carat
color
clarity

cushion halo setting - custom work recommendation

vanny830

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,

i bought a 0.70 round stone from Brian Gavin and the stone is being cut. I originally selected the anita halo setting but don't think it is really the setting i want. Then i saw this mark broumand setting and it is very close to what i want. I want a delicate halo with smaller meelees instead of bigger ones like the one Brian Gavin Anita one.

Now I am thinking if i should get it set by Brian Gavin or Mark Broumand or someone else. I saw people talking about Victor Canera and requested a quote. it is $4090. I was thinking about Leon Mege before but he's extremely pricey and he is in new york. is there anyone you can recommend for this work or any personal experience from working with them or any other exceptional jeweler?? max budget for a platinum setting is $2500 thank you!!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/the-anita-halo-18k-white-gold-5950w18

http://www.markbroumand.com/4.13ct-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-3700-1d34107233/

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I would start with BGD to see what they could do to customize a setting style for you since they have the stones and a setting that you like, but want to modify.
First though I would think about what you like about each of the settings. The Anita has sort of a cathedral look, while the other one has the basket connected directly to the shank without any side pieces.
Also consider that what you are seeing in terms of melee may be a proportion issue more than a size issue. the stone in that MB setting is an absolute honker -- at 3.53 ct is probably 9.5+mm in diameter. That will make any melee look smaller!! Not sure the size of the stone in the BGD stock photo but I doubt it is that large. So the melee may well be around the same size.
I would at least talk to BGD about helping you get a better sense of what your actual stone would look like in the Anita before you decide if you want modifications. Supposedly the setting would be made just for your stone, so I would think they'd take the proportions into consideration and use appropriate melee sizes. That said, not sure how much smaller you could go -- it says the shank is 1.9mm at the top and I think thats around the minimum recommended with pave before you start to get into structural issues. I would think you'd want the halo pave to be around the same diameter as the shank pave, so while you might be able to use smaller melee you'd still need just as much metal, which might look odd.
Lots to think about and I'm sure those with more expertise in pave settings will chime in.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Start with BGD. If that doesn't work, try Brilliantly Engaged.

vanny830

Rough_Rock
Trade
ok before i talk to them again, could you help me figure out what might have contributed to the difference? they sent me a photo of the actual person wearing it (photo 1). it looks a bit harsh for me some reason. but the setting on photo 2 and 3 look softer and more balanced to me. center stone for photo 1 and 2 are about 1 ct, not sure about photo 3. so the staff from BGD told me that it is probably because the meelee diamonds around the center stone are closer but i am not sure if that is why. what are your thoughts?

photo_1116.jpg

photo_1117.jpg

photo_1118.jpg

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I always think that magnified images look harsh & are always more delicate IRL

another vote for Brilliantly Engaged from me

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vanny830

Rough_Rock
Trade
thanks, diamondseeker2006, #2 is just an image i found on the internet so won't go with them :) but i refuse to work with Ritani and that is why i went with Brian Gavin. Ritani's representative called me a "pain in the ass" after i emailed them several times seeking information on the setting... also i saw ritani's cushion in person, it is more square than i wanted

vanny830

Rough_Rock
Trade
puppyguts|1424490282|3835783 said:
I always think that magnified images look harsh & are always more delicate IRL

another vote for Brilliantly Engaged from me

thanks, yes their settings do look pretty. also what is IRL?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IRL= in real life

Another vote for Brilliantly Engaged

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vanny830|1424496610|3835805 said:
thanks, diamondseeker2006, #2 is just an image i found on the internet so won't go with them :) but i refuse to work with Ritani and that is why i went with Brian Gavin. Ritani's representative called me a "pain in the a$$" after i emailed them several times seeking information on the setting... also i saw ritani's cushion in person, it is more square than i wanted

Unbelievable!!! Well I don't blame you! That person needs to be FIRED! I think I'd send those emails to corporate headquarters. They are a designer brand and ought to be interested in customers who ask detailed questions!

I think I'd also go with Brilliantly Engaged. They have a track record of nice settings of this type when the person wants a step down in price from the VC/SK level.

vanny830

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1424539265|3835967 said:
vanny830|1424496610|3835805 said:
thanks, diamondseeker2006, #2 is just an image i found on the internet so won't go with them :) but i refuse to work with Ritani and that is why i went with Brian Gavin. Ritani's representative called me a "pain in the a$$" after i emailed them several times seeking information on the setting... also i saw ritani's cushion in person, it is more square than i wanted

Unbelievable!!! Well I don't blame you! That person needs to be FIRED! I think I'd send those emails to corporate headquarters. They are a designer brand and ought to be interested in customers who ask detailed questions!

I think I'd also go with Brilliantly Engaged. They have a track record of nice settings of this type when the person wants a step down in price from the VC/SK level.

I was up burning the midnight oil reading all the halo and customed work posts. I have a dilemma because I am extremely anal and am a perfectionist. I'm just not sure if I will be ok with the CAD work. I asked for a quote from VC and they quoted $4100 for the emilya setting on a .70 ct stone. Is that a reasonable price because the setting is almost as much as my stone . But VC is in LA so it might be easier for me? I don't know I feel kinda torn now :errrr:

toade

Rough_Rock
That's just what VC charges for his work. Up to you to decide whether it's reasonable. His work is amazing and easily demands those prices. You should stop by Harry Winston and try on their halos. They have all sorts of sizes, and you can expect similar quality from VC, which is to say gorgeous!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
from what i've seen, perfectionists and pave don't go well together, especially on a budget. i know that sounds harsh, but it just seems like there is so much disappointment when pave isn't perfect, and it is not an easy thing to get perfect from what I can tell. have you considered a solitaire? or maybe a plain-shank halo to rein in the costs?

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Vanny,
Brilliantly Engaged did my custom halo and they know how to do a delicate halo which is what you are looking for.
I would go with them as when I was pricing custom work, BE quoted less than Victor and Leon and their work is
Excellent!

Good Luck!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
vanny830|1424480602|3835698 said:
Hi,

i bought a 0.70 round stone from Brian Gavin and the stone is being cut. I originally selected the anita halo setting but don't think it is really the setting i want. Then i saw this mark broumand setting and it is very close to what i want. I want a delicate halo with smaller meelees instead of bigger ones like the one Brian Gavin Anita one.

Now I am thinking if i should get it set by Brian Gavin or Mark Broumand or someone else. I saw people talking about Victor Canera and requested a quote. it is $4090. I was thinking about Leon Mege before but he's extremely pricey and he is in new york. is there anyone you can recommend for this work or any personal experience from working with them or any other exceptional jeweler?? max budget for a platinum setting is $2500 thank you!!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/the-anita-halo-18k-white-gold-5950w18

http://www.markbroumand.com/4.13ct-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-3700-1d34107233/

OP
There are a lot of threads on this, you might want to search them.
VC and SK and LM will run you the highest price for the work.
From personal experience, I went with Chris at BE for the wife's halo, could not be happier.
Check out my thread if you want and also MomHappy's thread on the experience.
Best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results