shape
carat
color
clarity

Need bamboo flooring recommendations!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with gypsy. And if they are doing the installation, they will order the amount of wood or flooring they need to install, confirming it with you. If you are installing it yourself, I would up the amount; usually order at least 10% more to allow for cutting and waste, more if your rooms are unusually sized or you will oriented in a non-standard way. Sometimes different lots have slightly different tones so it's good to order all the amount you need in 1 go.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean,

If you are installing yourself I would be sure to order extra for the simple reason if you run short the dye lots may be slightly different. Nothing would be worse then not having enough, order more and have the color be noticeably off. I don't know if this is common with flooring, but know it can happen with fabric and wallpaper.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my situation:

I have 3 quotes. 2 are for labor only. The 3rd one I can't even consider - the labor quote is over 2x and the material quote is over 2x.

One guy who DIDN'T quote mentioned that yeah warranties are great but not realistic because they find reasons to void it - oh you installed it a certain way and not as instructed. I take what he says with a grain of salt though because he was a no-bid and a pisser. Why would you be installing it in a way that was atypical and not as instructed, sir?

Dye lots - the good thing is that this color shows variations. BUT that doesn't guarantee that the taupe shade won't vary from lot to lot, right?

One online vendor that came up when I conducted a random google search was "unbeatable flooring". From their calculator it looks like I would need 43 units. Unbeatable flooring indicated they had 41 and the other 2 (balance) would come straight from Armstrong. They ship by truck, and if a parcel is damaged, you work it on the bill of lading. Since they are out of state, no tax in price. He knocked it down 20 cents off what was listed on their website.

I tried searching "unbeatable flooring" but was getting moreso reviews on flooring that included the word "unbeatable".

Right now, I think that what I will do is call Armstrong. I am a bit alarmed based on the recent news about lumber liquidators, so I feel that I at least owe it to my furbabies (and a little to my hubby) to ask some questions about manufacturing, if there is a data sheet about the standards they adhere to with regard to toxicity and processing, etc. I will also see if I can find out if unbeatable flooring is an authorized reseller.

Thank you Gypsy, part gypsy, and callicake for chiming in.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should take into consideration. My head's been kinda fogged up - business trip from hell :angryfire:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1425588381|3842393 said:
One guy who DIDN'T quote mentioned that yeah warranties are great but not realistic because they find reasons to void it - oh you installed it a certain way and not as instructed.

This worries me. GREATLY.

This is exactly what I would want to avoid.

I would get in writing that ANYONE who does the install has read and knows what the manufacturers requirements are for installation. That you provided them with all the information needed for them to know those requirements. And that they will conform to those specifications exactly. And that if there is any deviation from the manufacturers requirements, they are solely liable for that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wise Gypsy,

Thank you! That's definitely verbiage I need in my contracts whether the tradesperson is painting or rewiring electric.

New development. We heard back from one local vendor that has a presence in the area... Long Island paneling, flooring and ceilings. They are quoting about $1 more per sq ft than unbeatable flooring, plus tax. They will examine the flooring prior to delivering to our new home. Cool... Now the kicker... No returns. :-o :errrr: :wall: Are you kidding me?

I checked online... Unbeatable flooring has a 30 day return policy unopened boxes, restocking fee 15% -25% IIRC. I still haven't had a chance to verify this vendor with Armstrong... The one day I called during armstrongs operating hours they had shut down due to weather... I did get unbeatable flooring on the phone and asked them if they were an authorized reseller. They said yes. Them I followed with, well why can't I find you on the armstrong website when I plug in your zip? didnt really get a clear response.. Something about preference for certain stores...

I'm hoping to call a couple more flooring stores this week.

Diamonds are a piece of cake next to remodeling and hardwood shopping!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a total and complete pain in the neck. Trust your gut and your good judgement. Wish I could help more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results