shape
carat
color
clarity

just a minor gripe

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love James Allen, I find their business model really helpful in both shopping and learning the "look" of different diamonds.

But i have one gripe that i just wanted to get out there. They charge more for different alloys. For example, their basic bare bones super cheap $180 setting that everybody knows- in rose gold, its $530 dollars!

I have purchased that setting and i paid 180 for it in yellow gold (now that will cost you $440) and it was ok. I say ok because for the price, it did its job, but in no way is it worth $530 dollars. Its thin, its basic, it has a cheap peg head with somewhat bulky prongs.

this is the most obvious difference, but its seen in many of their settings. You dont want white gold? well pay more then. Im sure it has something to do with buying in bulk or whatever, but you dont see these obvious price differences at other stores, and it means people who dont want other metals are SOL

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

thats all, rant over.....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might also be the cost of the metal at the time, as well. The time you're buying it and the time they bought it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1427396662|3852802 said:
It might also be the cost of the metal at the time, as well. The time you're buying it and the time they bought it.

then why would the 14k white still be 180?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel|1427396813|3852804 said:

I pinged Jim for an official answer but my guess is the 14k white is a mass produced shank with a stock peg head added where the other colors are custom or semi custom made to order.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1427397450|3852810 said:
Niel|1427396813|3852804 said:

I pinged Jim for an official answer but my guess is the 14k white is a mass produced shank with a stock peg head added where the other colors are custom or semi custom made to order.
see that was my thought.. then you see settings like this with, i would imagine, the same basic principle, without price differnces.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-rose-gold-cable-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-9316

and thanks, Im sure Jim has a good reason and it will make total sense when he posts it, its just a friend with a very tight budget had plans to buy from James allen, they had their 6 prong peg head listed at 180 until maybe a month ago, then now that hes ready to make a purchase he would have to come up with a few hundred just to get a basic soli look. I know i know though, :boohoo: :boohoo: lol

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi folks,

I got the message from Karl, so here I am!

As to pricing, there was an error. If you check now, you'll see prices are more inline with what you would expect.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks for taking your time to look into it. Just another reason to say i love your store. :clap: :clap:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Jim, your welcome.
fyi if you put JA in the title Jim will usually find them himself.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as we have JA's attention...

I really like that new feature of being able to see a setting as made up with various sized stones. I realize it's only an option for settings that have already sold, but... where it's available, it's very helpful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1427405667|3852876 said:
As long as we have JA's attention...

I really like that new feature of being able to see a setting as made up with various sized stones. I realize it's only an option for settings that have already sold, but... where it's available, it's very helpful!

I love this too...gives people a good idea how their stone might look when set. Especially helpful when someone has a smaller stone
and doesnt want an overwhelming setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results