shape
carat
color
clarity

Library Visit, Then Held At Gunpoint

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am posting this in honor of ame, who started the thread on Ferguson. Charles M.Blow is one of my favorite contributors to "The New York Times". When I first heard that this had happened to his son I was incredulous.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/opinion/charles-blow-at-yale-the-police-detained-my-son.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0

Excerpt:

"Saturday evening, I got a call that no parent wants to get. It was my son calling from college — he’s a third-year student at Yale. He had been accosted by a campus police officer, at gunpoint!

This is how my son remembers it:

He left for the library around 5:45 p.m. to check the status of a book he had requested. The book hadn’t arrived yet, but since he was there he put in a request for some multimedia equipment for a project he was working on.

Then he left to walk back to his dorm room. He says he saw an officer 'jogging' toward the entrance of another building across the grounds from the building he’d just left.

Then this:

'I did not pay him any mind, and continued to walk back towards my room. I looked behind me, and noticed that the police officer was following me. He spoke into his shoulder-mounted radio and said, "I got him."

'I faced forward again, presuming that the officer was not talking to me. I then heard him say, "Hey, turn around!" — which I did.

'The officer raised his gun at me, and told me to get on the ground.

'At this point, I stopped looking directly at the officer, and looked down towards the pavement. I dropped to my knees first, with my hands raised, then laid down on my stomach.

'The officer asked me what my name was. I gave him my name.

'The officer asked me what school I went to. I told him Yale University.

'At this point, the officer told me to get up.'

The officer gave his name, then asked my son to 'give him a call the next day.'

My son continued:

'I got up slowly, and continued to walk back to my room. I was scared. My legs were shaking slightly. After a few more paces, the officer said, "Hey, my man. Can you step off to the side?" I did.'

The officer asked him to turn around so he could see the back of his jacket. He asked his name again, then, finally, asked to see my son’s ID. My son produced his school ID from his wallet.

(snip of procedural details)

That suspect was apparently later arrested in the area.

When I spoke to my son, he was shaken up. I, however, was fuming.

Now, don’t get me wrong: If indeed my son matched the description of a suspect, I would have had no problem with him being questioned appropriately. School is his community, his home away from home, and he would have appreciated reasonable efforts to keep it safe. The stop is not the problem; the method of the stop is the problem.

Why was a gun drawn first? Why was he not immediately told why he was being detained? Why not ask for ID first?

What if my son had panicked under the stress, having never had a gun pointed at him before, and made what the officer considered a 'suspicious' movement? Had I come close to losing him? Triggers cannot be unpulled. Bullets cannot be called back.

My son was unarmed, possessed no plunder, obeyed all instructions, answered all questions, did not attempt to flee or resist in any way.

This is the scenario I have always dreaded: my son at the wrong end of a gun barrel, face down on the concrete. I had always dreaded the moment that we would share stories about encounters with the police in which our lives hung in the balance, intergenerational stories of joining the inglorious 'club.'

When that moment came, I was exceedingly happy I had talked to him about how to conduct himself if a situation like this ever occurred. Yet I was brewing with sadness and anger that he had to use that advice.

I am reminded of what I have always known, but what some would choose to deny: that there is no way to work your way out — earn your way out — of this sort of crisis. In these moments, what you’ve done matters less than how you look.

There is no amount of respectability that can bend a gun’s barrel. All of our boys are bound together.

The dean of Yale College and the campus police chief have apologized and promised an internal investigation, and I appreciate that. But the scars cannot be unmade. My son will always carry the memory of the day he left his college library and an officer trained a gun on him."

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, I've been thinking about this a lot. I too had read the article.
not sure what to say.
no matter what I write it will be misconstrued in one way or another.
however, it does seem to me that all young black males are suspects and that all police officers are now in fear of their life.....so pulling a gun first and asking questions 2nd is the new norm.
in many ways this young man was lucky: the officer didn't shoot him.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It happened to me sort of.
One day in 1990 I was driving back from college and all of the sudden 3 cop cars surround my car and put their lights on, I pull over and the cops approach with guns drawn.
As the first cop got up near my window he yelled its not him and they got in their cars and took off with no explanation.
I later found out that someone had just robbed a bank around the last exit driving an identical car to mine and wearing a blue coat like mine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the comments posted at the time I read this piece. Other white people had been stopped by policemen at gunpoint at you were, Karl.

We know from the gun deaths that it does not happen at nearly the rate that it happens to black people, especially black males. Thus the advice given by Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York City (who is white) to his son (who is what we accept to be African American). The advice that angered so many people because it was construed as criticizing the police.

Link to story...http://www.bustle.com/articles/52750-bill-de-blasio-describes-talking-to-his-black-son-dante-about-dealing-with-police-and-its

Deb

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1422812407|3825542 said:
We know from the gun deaths that it does not happen at nearly the rate that it happens to black people, especially black males.
Are you sure of that?
It is not something that many agencies track or want to admit or even talk about.
Its not news if its a white person in this day and age.
I am tired of people problems being framed as a white problem or a black problem by the media.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1422898793|3826049 said:
AGBF|1422812407|3825542 said:
We know from the gun deaths that it does not happen at nearly the rate that it happens to black people, especially black males.

Are you sure of that?

Yes. This is only one of many places where one can find statistics to back up what everyone knows is true. And you are tired of hearing about racial inequality in the media? I would bet that black people are tired of being killed in disproportionate numbers.

Link...http://www.propublica.org/article/deadly-force-in-black-and-white

Deb

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1422992326|3826758 said:
And you are tired of hearing about racial inequality in the media?
Deb
I believe there is problem with police training, attitudes and actions in many areas that leads to needless and unjustified shootings and killings and confrontations at gunpoint.
It always being framed as racism is a red herring that takes the spotlight off the real problem.
It is just as big a problem when it is done to someone of any color.
Its a people issue not a black/white issue.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can imagine that if you are an innocent person who happens to be inadvertently in the wrong place at the wrong time, and for whatever reason the cops stop you, that it would be a most scary incident. But PLEASE do what they say! Immediately with no argument. Your actions will dictate what happens next 99% of the time. That 1% is just bad luck and/or bad cop. The cop does not know you are innocent if they are looking for a suspect/car fitting a description. The cop is possibly already amped up if the suspect is deemed armed/dangerous so don't be an idiot.

As for the racial bit I have my own well earned opinion. Yep disproportionate for sure as far as prison goes. But IMHO after a very long career in 3 different max security mens prisons working in SHU, Ad Seg, and mainline, 99% of those MF-ers in all colors are right where they ****ing belong. Unless you have been there you cannot convince me otherwise. Gun deaths for black males would not be so high if the gangbangers would quit shooting each other.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results