shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited Aquamarine (?)

kmags42

Rough_Rock
I recently inherited a ring from my Grandmother. My Mom had told me that was it was an aquamarine. I took it so my jeweler and had it placed in an updated white gold setting and I LOVE wearing it now. However, the jeweler mentioned that he thought the color looked more like blue topaz. He just based this on the coloring since they don't really deal with colored stones.

Well curiosity has gotten the best of me now! I picked up a cheap diamond tester from amazon after reading that blue topaz would register because of its thermal conductivity and aqua would not. The stone does not register (though my actual diamond regsiters so I assume the tester works). Should I assume that it is in fact aqua then?

Here is a before and after picture. The ring was probably 50+ years old and was so dirty that the stone looked cloudy. I'm so pleased with how well it cleaned up.
image3_2.jpg

And here it is compared to my 1 ct engagement ring for size reference, definitely a lot bigger.
image1_7.jpg

image2_2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, all you have are guesses. The diamond tester is not a definitive test. It is best to get the RI reading.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1429905358|3867284 said:
At this point, all you have are guesses. The diamond tester is not a definitive test. It is best to get the RI reading.

Agreed. Aquamarine can be that color, but it is more common of topaz. Ultimately though you won't know until you have the RI checked. See if you have a certified gemologist local to you, as they would have the equipment to do this.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Based solely on digital images, my first thought is Swiss blue topaz... but there is always a possibility it could be synthetic.
For sentimental pieces, I think it is sometimes better not to know.
Unless identifying it is very important to you, (in which case you should go to a professional) why not just enjoy it as something beautiful from your grandma? =)

kmags42

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info on the reliability of the diamond tester. I wasn't sure how definitive that tool would be in this case, apparently not much at all! But I do suspect I will still get use of it while sorting through jewelry.

I had reached out to a local gemologist who will do a verbal ID for $75 or written for $125. Having just reset the ring I'll wait a bit to see if I'm still so curious that I'm willing to spend more on it. I love the ring either way I'm just finding the mystery of it fascinating and annoying, especially when someone asks me what it is and I don't know how to answer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also be synthetic spinel, which was a common aqua simulant back then.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
kmags42|1429913404|3867342 said:
Thanks for the info on the reliability of the diamond tester. I wasn't sure how definitive that tool would be in this case, apparently not much at all! But I do suspect I will still get use of it while sorting through jewelry.

I had reached out to a local gemologist who will do a verbal ID for $75 or written for $125. Having just reset the ring I'll wait a bit to see if I'm still so curious that I'm willing to spend more on it. I love the ring either way I'm just finding the mystery of it fascinating and annoying, especially when someone asks me what it is and I don't know how to answer.

Geez $75 seems pretty steep for someone to just throw it on a refractometer and maybe do a polariscope.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourma-guy|1429924832|3867406 said:
kmags42|1429913404|3867342 said:

Geez $75 seems pretty steep for someone to just throw it on a refractometer and maybe do a polariscope.

Yes, if you decide to do this and don't mind sending out, I would recommend a Gem Brief from AGL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results