carat
color
clarity

Price okay for this 1.2 ct G SI1?

gooner2389

Rough_Rock
1.2 ct. round G SI1
GIA Report # - 16251232

Asking $9,550 which includes platinum solitaire 4 prong setting.

My concerns relate to the fact that the GIA certificate is dated 2007 and that the stone is already set. I asked the jeweler to explain why and quite honestly, I lost focus in about 30 seconds.

Stone looks eye clean and seems like it has good light performance (I've visited the store several times now). Scores a 0.7 on the HCA tool so cut seems to be good.

Does the price seem reasonable? Would you be concerned about the old GIA cert date and the fact the stone is already set? I don't think there is a chance of sending it back in to get a newer certificate (both because I doubt the jeweler will do this and also my timeline just won't work). Worried I'm getting a 'used' ring that could have very easily been damaged since initial report.

Appreciate any help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a fair price IMO. I would not buy this stone without a return policy (no questions asked). I would want to take it to
a qualified appraiser and have the girdle checked. The other option is to ask that the stone be re-certified by GIA or AGS.
This will take time (and money) but will give you the confidence you need.

Here are 2 stones that you can compare it to (cost/specs). These are AGS000 stones with light performance graded as Ideal.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=1.21&CaratTo=15&Color=G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF&Cut=Ideal,Excellent,TrueHearts&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&advancedParameter=Lab&showAdvanced=show&DiamondID=588468,476037&Polish=&Symmetry=&Lab=AGS&Flour=&DepthFrom=45&DepthTo=80&TableFrom=50&TableTo=83

gooner2389

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gooner2389|1438262621|3908987 said:
1.2 ct. round G SI1
GIA Report # - 16251232

Asking $9,550 which includes platinum solitaire 4 prong setting.

My concerns relate to the fact that the GIA certificate is dated 2007 and that the stone is already set. I asked the jeweler to explain why and quite honestly, I lost focus in about 30 seconds.

Stone looks eye clean and seems like it has good light performance (I've visited the store several times now). Scores a 0.7 on the HCA tool so cut seems to be good.

Does the price seem reasonable? Would you be concerned about the old GIA cert date and the fact the stone is already set? I don't think there is a chance of sending it back in to get a newer certificate (both because I doubt the jeweler will do this and also my timeline just won't work). Worried I'm getting a 'used' ring that could have very easily been damaged since initial report.

Appreciate any help!
Gooner,
As you suggest, the cert date implies that this is a pre-owned stone. Nothing at all wrong with that if there is no emotional reason that it would not feel right to you. In actual fact, there is almost no way to be certain that any diamond has not been in circulation before. But as tyty recommended above, asking the jeweler to provide an updated cert (or making final sale contingent upon your getting the updated cert) is a very legitimate request, even if you have to pay for it. While diamonds are impressively durable and there may not be the slightest scratch or chip on this diamond in the 8 years since it was in the lab, there is a possibility of that. And a mounting can hide such things. Knowing the present condition of the stone is important to your decision if this diamond is right for you. And that document is important if you ever wish to sell or trade the diamond.

REgarding the cut quality, bear in mind that a GIA Very Good is many steps below the AGS0 stones that you have been pointed to as comparables.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results