shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on a red stone

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this... Almost 2ct unheated ruby for under $500. Not a great cut or clarity, but unheated and cheap! (caveat : I'm not familiar with this vendor but from my experience the vendors in this group are usually reliable).

uploadfromtaptalk1422492552732.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Looks like an interesting buy but it the buyer would have to be okay with visible milky inclusions.

Iserae, would you be open to a pyrope garnet? It's not a ruby or spinel, but you can get a clean one for a good price.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1422496116|3823578 said:
Looks like an interesting buy but it the buyer would have to be okay with visible milky inclusions. .

Agree. I think it's difficult to get an unheated(esp with AGL report) ruby of a quality that meets PSers' standards at $500/carat. :D Even spinel is very expensive these days. I wish my salary would increase at the same rate as gemstones :razz:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It's sad that red spinel is basically out of reach now for most buyers at 2 cts and above. I am thinking of stopping collecting stones as it's getting too expensive.

iserae

Rough_Rock
You are all amazing. Thank you, I never expected so much help and advice, and learned a few new things from this thread to boot.

I will continue to look for the spinel, although I understand I may have to settle in terms of color or quality - but in the meantime I will look at pyrope garnets as per Sparklies and pregcurious's advice - garnets are my birthstone anyway.

It's a shame that stones aren't very liquid and don't make particularly good investments if you a) don't have good bargaining skills and b) can't afford absolute top-quality pieces, because they are lovely and very addictive!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
What about this? It's $470, and is pink-red/red-pink, with some silk. I think it's a fair price. It will not sparkle as it's silky, and is not cut for sparkle, but I think it makes for a decent ~$500 ruby substitute. In fact, the silkiness makes it look more ruby-like, IMHO.

It looks like it has some inclusions at the tip, but I am not sure. The stone is listed as VS, which means it should be eye clean, but your eye may be very keen. Based on the depth, it probably also has a window, but again, the color is very good.

I don't know if it has good fluorescence, but you can ask Dana. You can use a UV penlight/flashlight to look for fluor when you receive it, but if it has strong fluor, you will notice that the color becomes electric in sunlight.

Dana has good customer service, so you can return it if you don't like it within the 10 day return time frame.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7943

31106.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1422497888|3823593 said:
pregcurious|1422496116|3823578 said:
Looks like an interesting buy but it the buyer would have to be okay with visible milky inclusions. .

Agree. I think it's difficult to get an unheated(esp with AGL report) ruby of a quality that meets PSers' standards at $500/carat. :D Even spinel is very expensive these days. I wish my salary would increase at the same rate as gemstones :razz:

Yes, me as well. ;(

My favorite reds are pinkish reds, but orangy and purple reds are typically more affordable. The less of a secondary color, the more money however, if the stone is untreated and natural.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1422502220|3823625 said:
What about this? It's $470, and is pink-red/red-pink, with some silk. I think it's a fair price. It will not sparkle as it's silky, and is not cut for sparkle, but I think it makes for a decent ~$500 ruby substitute. In fact, the silkiness makes it look more ruby-like, IMHO.

It looks like it has some inclusions at the tip, but I am not sure. The stone is listed as VS, which means it should be eye clean, but your eye may be very keen. Based on the depth, it probably also has a window, but again, the color is very good.

I don't know if it has good fluorescence, but you can ask Dana. You can use a UV penlight/flashlight to look for fluor when you receive it, but if it has strong fluor, you will notice that the color becomes electric in sunlight.

Dana has good customer service, so you can return it if you don't like it within the 10 day return time frame.

FYI: my experience with Dana's grading has been generous. I believe his eye clean to be less rigorous than the standards used by most PSers. Be aware that if he lists something as both VS-SI, the lower grade is what you look at, imo, and there will definitely be eye visible inclusions. At least that's the way it was several years ago when I bought from him; he might have tightened his standards since.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The silky unheated ruby that someone linked to on the last page has been sold. I wonder if the OP bought it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was looking for something else when I happened upon this one.

Edited
Found a nicer reddish spessartite with amazing cutting.
http://www.stevorocks.com

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1422562057|3824025 said:
Was looking for something else when I happened upon this one.

Edited
Found a nicer reddish spessartite with amazing cutting.
http://www.stevorocks.com

Preg: which one? The round orange one in the top right of the collage? The link is to his front page so its hard to tell which?

S

SparkliesLuver

I assume Chrono meant this one?

3604396_a.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux said:
pregcurious|1422502220|3823625 said:

FYI: my experience with Dana's grading has been generous. I believe his eye clean to be less rigorous than the standards used by most PSers. Be aware that if he lists something as both VS-SI, the lower grade is what you look at, imo, and there will definitely be eye visible inclusions. At least that's the way it was several years ago when I bought from him; he might have tightened his standards since.
+1. Although I still have a high opinion of Master cut, the most recent purchase I made left me a little disappointed. I bought a gem that was described as eye clean and the vendor photos did not show anything. However when I received the gem I could spot two brown inclusions on the edge of the table from 12 inches away.
The previous gems I've bought from Mastercut have been great and exactly as described though. If you are in the US the generous return policy is great, but if you are outside the US the return shipping can add up. I would definitely buy from them again, but would be much more cautious in future before buying,since their definition of eye clean does not always equal eye clean for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1422620523|3824360 said:
SL,
That's the one. It is more of a burnt orange (reddish orange) and I'm hoping the darkness isn't extinction but camera shadowing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1422623244|3824382 said:
SparkliesLuver|1422620523|3824360 said:
SL,
That's the one. It is more of a burnt orange (reddish orange) and I'm hoping the darkness isn't extinction but camera shadowing.
Looks like a good size and the color is quite nice. It will be dark, but that is okay, and expected of a garnet. I know there was a garnet collector here who had a fabulous pyrope garnet that was cut to be bright, but I don't remember his username.

Good advice on Mastercut Gems. I bought a stone from him that had a visible inclusion under the table, but he disclosed it, and it is not noticeable when wearing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono: sorry to have mistaken you for Preg. It was late and I just saw red (as in the avatar)... :oops:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You may have to take a risk to get the stone that you want. Hemi at Gemcal has some red spinels, and you may also want to look at Tan stores on Ebay, which are listed under the Vendor List in the forum.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1422638313|3824489 said:
Chrono: sorry to have mistaken you for Preg. It was late and I just saw red (as in the avatar)... :oops:
My stone is flattered to be mistaken for Chrono's giant Mahenge spinel. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results