perform, consider asking the jeweler to reduce the overall size of those flanges. S/he should be able to do that while still retaining the rustic look.

Hi ourmanflit,
I am glad you and your GF are working together to find her a stetting for your engagement she will love wearing. I am "" VRBeauty bz I too think the suggestion to reduce the overall size of the flanges will help the stone you choose pop as much a possible.

Come back and let us know what stone you end up choosing!
:)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP- Do you mind me asking who the jeweler is? It's a really cool ring and I'm totally curious if he/she has a webpage that I can view more of his/her designs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1440960045|3921229 said:

Ourmanflint -

But I do assume it's meant to look like mangled metal,as I've seen lots of "branch" settings and they don't have this texture. :wavey:

I'm not sure if you mean you agree or disagree - but I'm assuming you mean you disagree. As you say, we all see something different depending on our experience. Here's some photos, tho, of twisted wood. The more artistic and organic designs are not common, and often not appreciated more widely. For an artistic girl, however, this ring will be perfect.

I do agree with you, tho - posting negative things about someone else's choice would be unwise and unnecessary.

bryce_twisted_wood_1.jpg

twisted_juniper_1.jpg

twisted_willow_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1440964232|3921271 said:
Niel|1440960045|3921229 said:

Ourmanflint -

I'm not sure if you mean you agree or disagree - but I'm assuming you mean you disagree. As you say, we all see something different depending on our experience. Here's some photos, tho, of twisted wood. The more artistic and organic designs are not common, and often not appreciated more widely. For an artistic girl, however, this ring will be perfect.

I do agree with you, tho - posting negative things about someone else's choice would be unwise and unnecessary.

Those are a collective of branches that twist around each other. Not twist into itself. I assume based on the name "crush" and the other rings on their site its meant to look light rough metal,rather than wood. But like I said, arts not meant to to be seen the same way by all, so agree to disagree :wavey:

And I guess maybe the distinction many are finding is not that this is artistic, as many here can appreciate artistic and unique pieces, I think it's more so the design for this particular ring, and the practicality.

Nobody wants him to buy her anything other than exactly what she wants, I think just thay, becuase this is a website people come for help and opinions, many are at least going to voice their concerns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results