shape
carat
color
clarity

Csarite - Turkish Diaspore

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this gem stone? The only info I can find online seems to be from the marketing team of the mine that named it "Csarite".

Thoughts?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought that Turkish Diaspore was known as Zultanite? Or is that only when it changes colour?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No idea - that's why I thought I'd throw the question out there. Has anyone seen it in real life?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion an ugly gemstone - neither the daylight nor the incandescent light color are really beautiful.

Fantasienames like "Zultanite" - and really overpriced.

A bit like Tanzanite marketing but Tanzanite is extremely beautiful!!! Diaspore has a weak CC - alexandrite, CC garnet and sapphire show a much better change.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Marlow - appreciate your feedback on it. I shall be going to Istanbul later this year and, of course, did a little search on jewelry stores and stones which is where the Csarite name came up. Good to know that I shouldn't be wasting too much time on it.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just saw a video on YT with a Zultanite, it had a really nice shift from green to yellowish-orange. I think my curious side is about to take over and I am going to research everything I can about Diaspore. :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you like to know? I've been to the mine and so know quite a bit about this gemstone.

Just to clear up some confusion about the name - this gemstone, when it hit the market about 10 years ago, was marketed as Zultanite. The name was made up by the two partners who owned the mine. Several years later, their partnership dissolved and one partner retained the rights to use that name. However, the other partner took over mining but then had to change the name. He re-branded the stone as Csarite.

In terms of chemical composition, it is actually a Diaspore (sometimes referred to as Turkish Diaspore as this is where it's mined).

Marlow - a good Csarite is gorgeous but it has muted colours. Typically a pale green in daylight and a rose pink in incandescent - so almost like a pastel version of Alex!

zultanite_diaspore_both_colourways.jpg

_30215.jpg

zultanite_snowflakes1_trim.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those snowflakes are brilliant, I'm pretty sure it's cut by the Wobito brothers if I am not mistaken?

I'd love to get my hands on some Csarite/Zultanite/Turkish Diaspore rough to cut into a stone for the wife. Unfortunately I don't think there are any lapidaries in Australia who would be able to cut the rough though :(

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't intend to visit the mine but just thought it wise to investigate the stone before I head to Istanbul - I don't want to get caught up in the marketing hype. I shall certainly make a point of checking it out there though so I can see the colour change for myself.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
jordyonbass|1431591822|3876510 said:
Those snowflakes are brilliant, I'm pretty sure it's cut by the Wobito brothers if I am not mistaken?

I'd love to get my hands on some Csarite/Zultanite/Turkish Diaspore rough to cut into a stone for the wife. Unfortunately I don't think there are any lapidaries in Australia who would be able to cut the rough though :(

I would not buy rough Diaspore - it is very difficult to cut.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BlingObsession|1431594691|3876514 said:
I don't intend to visit the mine but just thought it wise to investigate the stone before I head to Istanbul - I don't want to get caught up in the marketing hype. I shall certainly make a point of checking it out there though so I can see the colour change for myself.

I don't think you can visit the mine anyway - we had to sign all sorts of secrecy documents - but we were invited by the mine owner. I'm not entirely sure that you'll get good Csarite/Diaspore in Istanbul actually. From what I remember (and this may have changed in the past 2 years) is that the majority (if not all) of the rough is bought by one particular company for cutting etc. So what you may find in Istanbul may not be great but of course it's worth having a look.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1431591822|3876510 said:

Yes it is a Wobito. I've got three of their snowflakes and the cutting is wonderful. My favourite is my Tanzanite one :D I agree with Marlow that cutting it isn't for the faint of heart. Interestingly, most of the rough was fairly small and/or skinny and because of how it cuts would only yield small gemstones. The mine is actually a Bauxite mine and Csarite/Diaspore is a nice side product! Mining for the Diaspore wasn't granted until 2005 and I think it's the only working Diaspore mine in the world at the moment.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1431590431|3876506 said:
What would you like to know? I've been to the mine and so know quite a bit about this gemstone.

Just to clear up some confusion about the name - this gemstone, when it hit the market about 10 years ago, was marketed as Zultanite. The name was made up by the two partners who owned the mine. Several years later, their partnership dissolved and one partner retained the rights to use that name. However, the other partner took over mining but then had to change the name. He re-branded the stone as Csarite.

In terms of chemical composition, it is actually a Diaspore (sometimes referred to as Turkish Diaspore as this is where it's mined).

Marlow - a good Csarite is gorgeous but it has muted colours. Typically a pale green in daylight and a rose pink in incandescent - so almost like a pastel version of Alex!

Csarite.... such a stupid name - russian Csar for a turkish gem :naughty: Why not "Ivanite" or "Nikolausite"?

Diaspore with this poor color change would be a gemmological interesting collector stone - 20 pct maybe.

But a hyped premium gem..... with a daylight mix color with grey, green and yellow- brown and the same in incandescent light with reddish brown instead of green.

There are cheap Songea Sapphire with a similar change - of course smaller but still a Sapphire! And very cheap and untreated.

I have seen a lot of Diaspore in Shows - one of the most overrated gem material. But just my opinion....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431597739|3876527 said:
LD|1431590431|3876506 said:

Csarite.... such a stupid name - russian Csar for a turkish gem :naughty: Why not "Ivanite" or "Nikolausite"?

Diaspore with this poor color change would be a gemmological interesting collector stone - 20 pct maybe.

But a hyped premium gem..... with a daylight mix color with grey, green and yellow- brown and the same in incandescent light with reddish brown instead of green.

There are cheap Songea Sapphire with a similar change - of course smaller but still a Sapphire! And very cheap and untreated.

I have seen a lot of Diaspore in Shows - one of the most overrated gem material. But just my opinion....

Oh Marlow you cynic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The original name was of course to represent the Sultans (Zultans) of Turkey. However as Diaspore was originally discovered in the Urals in Russia it (sort of) makes sense to change the name to reflect the Czars!

I agree that there are lots more gemstones that are more beautiful and have a nicer colour change. I absolutely agree with you. However, this is an interesting gem (and anything that changes colour fascinates me). The pastel colours also appeal to many. Also, as far as I'm aware, Diaspore is typically untreated (which unfortunately we can't say about sapphires or garnets).

Like you, give me an Alex or a colour change Garnet or Sapphire anytime BUT if Diaspore is cheap enough then hey, it makes lovely jewellery!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431598668|3876532 said:
:D

Yes, I am cynic...

http://www.csarite.com/en/shop/index.html

Look at the cheap unbelievable beaaaaaaauuuuuttttiiiiiifuull cabs. So cheap......

Read the describtion----EYECLEAN

http://www.csarite.com/en/shop/10.html

Normally they have to give me money to ad this to my collection... :D

And I love color change gems toooooo!!!!! :appl:

:-o :-o :errrr: :errrr: :-o :-o Seriously? I mean, seriously? What planet are they living on????? Diaspore should sell for hundreds not thousands! I know Wobito adds a premium but not that much! Crikey I'm stunned!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A good single malt and looking at your beautiful alexandrites helps a lot!! :D

And again a vendor selling overpriced gems with lies about gem treatment and penetrant self promotion about social activities...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1431604877|3876588 said:

YES!!

http://www.gemporia.com/en-gb/product/csarite-and-white-zircon-9k-gold-ring-atgw-1.78cts/iyps82/

This one is 215 £ - so lets say the Diaspore is around 75 £ with 1,7 ct -- so around 40-50 £ pct. And not 500 $ pct like the ugly cab from the
other homepage.

If somebody like this gem - o.k. - the price is fair. :appl:

BUT WHY CAN THEY OFFER THEM SO CHEAP?? Only one mine....? I am confused...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431611593|3876647 said:
LD|1431604877|3876588 said:

YES!!

http://www.gemporia.com/en-gb/product/csarite-and-white-zircon-9k-gold-ring-atgw-1.78cts/iyps82/

This one is 215 £ - so lets say the Diaspore is around 75 £ with 1,7 ct -- so around 40-50 £ pct. And not 500 $ pct like the ugly cab from the
other homepage.

If somebody like this gem - o.k. - the price is fair. :appl:

BUT WHY CAN THEY OFFER THEM SO CHEAP?? Only one mine....? I am confused...

They have a deal with Murat the mine owner and they buy a huge proportion of what comes out of the ground and facet in house

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting to read different opinions here. This gem has never appealed to me personally from what I've seen.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1431636013|3876819 said:
It's interesting to read different opinions here. This gem has never appealed to me personally from what I've seen.

Many collector gems are not very "attractive" - colorless hambergite looks like glass, most taaffeite and musgravite like very cheap spinel,
some a soft, some are very small or extremely rare ( columbian blue to bluish green euclase found in the emerald mines)

Diaspore has an interesting color change - but not a new tanzanite or tsavorite imo.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1431637430|3876826 said:

Many collector gems are not very "attractive" - colorless hambergite looks like glass, most taaffeite and musgravite like very cheap spinel,
some a soft, some are very small or extremely rare ( columbian blue to bluish green euclase found in the emerald mines)

Diaspore has an interesting color change - but not a new tanzanite or tsavorite imo.

I agree. At the end of the day this comes down to whether you like the colour or not - as it does with most gemstones! For example, I don't see the appeal of Citrine at all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think we definitely agree (in the main) that it can be horribly overpriced!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes LD !!

But Uli cuts awesome citrine!

tar_ik

Rough_Rock
I have just purchased a csraite ring in just under 2ct, I'm quite excited to receive it as i think it looks very pretty (im quite new to coloured gems). Will post a pic once i have it x

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LD|1431638980|3876840 said:

I agree. At the end of the day this comes down to whether you like the colour or not - as it does with most gemstones! For example, I don't see the appeal of Citrine at all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think we definitely agree (in the main) that it can be horribly overpriced!

I also agree that it depends if you like/love the colour. I happen to love the smoky olives, browns and rusts as it reminds me of Andalusite. I have a precision cut Andalusite and it is a gorgeous gem. The colour won't appeal to everyone but I love it. When I first saw a picture of a "Zultanite" ring I thought it was an Andalusite. As much as I love the colour I would never pay those prices listed on the Czarite website. LD - how exciting to have toured the mine!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles4me|1431701505|3877069 said:
LD|1431638980|3876840 said:

I also agree that it depends if you like/love the colour. I happen to love the smoky olives, browns and rusts as it reminds me of Andalusite. I have a precision cut Andalusite and it is a gorgeous gem. The colour won't appeal to everyone but I love it. When I first saw a picture of a "Zultanite" ring I thought it was an Andalusite. As much as I love the colour I would never pay those prices listed on the Czarite website. LD - how exciting to have toured the mine!

I want to see your Andalusite!!! I am a big fan of this gem and have two (one 3+ carats and one 5+ carats). Can you post pics or start a thread? Please. Pretty please. :)

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LisaRN - I promise to post some pictures of my Adalusite ring once I get a decent picture of it. I'm having a hard time capturing the beauty of it in a photo. My original Andalusite ring houses a poorly cut stone but I love it nevertheless. There is a long story behind my original ring which I'll tell you about when I post pictures. I want to see your stones as well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results