shape
carat
color
clarity

Missing Jewelry - Lost or Stolen??? Advice Please

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
So, tonight I put my daughter to bed and then while I was in her room in the rocking chair, I thought I saw a flash and she asked me what the sound was. She is very observant. I thought I imagined seeing something moving in the hallway outside her room, and I didn't think much of it. Until I could not find my wedding band, ering, and rhr plus 1 of my 2 diamond huggies when I was getting ready for bed a couple hours later. I scoured the house for 2 hours - even looked through the vacuum canister. Emptied my laundry hamper - went through pockets on jeans I wore today and yesterday. I found 1 earring on my coffee table which I must have left there last night. I usually watch tv at night, and sometimes take my jewelry off and then bring it up to my top drawer of my dresser at night. So, when I found the 1 earring and nothing else on the coffee table in the family room, I got suspcious. And, then, I looked upstairs and my watch was upstairs in the usual place. I work from home and did not leave the house today, but last night I went to dinner with a friend, and I know I put all my jewelry on. So, it has been missing since last night when I got home around 930pm. I don't remember what I did at bedtime last night other than put my daughter to bed, watch tv, and then go to bed myself. My husband is out of town. So, then I remembered the flash I saw in the hallway, and the sound my daughter heard and thought maybe someone stole the rings and earring. So, since I am alone with my 2 year old, I got scared to go anywhere else in the house, and I called my husband. This was around 130am. He said to call 911 as I didn't have anything to hit anyone with if they were still in the house. I called 911 and they came looked around the whole house and said no one was here and that the house looked secure. I think they think I lost them or my daughter hid them. So, I don't know - maybe it's here some place? We have a nanny who has worked for us for 2 years who was here today all day. I will ask her in the morning if she saw any jewelry as she would have been in the family room where the 1 earring was found today. She doesn't have a key to our house, but she drives our car twice a week to take our daughter to pre-school so I guess she could have made a copy and had someone break in. But, it just seems so unlikely that someone would do this while we were in the house and she has worked for us for 2 years without any issues. What do you all think? I cleaned out all my drawers in my side table and dresser in the bedrrom. Looked under the bed and dresser with a flash light. I took all the cushions off the couch and looked under it and took everything off the coffee table. The police also took our nanny's name and cell phone. I don't want to accuse her. We also have people who come to clean the house once a month, but they don't have a key, and all the doors were locked and the windows are all locked too. It's making me paranoid that I cannot find these, and I cannot imagine replacing them. My ering and wedding band were made by Leon and the stone is an AVC from GOG. The police were shocked at the price of my ering...I was almost embarassed. The thing is there is other jewelry that was not stolen in the drawer where I normally keep my jewelry like my watch and another pair of small hoops. I know the rings are more valuable though. Does anyone have a 6th sense on this? My daughter doesn't play with my jewelry so I doubt she did anything with them. I cannot sleep as I'm just wound up. I am not scared that someone is here now that the police have looked all over the house. My husband is going to drive home in the morning - he's 5 hours away on a work trip and we are getting a huge snow storm all day tomorrow. What should I do next?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry that you are going through this and had a scare! I would look at places in your house where you may have taken off your jewelry (bathroom, any ring dishes around the house, ect) and see if it's in the general vicinity. Often times they can be knocked off of these places and fall into crevices not normally viewable. Also, shake all the clothing out in laundry hampers or bedding/blankets in the area.. do you have a cat? Sometimes cats will hide jewelry too.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Resonance, thank you for replying. We don't have a cat. The two most likely places are our family room where I watch tv at night and our bedroom. I have really looked hard in both places. I will look again tomorrow. I did take all my laundry out and shake it. I really hope they are here somewhere. I don't usually take them off in the bathroom or kitchen, and I only have one ring/jewelry dish in my dresser where I normally keep them.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked in the couch cushions, under the couch, ect? Under the rug? You'd be surprised where these things end up.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
I took all the couch cushions off. I moved the cofee table and looked under it. The police also looked under the couch and under a club chair/ottoman we also have in the family room. I will keep looking tomorrow. Thanks again for any advice.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry! This is my biggest fear... I hope you find it all soon!

I would ask the Nanny to help you look, Is it possible your daughter may have picked it up and it is in her toys?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I am so sorry! I hope you find your jewelry soon! I cannot imagine someone would break in with you and your daughter in the house yanno? Seems too risky. But I guess it is possible. The explanation that makes the most sense it when you took your jewelry off the night before you put it somewhere you forgot. Sometimes I (being the absent minded person I can be at times) put things away in weird places because I get distracted. Case in point I once put my sunglasses away in the fridge. I kid you not. So, deep breath and hopefully your dh can help you scour the house looking for them. Hoping you find them and sending good luck dust your way!

And definitely question the nanny. I hate to say this but you just never know. :blackeye:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have a nanny also, and I think that nothing good will come out of questioning her as she could just deny knowing anything if she does. I also feel she would not steal from me as she as been working with us for 4 years.

Is your ring insured?

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelry found. I asked my daughter when she woke up this morning if she knew where mommy's jewelry was - she said downstairs and led me to one of her toys - an activity center table and lo and behold - there were my rings and missing earring! Sorry for troubling you all. I was so scared last night. Thanks for your good thoughts.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yay! So glad it was found!!!!!!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JGator - I'm glad everything turned out ok! I wish I read your last post before the first ones -- scary! Time to put those diamonds on a high shelf. ;))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad they were found!!!! I was having a bit of a panic attack just reading what you wrote. Whew. So happy for you!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you found it! That made for a scary night, I'm glad its over.

I frequently took my jewelry off all around the house and then would have trouble finding it the next day. I bought a Waterford crystal ring holder and several pretty dishes and I changed my routine to only putting jewelry taken off on the ring holder and in the dish. It saves me a lot of racing around the house wondering if I threw my wedding ring away in a big cluster of paper towels, etc.

Side note, *you* didn't accuse your nanny of anything but if the police contacted her, she will feel like *they* did. You might want to make that right with him/her.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you found your jewelry! How scary thinking someone could have been in your home while you and your daughter were in the house. As I was reading thru the thread my first thought was your daughter took it because my nieces were fascinated by my jewelry from the time they were your daughter's age. When you said she wasn't interested in your jewelry, I thought well that's not where it went then. When my niece was 2 1/2 years old We kept her entertained for an hour during a funeral service just by letti her playing with my diamond bracelet and rings. She still wants to wear my jewelry the second I walk in the door and she is 20 now. Looks like you have a little jewelry girl on your hands. We will be welcoming her to PriceScope in the future!

I had a friend throw her rings in the trash when she was cleaning up one night after dinner by mistake. If this ever happens again check your trash right away.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you found them. I was going to tell you to ask your daughter. I am much more careful with where I put my jewelry now that I have kids. Now it's in my closed jewelry box on a TALL dresser or in our safe. My daughter was about your daughters age when my ering and diamond studs went missing. After tearing apart the house, my friends of facebook told me to ask her. I did and she was adamant that they were in my jewelry box. I thought I had left them sitting on top of my jewelry box on a low dresser, and apparently I did. She used her step stool and decided to put them away for me in the bottom drawer of the jewelry box where I keep odds and ends and stuff I generally don't ever wear.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Whew!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JGator|1425560767|3842190 said:
Jewelry found. I asked my daughter when she woke up this morning if she knew where mommy's jewelry was - she said downstairs and led me to one of her toys - an activity center table and lo and behold - there were my rings and missing earring! Sorry for troubling you all. I was so scared last night. Thanks for your good thoughts.
:appl: :appl:

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I am so glad you found them. What a relief.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, this is a relief! I am sure every PSer reading this thread had their hearts drop at first. So glad you found your jewelry! :appl:

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
AZStonie, I am pretty absent minded sometimes about what I did with my jewelry. From now on, I will only take it off in our bedroom and put it right away. I called the primary policeman as soon as I found the jewelry, and I told the nanny the whole story when she arrived yesterday so it doesn't look like the police contacted her. She thought it was prettty funny that our daughter was the jewel thief. Also, the police were pretty skeptical that there was an intruder because the doors/windows were secure - they thought I misplaced them.

Callie, yes, it was very scary. I think if my husband was home, I would not have resorted to 911, but he didn't want me walking around the house to check it out if there was an intruder in it. And, I was terrified - a heavy level of adrenaline was buzzing about! So, now I know my daughter likes jewelry. She did ask me to paint her finger nails and toes after seeing me last weekend after a mani/pedi so I think she's gearing up for all things girly and she's not even 2 1/2 yet. I did check the trash and the vaccum cleaner canister! Fortunately, because of our snow storm and my husband being out of town, I didn't take the trash to the curb as usual for a Wednesday night. I looked for 2 hours before I thought there might be a burglar in the house!!!

luv2sparkle, sorrry for causing you a panic attack!

LV, yes, all diamonds are going up on high shelves/dressers from now on!!! We have a jewel thief!

Momhappy, I was so relieved...my blood pressure could finally get back to something more normal.

Ponder, how sweet of your daughter to put your jewelry away for you. K likes to be very organized aobut everything so I could see her doing that too.

DF, Resonance, Rena - thanks for stoping in for support! :wavey:

Missy, yes, I really don't even want to think much about the whole ordeal of replacing everything, plus the insecurity knowing someone broke into our house. Big relief.

AFM, I got some sleep in the morning after our nanny arrived as I was so exhausted and stressed from the night before. My husband drove home in the snow storm and got home around 1pm as he wanted to help find the jewelry or deal with the whole mess. He was relieved when I called to tell him our daughter was in charge of the debacle. I gave her tons of praise though for finding mommy's jewelry! I would like to get a dog or a security system as my husband travels alot. It would help with my sanity. My husband is afraid of dogs though as he grew up around some scary/wild ones that used to chase him. So, I think it may be a few years before our daughter starts asking for a doggy, and then I know he will cave at that point. So, maybe security system is a good next step for now.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, I'm glad!! A good nanny is hard to find :bigsmile:

(Sometimes the police are frightening, especially if you aren't expecting them, but I think its great that it never got to that point of investigating.)

That's funny, The Littlest Jewel Thief! PriceScope JR!

When I was 4 years old my mother had a hemorrhoidectomy. While she was laid up recuperating, I got bored so I took her jewelry box and distributed the contents amongst my buddies in the neighborhood. She had no idea until the calls starting coming in: Did you REALLY mean to give Suzie your pearls?

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
AZStonie, you were so generous with your mother's jewelry collection!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TO THIS DAY if ANYTHING comes up missing she calls me!!!! :lol:

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
My grandmother used to pray to St. Jude whenever anything was lost. I even tried that, but it didn't work for me!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe St. Jude DID help you find your jewelry! You found it, that's what counts.
(I've prayed to St. Jude myself, several times, I'm a chronic hider, who forgets where she puts things. My sparkles have always turned up, he just didn't sent me right to the spot, as I, and I expect, you, would have liked!)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, I'm very happy and relieved that you found everything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results