shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing Dyer Sapphire

travistee11

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have been searching for a round light-colored Montana Sapphire for engagement ring and think I found the perfect one on John Dyer's site. Do not have a ring/jeweler picked out and am likely going to set in a simple half bezel solitaire. Is 6mm so would not likely need custom set (suggestions?) Would it be best to contact a select retailer through his site or other retailer before purchasing or should I just purchase myself. Thinking there would likely be a wholesaler discount if purchased through a retailer and although may not see the discount directly would likely save on the backend by not having to pay extra setting fee. Thoughts on most economical way to purchase the specific stone through Dyer? Thanks!

https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Sapphire3582.html

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not certain of this (and it may have changed) but I'm pretty sure John Dyer doesn't sell to "people" - he only sells to retailers. Might be worth checking his website.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Hey! I almost purchased a sapphire from his site too a few months back. He was such a nice guy to talk to. He didn't have exactly what I was looking for so I didn't buy but he's got some beautiful stuff. Unless he changed his policy about selling to people people lately I'm pretty sure he does. Other than that I got nothing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is highly likely to require a custom setting due to the 76% depth.

S

SparkliesLuver

LD said:
I'm not certain of this (and it may have changed) but I'm pretty sure John Dyer doesn't sell to "people" - he only sells to retailers. Might be worth checking his website.

He does sell to individuals. :) ETA: Just email him. He's a very friendly guy. Responsive too.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify: the prices shown are the ones for us consumers; those in the trade should contact him for his wholesale prices.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
travistee11 - Please tell us that you purchased it as it is now sold on his website.

upcyclist

Rough_Rock
Trade
travistee11|1431127931|3874262 said:
Would it be best to contact a select retailer through his site or other retailer before purchasing or should I just purchase myself. Thinking there would likely be a wholesaler discount if purchased through a retailer and although may not see the discount directly would likely save on the backend by not having to pay extra setting fee. Thoughts on most economical way to purchase the specific stone through Dyer? Thanks!

In theory, you would pay the same. The reason a jeweler buys a stone at wholesale is so they can mark it up and sell it to the consumer at retail (this is, after all, part of the business plan). So, if a stone retails for $3k but wholesales for $2k, most jewelers would likely sell it to you, the consumer, for $3k. In reality, of course, any given retailer may pass some of the savings on to you, or hike it way up to $4-5k ;-)

travistee11

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information everyone. Had reservations regarding the depth as well and wanted to ensure I could find a custom setting that would work (did end up finding one from JuliaB that I really like). Snoozed on this one, but just was not meant to be.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess "Thou shall not covet thy neighbors goods" doesn't apply to gemstones.

The experienced Pricescoper's will tell you never to post a link of a stone your considering.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still haven't been able to view his site at all ever since a few years.. I get that password request pop-up and access forbidden screen. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results