• Ring #2-HOF Lazare 1.06ct G SI1

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Neither. Find a better 1ct+ plat ring for $7k

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theDuke

Rough_Rock
Like the title says I'm looking at 2 engagement rings that are both $7k before tax. They are both technically used rings though they look brand new. I presume they are from failed engagements and both rings are supposedly made in 2013 or 2014. I don't buy into the stigma of bad karma though I'm not sure my soon to be fiance does. I don't even know if there's much point in telling her how they were acquired.

Anyways, here's the two rings i'm looking at.

Ring #1- Tiffany 1.23 or 1.28ct solitare platinum ring.
-I can't even read my own writing but it's one of these two weights. It's only a photocopy of the cert.
-G VS2
-Triple EX by Tiffany's grading
-HCA score is 2.6
-size 7 platinum classic 6 prong setting
-retail price $21,000

Ring #2 - Hearts on Fire Transcend Platinum Engagement ring
-1.06ct center G SI1 Lazare cut
-.30ct full round cut H-I VS1-VS2 stones in halo and band
-depth 61.7, table 56, crown 34.3, pavilion 41
-HCA score of 1.6 TIC.
-light return- EX. Fire, Scintillation, and spread- VG
-AGS cut grade Ideal 0
-Fluorescence:Negligible
-seller cannot find AGS report but has #. Not sure if I can obtain full report from AGS including inclusion map, ASET or idealscope images.
-retail price $15,700

Ring #1 has bigger center and is a Tiffany with absurd retail value of $5,000 more. Size 7 so needs to be resized to 6.

Ring #2 is size 6 so no resizing. Halo design so it should look bigger from a distance. Better HCA score but we like fire and scintillation and this ring is only VG.

Both are good deals and I think I could resell them and break even if fiance doesn't like it. I can only afford to get one though so which would you prefer. I have 30 day return but only for store credit. Would have to get independent appraisal and I probably can't do AGS or GIA since they want loose stones, right? Any advice you could offer me?

ncabanil

Rough_Rock
i'm in the same boat. I found a 1.23 ct G/VS2 tiffany ring for $7000 cash price out the door and i'm gonna take it. The appraisal of the Tiffany ring in your comparison is higher, and i'm also betting your Fiance will freak when she finds out its a Tiffany piece. and If you have to sell it, i think you'll have a much easier time selling the Tiffany piece than the second one.

The one i found is a size 5 that will have to be resized to a size 7. You'rs is a size 7. Wanna trade? lol

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
There's some things to consider.

#1. If you gf is astute she might wonder why you don't have the diamond documentation for a new ring. So you might want to check with her if a used ring is okay.

#2. Tiffany will charge a couple hundred to resize the ring.

#3. 30 day return for store credit isn't a good return policy at all.

#4. Lack or original documentation is a bit of a concern. But perhaps the other party kept it and refused to return it. Both are good values but without proper documentation the resale value is affected so you might be lucky to break even. At worst you probably wouldn't lose more than $1000 though I don't know what your sales tax rate is either.

As for which ring it should come down to your gf's preferences. Does she love Tiffany&Co.? Does she like the classic solitaire or the more modern halo design? Also do you know what the dimensions are of the tiffany diamond?

theDuke

Rough_Rock
ncabanil|1432750983|3881880 said:
i'm in the same boat. I found a 1.23 ct G/VS2 tiffany ring for $7000 cash price out the door and i'm gonna take it. The appraisal of the Tiffany ring in your comparison is higher, and i'm also betting your Fiance will freak when she finds out its a Tiffany piece. and If you have to sell it, i think you'll have a much easier time selling the Tiffany piece than the second one.

The one i found is a size 5 that will have to be resized to a size 7. You'rs is a size 7. Wanna trade? lol

Hmm, so if the ring you're looking at is of similar specs and price then I'm wondering if this is just the true market value.

The Tiffany name does carry some clout but unfortunately not that much with my fiance. She isn't that into jewelry perhaps mostly because no one has ever bought her nice stuff. She is more into designer handbags and I have bought used ones that were in excellent condition and she had no problems with that.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are completely different styles of rings. Not all women like solitares, not all women like halos. I would strongly suggest checking with her (or snooping her pinterest page, etc) to see what she likes before you buy. That return policy isnt great.

theDuke

Rough_Rock
solgen|1432751922|3881887 said:

#1. If you gf is astute she might wonder why you don't have the diamond documentation for a new ring. So you might want to check with her if a used ring is okay.

#4. Lack or original documentation is a bit of a concern. But perhaps the other party kept it and refused to return it. Both are good values but without proper documentation the resale value is affected so you might be lucky to break even. At worst you probably wouldn't lose more than $1000 though I don't know what your sales tax rate is either.

As for which ring it should come down to your gf's preferences. Does she love Tiffany&Co.? Does she like the classic solitaire or the more modern halo design? Also do you know what the dimensions are of the tiffany diamond?

1. She was okay with used but excellent condition designer handbags so I would assume an engagement ring would be okay. Then again used handbags don't potentially carry bad karma around. I guess I'll have to ask.

2. That seems reasonable. I wonder if they can reissue the paperwork.

3. What is a good return policy for used rings?

4. Thanks. This explains why the price might be so low. Is there a way to obtain the documents from the retailer?

5. She has no real preference for jewelry. I'm sure she'll like a Tiffany ring but it's not something she craves. We looked at rings and she wants sparkly and something a decent size. She loved stones nearing 2ct but I just can't afford that. She liked pave diamonds in the band. She liked the 2ct solitaires. She like some halos that had 1.5ct centers. The halos she didn't really like were ones that had gaps from it and the center stone. Or ones that were much lower than the center stone.

6. The dimensions of the Tiffany stone were 6.91×6.88×4.35mm

ncabanil

Rough_Rock
theDuke|1432753459|3881899 said:
solgen|1432751922|3881887 said:

1. She was okay with used but excellent condition designer handbags so I would assume an engagement ring would be okay. Then again used handbags don't potentially carry bad karma around. I guess I'll have to ask.

4. Thanks. This explains why the price might be so low. Is there a way to obtain the documents from the retailer?

5. She has no real preference for jewelry. I'm sure she'll like a Tiffany ring but it's not something she craves. We looked at rings and she wants sparkly and something a decent size. She loved stones nearing 2ct but I just can't afford that. She liked pave diamonds in the band. She liked the 2ct solitaires. She like some halos that had 1.5ct centers. The halos she didn't really like were ones that had gaps from it and the center stone. Or ones that were much lower than the center stone.

based on your dimensions, its a 1.28 ct diamond. Just for reference, 1.23 ct G/VS2 triple EX GIA certified loose diamonds start at $8K in the Downtown LA market, so yes, it is market rate for non-tiffany stones. We all know that Tiffany grossly inflates their prices for the "name". I would never buy a Tiffany ring at their retail price of $18-20K. But at $7k? its a steal.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
theDuke|1432753459|3881899 said:

Tiffany won't reissue their diamond certs only their appraisals. At least that's what I was told by a sales person. I don't know what AGSL's policy is.

A good return policy would be 100% money back.

Here's a size comparison of the two stones, **edited by moderator, please do not use affiliate linked websites on PS** It could be significant to you or it may not.

A Kaplan Lazare and a Hearts on Fire ring is an interesting combo as HoF have their own premium cut stones. Something could be fishy there.

The 2nd ring is ags0 cut so it will perform well. HCA of 2.6 for the tiffany is an unknown. Because of this I would buy the second ring myself. I would also see if the seller can obtain the certs and if not you may be better off looking at retailers here like BG or WF who offer ideal cuts as well. But a super ideal cut 1ct G VS2 in a platinum setting for $7k is going to be very difficult to find.

Since you've presumably seen both does anything stand out? Does one look better than the other? If they are from the same retailer maybe you can take side by side pics?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you at least take it into a Tiffany store before you pay for it and verify it is a genuine Tiffany product and that the stone is as described - people can have a photocopied certificate and switch out the centre stone so be wary. Make sure you get anything preloved verified either by a decent independent appraise you choose (not the seller) or take it into a Tiffany store and have everything checked out.

theDuke

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1432768130|3882004 said:
Can you at least take it into a Tiffany store before you pay for it and verify it is a genuine Tiffany product and that the stone is as described - people can have a photocopied certificate and switch out the centre stone so be wary. Make sure you get anything preloved verified either by a decent independent appraise you choose (not the seller) or take it into a Tiffany store and have everything checked out.

Not without purchasing it first. However it is inscribed with a number and it matches the certificate. How hard is it for someone to switch out the stone and have it laser inscribed?

For those saying go find another ring. Where can I find a 1ct ags 0 or ideal cut diamond even in a simple platinum setting for $7k? I'd like to stick with an eye clean SI1 or better and G or better in color. So far the diamond alone is $7-8k so where do you find these deals?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results