shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this stone 1.40 carat H color V good cut VVS1

Blondekid

Rough_Rock
Hi. I've been a long time looker of the site and have finally signed up asking for opinions on a stone.
Carat weight: 1.40
Cut: V. Good
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Depth % 73.6
Table %: 71
Symmetry: V. Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Very Thick to Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.00 x 5.95 x 4.38

Should I be looking for a different stone or is this something that I should pull the trigger on? Thank you in advance. Blondekid

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Opinions on this stone 1.40 carat H color V good cut VV

Blondekid|1430258878|3869241 said:
Hi. I've been a long time looker of the site and have finally signed up asking for opinions on a stone.
Depth % 73.6

Should I be looking for a different stone or is this something that I should pull the trigger on? Thank you in advance. Blondekid
Is this a princess cut? And if so, where does the "V.Good" cut grade come from?

Blondekid

Rough_Rock

Texas Leaguer|1430259348|3869248 said:
Depth % 73.6

Yes. This is a princess cut. It is GIA certified.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Blondekid|1430259606|3869252 said:
Depth % 73.6

The reason I asked about the cut grade is that GIA does not issue one on princess cuts. So I assume that is the vendor's assessment of the cut quality.

You might want to explore a little further in this area as cut quality has a big impact on diamond beauty. Here is a good starting point:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/princess-cut-diamond

Blondekid

Rough_Rock

Texas Leaguer|1430259866|3869253 said:
Depth % 73.6

The reason I asked about the cut grade is that GIA does not issue one on princess cuts. So I assume that is the vendor's assessment of the cut quality.

You might want to explore a little further in this area as cut quality has a big impact on diamond beauty. Here is a good starting point:

I looked at the link you provided and according to the table and depth numbers, it seems to me at least that this is a well cut stone. Unless I'm missing something else. I appreciate you taking your time helping me in this.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Blondekid|1430261402|3869268 said:
Depth % 73.6

I looked at the link you provided and according to the table and depth numbers, it seems to me at least that this is a well cut stone. Unless I'm missing something else. I appreciate you taking your time helping me in this.

We have no idea of whether the stone is well-cut or not.

The details provided on a GIA report are just not enough to draw any valuable conclusions. Just having depth and table numbers within certain tolerances will not produce a guaranteed result.

You need additional imaging (Idealscope, ASET) if you're going to try to assess the cut remotely.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Depth % 73.6

Unfortunately there is not enough information provided on a GIA princess cert to understand much at all about overall cut quality or light performance. Light performance images like ASET would be very helpful, as well as video or even a static photo.

One thing to note is that the girdle is very thick. This will result in some carat weight being hidden. In other words, the diamond should have a bit more dimensionality (for instance it might be comparable in dimensions to a 1.30). Very thick girdle can also make the stone a little tricky for a setter to set properly.

Another consideration is that VVS1 may be a little overkill on clarity. A VS1 would be so clean that you would have trouble seeing anything in it with 10X magnification. VVS stones are typically matched with higher color. VS 1 or 2 is a good match for a near colorless stone such as this.

Blondekid

Rough_Rock

Texas Leaguer|1430262145|3869276 said:
Depth % 73.6

Unfortunately there is not enough information provided on a GIA princess cert to understand much at all about overall cut quality or light performance. Light performance images like ASET would be very helpful, as well as video or even a static photo.

One thing to note is that the girdle is very thick. This will result in some carat weight being hidden. In other words, the diamond should have a bit more dimensionality (for instance it might be comparable in dimensions to a 1.30). Very thick girdle can also make the stone a little tricky for a setter to set properly.

Another consideration is that VVS1 may be a little overkill on clarity. A VS1 would be so clean that you would have trouble seeing anything in it with 10X magnification. VVS stones are typically matched with higher color. VS 1 or 2 is a good match for a near colorless stone such as this.

Just when I thought I had found a stone I'm starting to second guess myself. The stone was found on eternitybyyoni. I know he is somehow involved with this site. I contacted him via email and he said that it is a good stone and didn't mention anything about it being a problem setting it. Thank you for the help once again. My search continues

_29698.jpg

Blondekid

Rough_Rock

andleech|1430264963|3869303 said:
I like to share this link for people interested in princess cuts: https://idealcutprincess.wordpress.com/2015/03/22/101/

Here is an AGS Ideal at Whiteflash with similar proportions to the stone you were considering: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3379151.htm
This is another stone that caught my attention.
Shape Princess
Carat Weight 1.5
Color I
Clarity VS2
Lab Report GIA
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
AGS Light Performance Ideal
Fluorescence None
In House No
Measurement 6.09x6.18x4.57
Table % 63.5
Depth % 75

And thank you for the link.

_29699.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Really and truly, you cannot choose a diamond by numbers on a piece of paper alone. You have to have pictures and preferably an ASET Image. Vendors who provide those on their site are Whiteflash and Good Old Gold (in-house stones) and James Allen may provide up to three images if the stones are in NY (or something like that).

I really recommend AGS Ideal cut princess cuts as they are much better cut than most of the princess cuts out there. I see the latest stone you posted is AGS Ideal cut, so you are on the right track now!

Blondekid

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1430276697|3869443 said:
Really and truly, you cannot choose a diamond by numbers on a piece of paper alone. You have to have pictures and preferably an ASET Image. Vendors who provide those on their site are Whiteflash and Good Old Gold (in-house stones) and James Allen may provide up to three images if the stones are in NY (or something like that).

I really recommend AGS Ideal cut princess cuts as they are much better cut than most of the princess cuts out there. I see the latest stone you posted is AGS Ideal cut, so you are on the right track now!
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Are you saying I should be looking at AGS Ideal cut stones rather than stones that come with a GIA rating due to GIA not giving any detail as to the cut? I was looking at white flash and good old gold online and I really like how they have the pictures of the stones. Makes what you are looking at a lot easier. With the ASET image is there something that I need to look at specifically? I thought I did my research but this post has opened my eyes up and is telling me I have lots to learn. I'm hoping to propose before June. Once again thank you for the response.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results