shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you pay extra for a Tiffany & Co. solitaire?

Brilianti

Rough_Rock
Trade
Would you pay extra for a Tiffany & Co. solitaire?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me...

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
No, I don't have that kind of money to spend.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No. Absolutely not.
I love Tiffany (I've experienced nothing but good quality and excellent customer service), but paying extra for a Tiffany solitaire is not something I would do when I can get more bang for my buck elsewhere. Not only that, but I have never been asked who made/designed my ring (nor have I ever asked that question to anyone else). Unless you plan on going around telling everyone that your ring is a Tiffany :lol: :roll: , no one knows but you, so unless that's super-importnat to you, why bother?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the branding is not important to me and nobody else can tell unless I remove my ring to show them the hallmark (if they even care about it in the first place). Tiffany also carries well cut and poorly cut diamonds, so the branding is not a guarantee of quality.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for a Tiffany solitaire but perhaps for a Cartier solitaire...if I had the extra money to burn. But as things stand now. No way.

People vary however and I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong when it comes to this. My darling sister has a Tiffany solitaire that my BIL chose himself. She is not into jewelry at all and neither is my BIL so he chose the Tiffany route because he wanted something that he thought had great quality without knowing anything about diamonds. And she is so happy with her ring and doesn't care that it is a very small diamond. She knows it is a Tiffany diamond and ring and she is content and pleased.

All this was before I even heard of PS and before I knew anything about diamonds though she got engaged after I was already married. I was slow to learn about the internet haha. And even if I was more knowledgeable back then it would not have mattered as my BIL is very independent and would not have wanted any input from anyone so it would not have made a difference.

All I am saying (in my usual verbose way sorry) is that what works for one is not necessarily right for another and there is no universal right or wrong when it comes to what jewelry we love and adore. It's OK to love a Tiffany ring and it's OK to want to get more for your money. As long as you are happy with your decision it is all a good (for you) decision IMO.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. I know I can get the same look with much better quality for a better price elsewhere--and not from a big fancy name brand.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I would rather spend the money on a bigger stone (or save the cash).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. Though I tend to think the Tiffany draw is a mental thing. Some people always dream of the Tiffany ring for status or sentimental reasons so for those people having the name is worth the premium. I feel that way about vintage Cartier, a Cartier piece would mean a lot to me. It symbolizes a very special time gone by and it would be cool to wear a piece of that.

Me circa now will never afford it, but maybe I'll be rich in the next life!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm the odd duck around here.

We bought a Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond ring as a RHR. Yes, I know I could have bought the same or better from a PS vendor for half of the cost, but I wanted to own one piece of jewelry from them. It was sent to NY for sizing so I have not even opened the "blue box" the white bow is still nicely tied on it ... LOL

But I also recently bought a CBI diamond from a PS vendor (Wink of HPD).
My pear diamond was purchased at a B&M store in San Francisco back in 1996 before PS existed.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Tiffany's jewelry in terms of their necklaces, earrings, brooches, bracelets etc, but if I was going to spend a lot of money on a dream 2-3ct solitaire I'd go to one of the reputable internet vendors. It's because of cut. With the internet vendors you can pick a diamond with your preferred angles, use the HCA and other tools, and maybe see light performance images, whereas with Tiffany you're taking pot-luck with the cut. A large Tiffany diamond would carry a massive premium and there's no way I'd pay that huge amount extra when you don't even know what cut quality you're getting. I also don't trust their in-house grading. The only grading systems I trust are AGS or GIA.

So pay a massive premium to get a pot-luck cut? No way.

I'm all for Tiffany for their silver/gold/platinum jewelry pieces, and their DBTY too, but I wouldn't buy a sizeable diamond from them. Nor their colored gemstones, which are heavily treated according to their care booklet. For example, the sapphires are not heat-only treatment, but a bunch of other treatments too which are generally regarded as a bad thing in the jewelry industry.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
No.

The only circumstance I would consider Tiffany jewelry is if they offered a design not available elsewhere. But a simple solitaire? Not worth it.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely not.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not when there are so many non-branded equivalents just as good if not better and at better prices.

DK :))

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always do. Practically everything I have came from there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes many people love certain brands and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I mean many women enjoy high end purses and shoes and again nothing wrong with that. If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure then go for it!

Tiffany might not be everyone's cup of tea here but it also doesn't mean you are getting an inferior diamond. They do have some nice jewelry still lol.

Pricescopers are a unique bunch. Well versed in diamonds and wanting to get the most bang for their buck. More power to us for that but just because someone prefers a specific name brand(s) doesn't make them wrong. As I wrote before there is no absolute right or wrong here. It's what each individual wants. The heart wants what the heart wants yanno?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Quality matters to me much more than brand name. I could get just as good as if not better quality elsewhere for much less.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes yup fo 'sure absolutely si oui da

cheers--Sharon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not for a solitaire. Some of their wedding bands are gorgeous, but I think there are several PS vendors that can replicate them as well. The only way I'd ever buy Tiffany is if it were a design that no one else can do or do well -- like a Schlumberger style or a branded cut like the Novo... wait... nope, I wouldn't buy Tiffany anyway -- just not worth the premium to me. :|

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For myself? No.
But if I was buying for someone who valued the Tiffany name and wanted to blue box was important to them AND I could afford it? Yes, I would.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. But I like some of their other pieces.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would if that is what I wanted. I have one Tiffany band and I absolutely love it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the plain solitaire but I do like and have/would again pay for some of their original design jewelry.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only if I felt it was worth it.

Which I don't.

Anne

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO!
I inherited a Tiffany solitaire and it's a pretty diamond, but not as well-cut as my ACA from WF.
Also, the fact that the diamond is in a Tiffany setting almost doubled the replacement value, so you are paying quite a bit for that little stamp inside the ring!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I'm a size W@#$* so the extra money would be put into increasing the size of the stone.... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results