clarity

Picking sidestones for red spinel

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425601446|3842519 said:
Yes, it it is! The spinel is still featured in my avatar, as the middle stone.

Got you. May I enquire what type of stone is the beauty to its left in the photo please as it is lovely too?

Also, sorry, however, I am not keen on the look of the step cut traps with the spinel, and prefer the ones in the second pic, and the look of the inspiration ring with the ? pad sapphire.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The stone on the left is also a spinel, but it is from Sri Lanka. I am saving that one, and another lavender/pink spinel for my daughter. one day I'll get her a custom pendant/ring. She's five now though, so I'll have to wait a while.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425645714|3842720 said:
The stone on the left is also a spinel, but it is from Sri Lanka. I am saving that one, and another lavender/pink spinel for my daughter. one day I'll get her a custom pendant/ring. She's five now though, so I'll have to wait a while.

Lucky you! I shall never experience the joy/hell of motherhood, that phase has never turned up for me, probably because I got put off by it all when I babysat a family friend's first born when he was only 2 weeks old (he will be 32 this year).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Kids are easier between the ages of 3 to 10. My older is 5 and is very independent and intelligent. My almost 2 year old...very cute but times are certainly interesting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one who likes the oval with the step cut traps with the oval?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am concerned that the traps are too angular when next to the oval. My preference is the smaller 0.37 cttw half moons for a 5 stone, and the larger 0.46 cttw half moons for a 3 stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425610794|3842599 said:
I am wowed. David just sent me a picture of step cut traps, and little tapered baguettes for a 5-stone. I am almost speechless about the traps. He is going to look for smaller baguettes.

I love step cut traps!!! Some of you may remember that I originally wanted a deco feel to this ring, and the step cut traps do that.

Gosh, these beautiful diamonds, and the gem box make my poor little spinel look so dark and crappy! Hahaha.

I love this look!!!! :appl:
Ah, what a fun project.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1425653693|3842773 said:
I am concerned that the traps are too angular when next to the oval. My preference is the smaller 0.37 cttw half moons for a 5 stone, and the larger 0.46 cttw half moons for a 3 stone.
Chrono, I think you and the other PSers are right. I am purchasing the stepcut traps to set with my jadeite cabochon, for a full-on Art Deco effect. I will hold out for VS stepcut or brilliant half moons for the red spinel.

Acinom, I think you and I are the only ones who like the step cut traps for the oval. I can't figure out, however, if I love the step cut traps so much that I can't see that they don't with the red spinel? Well, I will buy them anyway for something else.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong; I love the traps very much. It's just that they seem to clash with the softness of the spinel in my eyes.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425654968|3842789 said:
Chrono|1425653693|3842773 said:
Chrono, I think you and the other PSers are right. I am purchasing the stepcut traps to set with my jadeite cabochon, for a full-on Art Deco effect. I will hold out for VS stepcut or brilliant half moons for the red spinel.

Acinom, I think you and I are the only ones who like the step cut traps for the oval. I can't figure out, however, if I love the step cut traps so much that I can't see that they don't with the red spinel? Well, I will buy them anyway for something else.

Indeed. You, me and David Klass seem to love the look. I just looked again and loved it even more. It just seems right. I love love love the art deco feel of the step cuts in combination with the powerful color and soft and feminine lines of your stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can imagine the step cut traps will look gorgeous with a jade cabochon, pics of jade with the traps and baguettes, pretty please?

DK :bigsmile:

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to vote for the .37 and the traps for another fabulous project.

Gemajames

Shiny_Rock
Preg, I love the step traps so you and Acinom are not alone :love: :love: :love: You should select what makes you happy though :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had something meaningful to contribute here other than I'm sure that whatever you decide upon will be lovely. There is something so soft in the shape of the spinel that I too agree that it would look elegant with the smaller set of half moons. If you do decide to use the traps, then a five stone would be best, as long as it is a gradual taper to the baguettes.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK, swissmiss, Gema, minous, Chrono, and Acinom. I bought the 0.47 step cut traps to set with this 11.6 x 7.9 mm untreated jadeite. I don't have a picture of the 2 together because the jadeite is with me and the traps are in LA. I am not as concerned about the exact proportions with the jadeite because I have wanted small side stones to go with the jadeite, and I am okay with using metal to fill in any spaces to help the stones work together. (The price on the step traps were too good to pass up, and mommy is on a budget.)

I am planning on putting a milgrain bezel around the traps to emphasize their shape, kind of like this ring that I previously posted.

I was inspired by this ring

ovaljadeite_img_0648_sm.jpg

lm_r4151.jpg

lang_jade_platinum_and_diamond_ring__1_of_6_.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jadeite and traps will be such an elegant art deco combination. Great choice!!!

How will you set your lovely spinel or will you decide about the setting at a later stage?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For the spinel, I will most likely go with something similar to the half moons (0.46 carat total). I am waiting for ones that are VS because the ones I posted are SI.

The red spinel and jadeite are my favorite stones.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425746194|3843353 said:
For the spinel, I will most likely go with something similar to the half moons (0.46 carat total). I am waiting for ones that are VS because the ones I posted are SI.

The red spinel and jadeite are my favorite stones.

I am so excited for you :appl: . You will add 2 beautiful rings to your collection. Will DK create both?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Acinom. Yes, I'm going with DK for both. I like his style, he has a good track record on PS, and his communication is very good so far.

Some of the old timers know that I've never set any of my CS before because I was busy collecting them (i.e. blowing my budget on new stones). Now I'm done collecting and it's setting time. I've also getting to the point where I am tired of having stuff in boxes, not worn.

After this, I'm buying some practical jewelry to wear to the office, like pearls.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see both the spinel and jadeite as finished rings, thanks for posting the jadeite and I believe the step cut traps will not great with it. :love:

Jadeite does not agree with me (they lose their colour over time), so I have to ogle at others' collection.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK. I am thinking of selling most of my other stones to fund more settings. :shifty: Did I say that? :liar: :angel:

Gemajames

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1425778397|3843569 said:
Thanks, DK. I am thinking of selling most of my other stones to fund more settings. :shifty: Did I say that? :liar: :angel:

I'm calling dibs :naughty: I know David will do right by you on both rings. You are in excellent hands. And I think both of your choices are awesome too!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425778397|3843569 said:

IMHO, you have good eyes for CSs, and your collection is amazing.

However, as my dear mum would say, why buy some many jewellery when I can only wear so much at any one time?! Yeah right, needless to say, I ignore her as per usual! :roll: :lol:

If the stones are just sitting in a box unloved, then I would get rid of the ones that are surplus to requirement, while keeping some for yourself, your daughter and ? future DIL (nothing wrong with planning ahead).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh just seeing this thread and I love the choices you made. So excited for you to have these 2 beautiful rings made by David Klass. They are going to be GORGEOUS!!! :love: And happy you are going to be able to wear some of your amazing colored stone collection. You have the most beautiful CS collection! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425747147|3843358 said:
Thanks, Acinom. Yes, I'm going with DK for both. I like his style, he has a good track record on PS, and his communication is very good so far.

Some of the old timers know that I've never set any of my CS before because I was busy collecting them (i.e. blowing my budget on new stones). Now I'm done collecting and it's setting time. I've also getting to the point where I am tired of having stuff in boxes, not worn.

After this, I'm buying some practical jewelry to wear to the office, like pearls.

Ah, I did not realise you never or seldom set your stones! Personally I love it when gems can be worn instead of sitting in a box. I agree with DK though: do save some stones for future settings. Would be such a pity to sell them all. You have a stunning collection.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am going to list my smaller stones, or any duplicates that I have. Thanks, Gema, DK, missy, and Acinom.

You're right that I should save some for the future. I've been meticulous about collecting, and returning immediately when I did not like something. I also like to keep things like chrysoberyl just to show people what one looks like. They're pretty and not available at local stores.

I also have a lot of the same shapes (cushion, round, oval). I never ended up getting any step cuts. I will have to edit my collection and maybe buy an emerald cut and asscher?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1425820260|3843763 said:
I also have a lot of the same shapes (cushion, round, oval). I never ended up getting any step cuts. I will have to edit my collection and maybe buy an emerald cut and asscher?

I would not go out of my way to get a CS in a particular shape just to tick a box and to say I have one in every colour and shape etc...

The cut, colour and shape all have to appeal to me as one package.

However, if you are looking for a precision step cut in future, then I would strongly recommend Jeff White. Check out the pics on his site, and a number of PSers have step cuts from him.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1425610867|3842601 said:
Thanks, ElleW. It's good to see you :D What does TGP stand for?
The Gemstone Project. :))

Love the traps! If you don't keep them for the spinel (I like them with the spinel too!) get them for another stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results