shape
carat
color
clarity

Share my excitement! Not bling, clothes...

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

Ok, this is NOT jewelry related, but I'm excited and wanted to share. :D I posted in the random comments thread that I have been struggling with making pants. Actually I've struggled with BUYING pants that fit (with pockets, washable, and REASONABLE). By the time I found a pair they were the ONLY ones and I can't find another pair. :angryfire: So, I decided to MAKE pants. Now, for some people (like my friend) making pants is easy, not for me. I tried SEVERAL patterns, making SEVERAL "test" pairs and NONE fit! Sigh. So I purchased a pants fitting system (http://www.surefitdesigns.com) where you basically enter your numbers onto the master pattern and come up with the perfect fit. Well, not quite for me, more tweaking, but I was close. Now I took one thing I LOVED about a different pattern and added it to my pattern and SUCCESS!!! Here is the awesome pair (I have made another pair, but these are more comfortable). :D Anyone else make their own clothes? :D :D

cam00921.jpg

cam00922.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I'm really impressed! I used to sew in my teens and early twenties but my sewing machine kept breaking down. I used to make shorts with an elastic waistband. I imagine pants take skill!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job on the slacks!
I really LOVE my sewing machine.
I like to make lots of things for around the house, and I have dabbled in quilting.
Sometimes, if I like the way a store bought garment fits, I will make my own pattern from it, and then make "copies".
It is also nice to alter your own clothing. I do a lot of that.
I like to salvage material from vintage dresses, kimonos, or anything that is made of beautiful fabric, and make something new from it.
Of course would only do this if the vintage item is beyond hope as it is.
Good luck with the sewing--it is so much fun!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely impressed! It has been years since I touched a sewing machine and I think I just don't have the patience. But I totally understand your desire to make some with the right fit. I am able to find most clothes to fit, but shoes is the thing I have trouble finding because of a very narrow foot. Alas, I surely can't make those! :lol: I think you did a great job! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they look fantastic, you did a wonderful job! Congratulations on your success!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow and wow and wow! Congratulations CS! It must be wonderful to have pants that fit comfortably and look great! (Someday I hope to find out... :( )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful pants cozystitches and I am very impressed! What is that saying? Necessity is the mother of invention. You couldn't find pants that fit well and comfortably so you figured out how to make them yourself. Well done. :appl:

I cannot sew a lick but a couple of years ago my dh taught himself to sew and got a Janome sewing machine and the rest is history. Every piece of clothing I wear now fits perfectly because of his alterations. I want him to make me a dress and now your making these pants have inspired me to get him started on that project. LOL I know my limitations.

Do you have any future sewing plans for anything else now that you have conquered pants? I bet anything you sew would be lovely and think of the possibilities. No longer at the mercy of clothing manufacturers.

Good job! :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
That's very impressive - well done!
I've often thought about learning how to sew. I could save a fortune in alterations costs and I think that I'd enjoy it too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! I should probably try that. I have an hourglass shape (all natural not man made :lol: ) so anytime I find pants that fit my butt and thighs, they swim around my waist. Most of the time if I'm sewing anything its for the dog :lol:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the compliments! Sorry for the sideways pics. :( They don't look like that on my computer...

As for going for it, the "Necessity is the mother of all inventions" is totally true! So many things that I've learned have been because I want to or it seems interesting. Learned how to knit because I thought knit socks would be cool; learned cooking because well hubby wants dinner daily :rolleyes:

As for what to make now that pants work, oh so many things!!! First I'm going to try shirts. I was thinking to redo my wardrobe, I'd like to be more classy and less ugh frumpy. I wear whats comfortable, so if I can get classy looking clothes that are comfy then I have succeeded! After shirts, I'm going to make :Up_to_something: undies :lol: ! I hate how expensive clothes have become! Its CRAZY! So I figure if I can make something in the same price range, it will be higher quality because I've made it (and am working on things like Hong Kong Finish and Blind Hem!) and I am paying attention to the details. I know that people won't see the insides of my pants (well except I'm totally showing them off!), but I know that there is fun fabric inside on the pocket stays.... :D And the bias tape that I made with pokadots to use in the blind hem w/the Hong Kong finish, way cool. :D

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great job! I used to make a lot of clothing. When my kids were little I made them all new Easter outfits every year-shirts for the boys and a dress for my daughter. I dabbled in some heirloom sewing as well. I smocked a couple dresses for my daughter. We saved every one. I labored over those dresses. The insides were as beautifully finished as the outside. One of the last things I made was an heirloom nightgown for my mom. I don't think she appreciated it. I am pretty sure she gave it away, I never saw it again. It was a lovely creation that I designed myself with hand embroidery and french lace that was very soft and entredeux. Sigh..

I have thought about making pants but have never tried. The quilting bug hit and I never looked back. Maybe someday. You are inspiring me Cozystitches!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Luv2Sparkle, that nightgown sounds beautiful! I do quilting as well, not as much in a long while as I live in the desert adn we don't need that many quilts. I will pick up my hand quilting when we retire and are traveling as I'll need a project that's portable. Those small hexagons are great for traveling! :D

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I wore my pants yesterday and while they were a bit too big, I thought I could deal with it. I was mistaken, they were driving me NUTS so, I picked out part of the waistband and hem and took them in 1/2" on each sideseam and inseam. So much better! They look better too! :D :D The waistband isn't as pretty, which just means I'll need to get more fabric :naughty: and make a few more pairs. :Up_to_something: I am such a project person, I love the process! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you sew well! :appl: I, too, am tired of trousers that do not fit well in the right places, have unusable pockets, are made of flimsy thin material, yet costs so much.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, good for you, Cozystitches! It is awesome that you were willing to take out the waistband and work on it some more. That really shows your level of commitment to mastering this process. Most of the time, when I get to that point, I give up. I am really impressed that you did that!

I have a ton of patterns for clothing. I made a lot in the 80's with the jumper craze thing going on. They were comfortable, but now I cringe seeing them. I don't make quilts for blankets either. Mostly to hang on walls or just because I want too. My quilt making slowed over the years do to life circumstances but I am trying to start up again in earnest. I really want to improve my skills and that takes practice. I want to be a master quilter in many areas. The hardest part is forcing myself to focus on it. Once I get past it, I will be good I think.

As I was thinking about your pants project, I realized I have upgraded my sewing machines much more than diamonds over the years! That gives me a little chuckle. When you get your pants perfect to your liking, please post another photo!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much I appreciate the kind words :love: My photographer is off playing with grandma, so pictures will have to wait, but believe me that they fit MUCH better!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
That is really awesome! I wish I knew how to sew. My mom studied fashion design ; tailoring and now teaches quilting, she has even made bridal gowns and suits for friends. I was lucky to have a mom that could make anything I wanted, and several of my dresses for important events such as prom were made by my mom. Luckily for non-sewer me, being a ruler (no curves), I fit into most standard lengths and widths in clothes, so she doesn't make clothes for me nowadays. However, when my mom comes to visit each year, I still ask her to sew some customized stuff for me. Sofa cushions, Curtains, even duvet covers. Here is my duvet and pillow covers that she made for me last year.

_31131.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results