shape
carat
color
clarity

New Custom-Cut Spessartites

amaranto

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone. This is my first post on PriceScope, and you’ve all been great help to me in my first foray into purchasing loose gems. So, I wanted to share my first custom-cut stone purchase with you because I know you’re interested in seeing work from different vendors.

This is a trio of garnets cut by Steve Wallner from Westview Gems. I had a hard time deciding on which color I wanted for the spessartites, so I got them both. :) Steve sent me several videos and descriptions of different-colored spessartites side by side to help me figure out what I wanted. He was really very patient and helpful.

He said the darker one was likely from Nigeria and lighter one from Namibia. The latter also has a sleepier appearance in the videos he sent me. The darker stone sparkles like a disco ball. The lighter one may look a little more golden in some light, and it did in the videos he sent.

I’m having a couple of rings made for these, most likely in unplated white gold.

This picture was sent to me by my jeweler, so I don’t have any more at the moment, though I can post one of the set stones when I get the rings in a couple of months. It will be interesting to see how they look once they’re set.

garnet_trio.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope and thank you for sharing your lovely stones!
They look promising and I am looking forward admiring your eye candy once the rings are ready. Have you chosen the designs for your new rings already?
Happy waiting :wavey:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Amaranto, they look great! What are the specs? And do you have any pics of the settings you're interested in?

amaranto

Rough_Rock
@Acinom Thanks! I had a custom ring design done that I'm using for several of the stones I'm purchasing right now to save money on the design itself (I'm much more interested in spending money on stones). It's based on a men's comfort fit design with a leaf relief on the front and a bezel made for a square stone. I only have a 3D render in AutoCAD, so I don't think I can upload it to the forum to give you a better idea of what it looks like right now, unfortunately.

So, I'm having different square cuts done at around 6 mm so I can change up the metal and stones depending on my mood on any given day and depending on what I'll actually be doing since some of the stones will be more durable than others.

amaranto

Rough_Rock
@ricezo Here are the specs for the two spessartites:

Lightest: 6.6 mm Nigerian cushion, 1.7 cts
Darkest: 6.5 mm checkerboard cushion, 1.7 cts

I love checkerboard cuts.

I'm not sure about the other garnet. It was included as a bonus, and I didn't ask for the specs. What kind of garnet do you think it is: pyrope, almandine, etc.? I guess it's probably too difficult to tell based on the picture alone, but I'm assuming it would have to be cheap to be included for free. I'm going to go ahead and have it set in a sterling version of the ring because I was told it would fit the setting fine.

I'll post some pictures of the ring design when I get them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to pricescope but specifically welcome to the wonderous world of orange Orange ORANGE spess!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Welcome! :wavey: Those are lovely spesses (is that how I pluralize that??). Looking forward to seeing them set!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
amaranto|1418251970|3799110 said:
@ricezo Here are the specs for the two spessartites:

Lightest: 6.6 mm Nigerian cushion, 1.7 cts
Darkest: 6.5 mm checkerboard cushion, 1.7 cts

I love checkerboard cuts.

I'm not sure about the other garnet. It was included as a bonus, and I didn't ask for the specs. What kind of garnet do you think it is: pyrope, almandine, etc.? I guess it's probably too difficult to tell based on the picture alone, but I'm assuming it would have to be cheap to be included for free. I'm going to go ahead and have it set in a sterling version of the ring because I was told it would fit the setting fine.

I'll post some pictures of the ring design when I get them.

I have no idea what kind of spess it is! I didn't even know there were different kinds...clearly I have some research to do! Perhaps the experts will chime in, but I think you're right - a bit hard to tell from a photo!

I love your idea of having a few versions of the same setting in different metals. Can't wait to see more pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI since Ricezo asked:
There are many different garnet types in the garnet family, which are typically easily distinguishable by colouration. Spessartite (typically orange but some are yellower and some are redder) belongs to the garnet family. Given that the bonus garnet is a dark red, it is unlikely to be spessartite but could be pyrope or almandine.

Amaranto,
Do you mind posting the vendor's pictures for comparison? Congrats on your new spesses too!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It could be a spess. I have very dark ones.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I see a bit violett - maybe almandine or a dark rhodolite (RI?)

amaranto

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I was excited when I discovered spessartite because I had been looking for a very orange stone. I like a lot of the Mexican fire opal I've seen, but it seems quite soft.

@ricezo and Crono It becomes difficult for me to tell what I'm looking at when the red-colored garnets start to overlap. I was thinking pyrope, almandine, or maybe rhodolite (though it seems to be missing that raspberry color most of the rhodolites I've seen have—at least on my monitor).

I would love to upload some vendor pics for comparison, but I was only sent videos. At one time, Westview had a picture of a spessartite cut from their rough that was similar to the darker spessartite in my pic, but they no longer have that picture up. Now, they have one of their darker, redder ones up on the home page. I believe that is the one I was shown in one of the videos. It is a gorgeous reddish-orange that looked better in the videos than it does on his website.

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
You could email Steve and ask what the gift stone is. He was guite willing to entertain my guesses on the "goodies" he sent with my first stone. I got one right and he just flat out told me what the second one was. On my next order, he labeled the gift stones (chuckle).

Nice spess.

amaranto

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yes, I think that's what I'll end up doing. [emoji1]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amaranto|1418369532|3799932 said:
Thanks! Yes, I think that's what I'll end up doing. [emoji1]

Good idea to ask. I'm sure he won't mind and you'll know what it is for sure.

amaranto

Rough_Rock
Well, the stones are about to be set, and I thought you might be interested in seeing the gold alloys I chose for the rings. From left to right, they are 22k yellow, 14k peach, 14k rose, and 14 white gold. Those are the caster's designations for the rose gold, btw. The lighter spessartite will be mounted in the white gold ring.

unpolished_gold_0.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet!
i'm partial to the 22K setting, though..........
great project!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh is there a fourth stone?? Please post pics! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the picture of all 4 identical settings in different metals. Looking forward to seeing your stone set.

amaranto

Rough_Rock
@movie zombie Yes, the 22k is my favorite, too. You have no idea how many people told me it would be too soft for a ring. I can't imagine the gold not holding up since the ring is so thick and the prongs are substantial. I'm not hard on my hands.

@ricezo There's a light blue-green tourmaline I had custom cut for the peach gold ring. Other than that, there are other stones, but they're synthetic (though very beautiful), so I haven't posted anything about them since it's against the forum rules. I'll get a picture as soon as I get the rings. The tourmaline in your profile pic is gorgeous, btw.

@Chrono Thanks, and, yes, there's a total of four natural stones being set for this project. I'll be sure to post a pic of them all with their respective metals as soon as they ship. Should be any day now since the last silver rings of the bunch are being cast this week. I'm curious how the white gold will polish out. I'm sure it will be lighter than it looks in the picture.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I completely commiserate with you re your experience in getting the 22k gold setting made......I too experienced it with my spess.

I would not normally prong a spess but your spess is lower set AND the prongs are very thick. however, hit just right [actually, just wrong!] it could still pop out. however, i'm guessing extra care will be taken when wearing it and it will be ok.

"fine" prongs would be a no-go but I think the setting was conceived in such a way to minimize risk.

can't wait to see the stone set in it......and the others as well....when completed!

eta: getting someone to do extra thick prongs?! dang near impossible but so many just do not want to work in 22K......sigh.

amaranto

Rough_Rock
I think I got lucky with this jeweler. He suggested that prong size early on for all the rings. He did have to send the 22k and one of the rose golds out to a caster that had experience with those specific alloys, though, because he had some trouble with them.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah, you really did get lucky! most wouldn't admit they were in over their heads a bit and persevere on........
again, can't wait to see them with stones set....and don't forget finger shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results