shape
carat
color
clarity

Mozambique garnets from Barry

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought 2 Mozambique garnets from Barry last week. The oval is 4.99 carats and 12.2x8.6mm, and the square cushion is 5.22 carats and 9.2mm. I was really pleased when I received these and was planning on having one bezel set in ring. The cushion is a bit darker than the oval-- do you think it would darken up much if set in a bezel? Are there other ways to set cabs or is it usually in a bezel?

Here are Barry's pics followed by my own.

ga-1418g_483_general.jpg

ga-1420g_273_general.jpg

_30269.jpg

_30270.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more.

_30271.jpg

_30272.jpg

_30273.jpg

garnets1.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one.

garnets2.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
They look luscious! Looking forward to seeing how you set them.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh.. you got the square cushion! (It was sold by time I was able to look at the sale).

Congrats on both...they are beauties!

I have a lapis cabachon ring that is prong set but my stone isn't as deep which may negate the ability to use a prong setting. Although less noticeable due to the halo, I would have preferred my ring prongs that looked less functional and more like part of the design. I think a bezel setting would be perfect (but can't respond to whether it darkens a stone - perhaps not so much if raised?).

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ricezo! One of them will be bezelled in yellow gold for a ring but I'm not sure whether it will get much darker if set that way.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1431743468|3877333 said:
Ahhh.. you got the square cushion! (It was sold by time I was able to look at the sale).

Congrats on both...they are beauties!

I have a lapis cabachon ring that is prong set but my stone isn't as deep which may negate the ability to use a prong setting. Although less noticeable due to the halo, I would have preferred my ring prongs that looked less functional and more like part of the design. I think a bezel setting would be perfect (but can't respond to whether it darkens a stone - perhaps not so much if raised?).

Thanks, lilmosun. That's a good point. Maybe if the stone is raised, the bezel won't darken it much. Off to google bezel-set cabs...

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both stones are gorgeous! I love the deep red color. :appl:

I have no idea if it will darken due to bezel set. Maybe you can get yellow color paper and wrap it around to evaluate if you like the look. Some bezel cab settings have an open back, some aren't. So you might like to take that into account while doing the wrap. Stuller has quite a few standard size ones but I find their variety lacking. I saw many lovely silver ones on riogrande. Can use them as inspiration if you aren't keen on silver. Can't wait to see how you set them!

ETA: I like this frame but it's for a pendant. I wonder if it will look nice as a ring.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-Oval-Leaf-Cameo-Cabochon-Pendant-Mountings/697483?Pos=9

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy to prong set a cab. You don't often see them prong set though but it's most definitely do-able. The prongs need to be as high as where the stone starts to curve inwards so the prongs have to bend inwards and then the stone will be held by the tension. In the photo below the prongs are much higher than they need to be but that's just for design purposes. It's actually the same principle as bezel setting, it's just with a bezel you have contact all the way around the stone which makes it a bit more secure (in theory).

You'll probably find if you bezel set, they will be only very slightly darker than the photo of them on your hand but the key to ensuring they don't go too dark is you must ask the jeweller to keep the underside of the stone fairly free of metal then this will promote the light going through it.

Below is a picture of a prong set cab. Can you see that the stone is sitting on a piece of metal the same shape as the bottom of the stone? If that is no wider than a few millimeters going all around the bottom of the stone, the light will be able to pass through from top to bottom and through the sides also. This will allow for maximum light.

prong_set_cab.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful cabs baby nurse! I too can't wait to see how you set these.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I actually like those better in RL than I do in his pics. Lovely! :appl:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Those are amazing!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For prong-set cabochon inspiration, take a look at these:

Megeve's thread and her super-gorgeous Mahenge and Tsav sugarloaf cab rings - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-sugarloaves-rings-are-here.134082/.

And etsy vendor Heart of Water's very pretty Rubellite cab ring - https://www.etsy.com/listing/325165...ring-in-18k-rose-gold?ref=shop_home_active_10

I'm eager to see what you decide on for your two Barry cabs! I too am about to embark on setting several cabs (also from Barry) and while I know I'd like etsy vendor Janish Jewels to do some of them, the others I would like prong-set a la the Megeve style...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stones, and I look forward to seeing the finished rings.

DK :))

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1431760350|3877384 said:
Both stones are gorgeous! I love the deep red color. :appl:

I have no idea if it will darken due to bezel set. Maybe you can get yellow color paper and wrap it around to evaluate if you like the look. Some bezel cab settings have an open back, some aren't. So you might like to take that into account while doing the wrap. Stuller has quite a few standard size ones but I find their variety lacking. I saw many lovely silver ones on riogrande. Can use them as inspiration if you aren't keen on silver. Can't wait to see how you set them!

ETA: I like this frame but it's for a pendant. I wonder if it will look nice as a ring.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-Oval-Leaf-Cameo-Cabochon-Pendant-Mountings/697483?Pos=9

Thanks, thecat! I will try the paper bezel test. I think having the open back will be key in keeping the stone from darkening.

I love that riogrande pendant you linked :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1431765636|3877389 said:
It's easy to prong set a cab. You don't often see them prong set though but it's most definitely do-able. The prongs need to be as high as where the stone starts to curve inwards so the prongs have to bend inwards and then the stone will be held by the tension. In the photo below the prongs are much higher than they need to be but that's just for design purposes. It's actually the same principle as bezel setting, it's just with a bezel you have contact all the way around the stone which makes it a bit more secure (in theory).

You'll probably find if you bezel set, they will be only very slightly darker than the photo of them on your hand but the key to ensuring they don't go too dark is you must ask the jeweller to keep the underside of the stone fairly free of metal then this will promote the light going through it.

Below is a picture of a prong set cab. Can you see that the stone is sitting on a piece of metal the same shape as the bottom of the stone? If that is no wider than a few millimeters going all around the bottom of the stone, the light will be able to pass through from top to bottom and through the sides also. This will allow for maximum light.

Thank you for the detailed reply and picture, LD-- it really helped! I'll be sure to pass this information along to the jeweler.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words, Lovinggems, iLander, lorrissey, and dk168!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1431799580|3877507 said:
For prong-set cabochon inspiration, take a look at these:

Megeve's thread and her super-gorgeous Mahenge and Tsav sugarloaf cab rings - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-sugarloaves-rings-are-here.134082/.

And etsy vendor Heart of Water's very pretty Rubellite cab ring - https://www.etsy.com/listing/325165...ring-in-18k-rose-gold?ref=shop_home_active_10

I'm eager to see what you decide on for your two Barry cabs! I too am about to embark on setting several cabs (also from Barry) and while I know I'd like etsy vendor Janish Jewels to do some of them, the others I would like prong-set a la the Megeve style...

Thank you for these examples, marymm! This was super helpful. I saw Megeve's sugarloaf cab rings when she posted them but had completely forgotten about them. That's how I'd like to have the cushion set, right down to the yellow gold. I do like Janish Jewels as well. She set Fly Girl's rose quartz from Barry a few years back in a beautiful bezel. I think it was Jewel of the Week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results