shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS and GIA certs

cluelessman77

Rough_Rock
Are there any online retailers that double certify their diamonds with both GIA and AGS? I believe that from what I've seen, AGS is much better at grading cut and a 000 really means something, but from personal experience I haven't found their color grading very impressive. I am very color sensitive and feel that GIA is far more reliable at accurately grading color and clarity, but this site has taught me to that the GIA XXX is practically worthless since it is such a broad category. This is why I would feel very comfortable buying a diamond with a double certification but I don't know if any online vendors do that. I do not live in a big city so none of the in house price scope vendors will work for me, but it seems like most of the online vendors affiliated with pricescope are AGS certed only.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
It wouldn't be cost effective to double cert. I've never seen this done. Go with a high color with AGS 000?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll bet many diamonds get graded by two labs, but then the retailer throws away the one with lower grades.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can buy a GIA stone with a helium report which will show its cut quality.

cluelessman77

Rough_Rock
Could anyone help me find a GIA certified 1.75 carat F VS2 diamond with ideal proportions/helium report. I'd prefer to stay around 20k if possible. Thank you so much for your help!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out Good Old Gold for Helium Scan and also although some diamonds have an AGS cert they will tell you from the helium scan how your diamond would grade for cut in GIA terms. Color would only be an opinion though unless you get a GIA certificate. Then again though, with buying a GIA certed diamond you would not be able to get an AGS cut rating as that is performed by AGS only using their own software. I remember someone on this board buying an AGS certed diamond and then having it sent to GIA for a GIA cert but it backfired and they got a Color grade lower and just had to come to terms with it, Could always buy a color grade higher than your minimum AGS and know you wouldbe happy with the lower grade if it came to pass. AGS certs are more expensive than GIA though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results