shape
carat
color
clarity

Fear of jewelry?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I've never heard of it before, but I'm SURE Mr. St. Clare would hope I develop it once he learns of it! :lol:

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I am now afraid of developing a fear of jewelry. :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite sure I will never develop this fear. I'm more of a jewelry hoarder than wearer though. My family knows that if I really love something, I will rarely wear it. I have an irrational fear of damaging or wearing out jewelry.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1436217377|3899612 said:
Honestly, I've never heard of it before, but I'm SURE Mr. St. Clare would hope I develop it once he learns of it! :lol:

I thought the same! What a convenient excuse... :lol:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rena7|1436219547|3899628 said:
I am now afraid of developing a fear of jewelry. :lol:

I can't imagine any PSer developing this. :lol:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lyra, I am the same way. All of my most prized pieces hardly see the light of day. :roll:

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
i would definitely wear my jewels as much as i can so i get teh value back lol

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand. :shock:
I don't need to be decked out like the Queen of England at the opening of Parliament, but . . .
I need me some bling.
How the heck can you be afraid of inanimate objects?
OMG! That bracelet moved on my arm! AAARRRGGGHHH! :-o :bigsmile:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pricescopenewbie|1436226826|3899685 said:
i would definitely wear my jewels as much as i can so i get teh value back lol

Very good point! :$$):

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1436290552|3899935 said:
I don't understand. :shock:
I don't need to be decked out like the Queen of England at the opening of Parliament, but . . .
I need me some bling.
How the heck can you be afraid of inanimate objects?
OMG! That bracelet moved on my arm! AAARRRGGGHHH! :-o :bigsmile:

See, I DO need to be decked out like the Queen. I guess I would be a kosmemophobic's worst nightmare. :devil:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think my husband may have this.

It would explain his reaction whenever I show him jewelry that I want!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has a greater fear of the bill than the jewellery itself. I am sure this is the case with many husbands and partners.... :lol:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1436323782|3900192 said:
I think my husband may have this.

It would explain his reaction whenever I show him jewelry that I want!

That must be it! :lol: :wink2:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1436329479|3900222 said:
My husband has a greater fear of the bill than the jewellery itself. I am sure this is the case with many husbands and partners.... :lol:

I have a solution to that. Just leave a zero off the end.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
ihy138|1436396759|3900632 said:
arkieb1|1436329479|3900222 said:

I have a solution to that. Just leave a zero off the end.

That's a good plan. I think he might catch on though. Hopefully not until after the return period is over. :naughty:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I am interested in the phenomenon, about which I had never heard. I want to see if there is any more to read about it. The way that the people who seemingly have this disgust for jewelry describe it makes a kind of psychological sense to me. I wonder if i am on the right track in understanding it. The idea that earrings (on the far extremities) would not be terribly annoying to someone seeing the jewelry, but that bracelets and anklets (moving in closer) would be nauseating, and that a necklace (think decapitation or strangulation) would be the worst.... Well it just makes sense as one thinks of where the jewelry is placed on the body.

Thank you for the information, ihy!

Deb :read:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok... I will admit I have a slight bit of this. It's not the reason I don't wear my stuff but it is part of why I am weird about my stuff. I am allergic to most metals and seeing other people wearing those metals gives me that reaction.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1436610939|3901591 said:
Actually, I am interested in the phenomenon, about which I had never heard. I want to see if there is any more to read about it. The way that the people who seemingly have this disgust for jewelry describe it makes a kind of psychological sense to me. I wonder if i am on the right track in understanding it. The idea that earrings (on the far extremities) would not be terribly annoying to someone seeing the jewelry, but that bracelets and anklets (moving in closer) would be nauseating, and that a necklace (think decapitation or strangulation) would be the worst.... Well it just makes sense as one thinks of where the jewelry is placed on the body.

Thank you for the information, ihy!

Deb :read:

REALLY interesting points. I think it must conjure up some primitive fears about death, etc. All phobias do, yeah? Although, it seems like it's more of a disgust than an anxiety-provoking fear? I'd love to speak with somebody who suffers from this. Thank you for the food for thought and extra reading material.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1436622211|3901616 said:
Ok... I will admit I have a slight bit of this. It's not the reason I don't wear my stuff but it is part of why I am weird about my stuff. I am allergic to most metals and seeing other people wearing those metals gives me that reaction.

Wow, that is so fascinating! Is this fear/disgust/feeling mostly due to seeing others wearing certain jewels? Or do you get it from wearing certain jewels yourself?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
A bit of both. I can get claustrophobic with necklaces on for sure. I love the look of a dainty one, but, for example, if its hot out, I can't handle it. Even seeing someone with one on when it's hot out makes me panic. Same with hair being down when it's hot out--if it's hot out, my hair CAN NOT touch my neck or face, or I am an absolute trainwreck of a human. If I see someone else with their hair down, I am just as bad as if my own was touching me. I start feeling like I am trapped. The same goes for costume jewelry, if I know it's not a pure metal, like platinum or even gold, all that I can think about is that it's impure and that the blistering is going to start. I don't even want to touch something that isn't the "pure metal", because I know how my body will react. And seeing someone else where something that isn't "the pure metal" makes me start scratching myself.

I have a kickboxing partner who wears her gorgeous, super dainty wedding set, it's a braided pave shank with a micropave fitted band and a honkin' stone in the ering. She wears the thing while she's doing the muay thai and bjj. I actually get a panicked reaction knowing that. She doesn't have time to go home before class and is scared to leave it in her bag, even though it's in plain view of everyone and no one walks in without anyone seeing it and surely there are plenty of fighters that would stop someone from taking it. But she wears it anyway...and I absolutely lost my mind knowing that she's wearing that thing to PUNCH SOMEONE.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences, ame. I keep searching the 'net for information and also did some reading in one of my ancient psychoanalytic tomes here. I think progress on this is going to be slow, but I think there has to be more information out there. ;))

Deb

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot believe I didn't correct my sentence that said "where" something. I had a different line there and changed it and didn't even see that. Jeez.

Anyway...

I have a lot of crazy ticks about myself where jewelry is involved but I don't like crewneck shirts either, because I also feel trapped and esp in the summer. If it's some kind of "free tshirt" situation, I cut the neck immediately so it becomes a vneck or something. I won't wear it and can't handle it otherwise.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ame - I agree that I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thank you for sharing those. I have similar quirks, such as feeling extremely hot and trapped in the summer if my clothes are constricting or if my hair is down. I have always attributed it to my tendencies toward anxiety/OCD. It never quite creeped into my feelings toward jewelry. I love a good, heavy statement necklace any time of year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1436712284|3901925 said:
I cannot believe I didn't correct my sentence that said "where" something. I had a different line there and changed it and didn't even see that. Jeez.

Anyway...

I have a lot of crazy ticks about myself where jewelry is involved but I don't like crewneck shirts either, because I also feel trapped and esp in the summer. If it's some kind of "free tshirt" situation, I cut the neck immediately so it becomes a vneck or something. I won't wear it and can't handle it otherwise.

I get itchy when I see someone wearing a sweater that looks itchy to me and ditto turtle necks of any kind. Makes me hot and itchy just thinking about it.

I also get cold when I see someone not wearing weather appropriate clothing. Haha I have some crazy in me most definitely and feel these things rather acutely at times. :oops:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1436725303|3901986 said:
ame|1436712284|3901925 said:
I also get cold when I see someone not wearing weather appropriate clothing. Haha I have some crazy in me most definitely and feel these things rather acutely at times.

We'll have to have another thread where we confess to the crazy in us. Otherwise, I suspect, this thread will get diluted. ;)) I have one of my own to share. I thought I was the only one with that weird symptom until I a few years ago I read about it in, "The New York Times"! But I will not digress in this thread!

(missy, you did not digress, your symptoms were all similar to the jewelry one and to ame's symptoms. Mine is incredibly different. I just wanted to make that clear!)

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this long list of postings kind of amazing. If one reads enough about this phenomenon, there are many recurring themes. Not everyone who has the problem reacts to the same things in the same way, but often there will be several people who share a reaction. Some people who hate jewelry also hate coins, for instance. Some people who hate jewelry also hate pearls. Some people who cannot tolerate metal jewelry can tolerate plastic or "jelly" or string jewelry; others cannot. Some people fear all round objects.

I continue to be fascinated and to want to learn more. I do not think I am going to find one secret answer any more than there is any one way in which someone suffers from OCD, but this is still just a beginning of exploration for me.

Link...http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/intense-fear-of-jewelry-comments.html

Deb/AGBF
:read:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ihy138|1436723802|3901979 said:
Ame - I agree that I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thank you for sharing those. I have similar quirks, such as feeling extremely hot and trapped in the summer if my clothes are constricting or if my hair is down. I have always attributed it to my tendencies toward anxiety/OCD. It never quite creeped into my feelings toward jewelry. I love a good, heavy statement necklace any time of year.
I would definitely attribute this to both a phobia and to anxiety/OCD. I have all of the above going on. I have a lot of trapping issues. Swaddling a baby freaks me the hell out. My nephews both hate it, thankfully, because watching a kid all trapped in a baby straightjacket makes me lose my marbles. I can't be "tucked in" to bed. Speaking of bed: I have a hard time going to sleep at night because I have fears of being kidnapped in my sleep and locked up and trapped somewhere.

Speaking of trapped: I have a motto--Pants free is the way to be. At home DH and I are often in our underwear. I usually have a shirt on but usually no mas pantalones. I laugh because my nephews are the same way, and when I babysit them, my sister will leave the house and they will both be clothed. When she gets home, NO PANTS. Usually because when I change their bottoms I don't bother putting pants back on. FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy - Itchy sweaters have to be my number one pet peeve!!! I am very particular about my sweaters because of it. I always think that I'll be able to deal with the feeling and end up changing during the day.

Ame - That's funny you say that, because I have a similar fear about home invasions. Doesn't stop me from sleeping unless I'm already anxious, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results