shape
carat
color
clarity

Jadeite: to sell or not to sell...

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
How do you decide if it's time to let something go? I have had a very hard couple of years and have a chance to sell one of my jadeite pieces to a VERY reputable firm. The trouble is... I'll never find another like this. At what point do you decide to let go of something worth more to you than money...? Life can be difficult, but I am aware that clinging to possessions does not lead to happiness. Advice?

_29288.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I love him : (

_29289.jpg

_29290.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh... The use of color, the detail... His eyes actually glow. And that emerald green coin by his head is sooooo amazing.

_29291.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
And the little bat : (

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Seems to me like you've answered your own question - he's worth more to you than the money.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you're words of appreciation for this piece tells me you should keep it.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1429635117|3865353 said:
you're words of appreciation for this piece tells me you should keep it.

This ^

What a wonderful piece. I think you should keep it if you can.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you have to ask yourself, "Can I get another one very much like it in quality, especially for what I paid?"

Very lovely carving

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it presently displayed prominently in your home or in a place where you look/touch it every day?

If yes, then it may such an important part of your everyday life that perhaps you shouldn't sell it.

If you sold it, would it be enough that this piece had once been yours and that you loved it while you owned it?

If no, if you'd try to find another like it, then perhaps you shouldn't sell it.

Would the money it brought you be of enough significance such that the sale of a unique and beloved piece would be worthwhile ... to me, that might translate to a looming debt being seriously reduced/eliminated, or daily needs/obligations for the foreseeable future would be covered/improved.

If yes, then perhaps you should sell it, and make sure you take enough photos and videos of it prior to sale so you can always recall its beauty.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you sell it you will hurt. If you keep it you may feel guilty. Sorry that there is no easy choice. I hate to feel guilty so if I needed to sell, I would sell. It is a gorgeous piece.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell and not look back. Once I start thinking about selling a piece, I imagine it living elsewhere. Pretty soon, I don't really feel that it is mine, but a piece of wonderful that must keep moving through the world. And once its gone, it lives on in my mind and in photos.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1429684337|3865699 said:
I would sell and not look back. Once I start thinking about selling a piece, I imagine it living elsewhere. Pretty soon, I don't really feel that it is mine, but a piece of wonderful that must keep moving through the world. And once its gone, it lives on in my mind and in photos.

I would take some great photos and let it move on.

I know what you mean about a gem having that glow. We analyze photos on PS here always looking for perfect cut and "vivid" color. The thing is, this doesn't capture if a gem is alive. Jade can have a glow that is captivating.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to send it to them for an offer. If I don't like the offer, they will send it back.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Yesterday, when I read your post, i felt very bad for you. I wondered if you were down to your last resources and had to sell you lovely piece to pay the rent or eat, and I was thinking of recommending a second job, or third, in order for you to keep your piece. Life can be tough. But, today, I read you are contemplating buying an apple watch- an expensive one by the sound of it. So, my advise is to keep your jade piece and forget the Apple Watch. I was glad to read you would not be among the destitute. NO Apple Watch! :)

Annette

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
soberguy -This will give you the opportunity to gauge your feeling once the jadeite piece is no longer in your possession. You'll be able to see how much you miss not having it even if it's only for a few days. When they come back with an offer you'll be either be really excited, feel relief or feel really sad. If you get "wow, am I ever glad they didn't offer me more" and feel immense relief than you'll know. If they offer you a really good price and you feel as if you've been kicked in the gut than you may have your answer. I know absolutely nothing about jadeite but it looks lovely. Only you know how much it's worth to you, which may be beyond monetary.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
no Apple watch yet lol!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results