shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET/idealscope images, is this one good?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1428986103|3861560 said:
Diamond_Hawk|1428981437|3861547 said:
To piggy-back on the fantastic link Garry has posted - this is an example of detecting painting/digging (indexing variations - these are quite obvious) when using the ASET.
I disagree DH, an normal photo like the one at the top of thread, or an Ideal-scope image are safer because there are several proportion sets that make the upper girdle facet edges go green for totally different reasons.
Its another good reason not to demand or use ASET for rounds.
Hi Garry,
Crown-only painting seems easier to spot with Ideal Scope. But crown-only digging seems easier to spot in ASET. I have been looking at VPA's on a few of our stones that are showing green on the perimeter and VPA is showing slight digging out. IS images look perfect. Does that agree with your observations?

LaSuecia

Rough_Rock
Now I have another diamond in mind. But all I could get was the aset.
The hca is 0.9
To me ut looks sort of ok, but isnt the aset supposed to hVe more green in center? wht do you think?

_29107.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1429040586|3861826 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1428986103|3861560 said:
Diamond_Hawk|1428981437|3861547 said:
To piggy-back on the fantastic link Garry has posted - this is an example of detecting painting/digging (indexing variations - these are quite obvious) when using the ASET.
I disagree DH, an normal photo like the one at the top of thread, or an Ideal-scope image are safer because there are several proportion sets that make the upper girdle facet edges go green for totally different reasons.
Its another good reason not to demand or use ASET for rounds.
Hi Garry,
Crown-only painting seems easier to spot with Ideal Scope. But crown-only digging seems easier to spot in ASET. I have been looking at VPA's on a few of our stones that are showing green on the perimeter and VPA is showing slight digging out. IS images look perfect. Does that agree with your observations?
yes Bryan, you are correct, but just a quick play with DiamCalc does not show a simple catch all with pavilion side digging.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LaSuecia|1429126121|3862431 said:
The hca is 0.9
To me ut looks sort of ok, but isnt the aset supposed to hVe more green in center? wht do you think?
Green or red in the center means nothing.
At 40.6 degrees all will be green. At 41 degrees all will be red

LaSuecia

Rough_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1429128016|3862452 said:
The hca is 0.9
Green or red in the center means nothing.
At 40.6 degrees all will be green. At 41 degrees all will be red

Ok thank you so much

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Not positive, but I think in the Clarity description may read something like 'clarity partially based on clouds not shown.' (tough to see with cut-off detail)

If this is the case, and the stone is a VS2 or lower, please speak with whoever holds the stone to determine if the clouds are affecting performance. I generally avoid stones with this note, but that is personal preference.

Sometimes this can be tough to detect, but can have a negative effect on your long term enjoyment of the stone. An experienced vendor should be able to check out this detail.

Just don't want you to be surprised with your choice!

LaSuecia

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1429129007|3862466 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Not positive, but I think in the Clarity description may read something like 'clarity partially based on clouds not shown.' (tough to see with cut-off detail)

If this is the case, and the stone is a VS2 or lower, please speak with whoever holds the stone to determine if the clouds are affecting performance. I generally avoid stones with this note, but that is personal preference.

Sometimes this can be tough to detect, but can have a negative effect on your long term enjoyment of the stone. An experienced vendor should be able to check out this detail.

Its a james allen,
And it says exactly that!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.59-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-328443
You think its ok?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
LaSuecia|1429129125|3862469 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.59-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-328443
You think its ok?

I would just specifically bring that concern up with whoever you speak with (preferably a gemologist).

Before considering, I would need to know that the 'clouds not shown' do not affect performance.

LaSuecia

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1429130007|3862479 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

You think its ok?

I would just specifically bring that concern up with whoever you speak with (preferably a gemologist).

Before considering, I would need to know that the 'clouds not shown' do not affect performance.

Ok, thankyou, will bring it up before deciding on it:)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The hca is 0.9
Like Garry says, it is really of no consequence. Light returned from that area is being drawn from essentially the same place on the horizon (illustration below might help). The fact that this area can be composed of both red and some green is indicative of very slight variations in the pavilion angles. The aset light map you have posted is a computer generated image from a scan of the actual diamond. Contrast this with the information on a GIA report which only provides a pavilion angle that is the average of all eight pavilion mains rounded to .2 degrees.

aset-table-facet-reflection.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

You think its ok?

Given the grade maker is a single crystal, it is very unlikely the clouds will be an issue. Clouds not plotted are usually simply because they look scary, but if they are an issue, of they are the grade maker, they are shown.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1429139988|3862536 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

You think its ok?

Given the grade maker is a single crystal, it is very unlikely the clouds will be an issue. Clouds not plotted are usually simply because they look scary, but if they are an issue, of they are the grade maker, they are shown.

Garry -

They are part of the grade-maker on this stone: "clarity partially based on clouds not shown"

I have seen stones with the 'clarity based on clouds not shown' that exhibit obvious performance issues, and none of these would be plotted.

If the note was 'additional clouds not shown,' it would be no issue, but with it being (at least partially) the grade-setting inclusion, it is important to ensure no issues, prior to purchase.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
RockyRacoon|1429140844|3862542 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

You think its ok?

Garry -

They are part of the grade-maker on this stone: "clarity partially based on clouds not shown"

I have seen stones with the 'clarity based on clouds not shown' that exhibit obvious performance issues, and none of these would be plotted.

If the note was 'additional clouds not shown,' it would be no issue, but with it being (at least partially) the grade-setting inclusion, it is important to ensure no issues, prior to purchase.
Given the size of the crystal inclusion in the plot, it looks larger than a VS1. Clouds were not mentioned in the main comments list, so that is why I made the call I did.If Cloud was listed under crystal, and it was SI1, then yes - I would agree Rocky :)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1429145369|3862572 said:
RockyRacoon|1429140844|3862542 said:
The hca is 0.9

Just a point of note -

Its a james allen,

You think its ok?

Garry -

Given the size of the crystal inclusion in the plot, it looks larger than a VS1. Clouds were not mentioned in the main comments list, so that is why I made the call I did.If Cloud was listed under crystal, and it was SI1, then yes - I would agree Rocky :)

I get your point there, Garry.

I will defer to you, as you have certainly seen more stones than I. I was hesitant to point it out in a VS2 stone, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I get your point there, Garry.

I will defer to you, as you have certainly seen more stones than I. I was hesitant to point it out in a VS2 stone, but I figured better safe than sorry.[/quote]
Its a grey and vague area that I am very unhappy about. I am lecturing saturday to the NCJV australian appraisers (valuers) on how grading reports are full of such vague and misleading terms.
Lab's spout consumer confidence, but seem to feel they are unable to provide real and transparent info. There are about a dozen topics that I believe they could work to changing without devaluing previously graded stones and add value to stones.
e.g. most fluoro diamonds would raise in value.
Badly cut lower color stones should get dinged and better cut stones that face up better than their pavilion grade would earn a benefit
and on and on.

In this case I am only applying what I know about GIA grades as I rarely see AGS stones down under. I am 99% confident my advice is accurate in this case.

LaSuecia

Rough_Rock
Wow, you people are so fullof knowledge! Iam so greatful you are willing to answer my questions, And share your knowledge on pricescope. If I hadn't found thise site I would probably be sitting wtih a really crappy cut diamond :)

I do have one more question though, the girdle is concidered thin on this diamond, will that be a problem?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results