shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity ring- will non-matching ring be noticeable? Size?

fruxo

Shiny_Rock
Hey.

As I want to surprise my wife with the eternity ring, I would prefer not to have to go to shops with her to try on rings. Her wedding ring is a normal band with diamonds around half the band (about 1 point each). I will double check, but I believe she wears it as the first rings, then engagement ring and then (eventually) the eternity ring. The wedding rings sits flush with the engagement ring as the center diamond is slightly raised.

Ideally I'd like to get the same ring as the wedding ring but with diamonds all the way around, but doesn't look like they make this exact ring as an eternity ring. I could try and custom order, but not sure if possible (and lots of hassle). As it's a fairly common style, I've been trying to find a similar ring instead. Is it very noticeable when the rings don't 100% match?

This is her wedding ring:
http://www.bluenile.com/au/monique-lhuillier-diamond-wedding-ring-platinum_35527

Here is one that is very close in style and they are both platinum. The diamonds are about the same size (slightly bigger), the width is slightly wider (1.7 vs 1.8-1.9), but looks close enough to me. Would this ring make it a seamless set that looks like it was made to be matching from the start, or am I kidding myself?
http://www.bluenile.com/au/riviera-petite-pave-eternity-diamond-ring-platinum_42409

I'm also not sure about the size. Both her current rings are 8.25. Should I get the same size for eternity ring? Or does the position of the rings make a lot of difference in which size? This one comes in 8 and 8.5. I'm thinking of going 8.5 as her current rings are a little tight. Will such a small size difference again be very noticeable when the rings are next to each other or will no one be able to tell?

Thank you!

EDIT: suggestions for other rings are also much appreciated of course. The main criteria being price and close match. It would also have to be platinum as her other two rings.

fruxo

Shiny_Rock
Re: Eternity ring- will non-matching ring be noticeable? Siz

I'm also considering just getting the same ring she has as a wedding ring, meaning she'd have a completely symmetrical set. She has mentioned earlier that she wouldn't mind this, and that some friend with an eternity ring with diamonds all around has told her it's a bit of a pain as she always hit the diamonds and are afraid of damaging them. Despite what she has said, I doubt she'd be fully happy without diamonds around the whole band and that she is just saying that it's fine because we went over and beyond on her engagement ring (price wise).

Has anyone here bought a second identical wedding ring as the engagement ring and what are your thoughts on this approach? It would be a lot easier and safer and much cheaper (even more so if I can get the price down below a $AU1000 through codes or whatnot, as we then won't have to pay around 15% in duties etc). Personally I think this is the best and most practical approach and it would look definitely look great. But I'm the one who like practical things whereas my wife is more of an emotional buyer, and I'm worried that she won't be fully happy with this excellent and practical idea :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sure you'll get lots of different points of view on this! Here are my thoughts. I'd go with the full eternity. It sounds like your gut is saying that's what she really wants. I'd go with the 8.5 since this will sit up higher on her finger. I have a lot of 1/2 eternities and they are more cost effective, and you don't worry about potentially smacking the bottom of the ring; however, they do shift slightly from side to side so you end up seeing some plain metal. If that's happening with one ring, I'm not bothered, but if two are swinging to a slightly off kilter position it's more bothersome to just 'lil ole me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If she plans to wear one above the engagement ring and one below, I think it needs to be the identical band to the one she has. I only like a different one (such as shaped bezels) if both bands are worn under the engagement ring. Or it needs to be totally different in style if not exactly the same. It is not going to look right to have one that is close but not an exact match.

This is not a surprise I would be happy with. The absolute best way to choose is to try on rings with the existing rings UNLESS you go with the matching band to her current one.

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

motownmama|1422200224|3821792 said:
I'm sure you'll get lots of different points of view on this! Here are my thoughts. I'd go with the full eternity. It sounds like your gut is saying that's what she really wants. I'd go with the 8.5 since this will sit up higher on her finger.

Yeah, as much as I want to buy the other one that has diamonds around half the band, I think the "right" one unfortunately is the one with diamonds all the way around ring. I'd happily hear other peoples opinions though and reserve the right to change my mind :) But yes, gut says full eternity ring or she won't be fully happy with it. Also, with going to 8.5, I take it then that you don't think it will be noticeable that this ring is slightly bigger than the others?

diamondseeker2006|1422225364|3821964 said:
It is not going to look right to have one that is close but not an exact match.
The absolute best way to choose is to try on rings with the existing rings UNLESS you go with the matching band to her current one.

Hmm, this is what I'm afraid of. Unfortunately, living in Australia, the range is really bad and expensive. We bought both the engagement and wedding ring from overseas. We did our research of course, and we tried on lots and lots of rings locally first, but it was still a worry buying something that expensive without seeing them first on anything besides photos. It worked out very well though and they were even nicer than the similar (and more expensive) ones that we liked locally.

Anyway, my point is that there is no matching full eternity ring to her wedding ring as far as I know, so my only option is to buy one that looks similar. And we'd "have" to buy it online too without seeing it in person first. But maybe I'll take her to some local stores to try non-matching but similar rings to figure out how much of an issue this is going to be.

So I take it you didn't think the one I posted was close enough in style and size to look like a matching pair then?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am just not sure why you would want one band to be full eternity and the other be half when they are almost the same? I don't think I would like that. I'd want them to be the exact same or totally different. There is just no way to tell how that other ring would look with the current ones. It could be a different height than the other ones and really not look good. I just think that is risky, although I guess you could return it if it didn't work.

By totally different I mean something like this (not necessarily this exact one, but a different style from what she already has):

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/05PP1/

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1422252971|3822132 said:
I am just not sure why you would want one band to be full eternity and the other be half when they are almost the same? I don't think I would like that.
Oh ok, I didn't even know that was a thing. As far as I knew, the wedding ring is usually plain or with some diamonds, whereas the eternity ring is the one with diamonds all the way around. I don't think I've seen anyone have a full eternity ring as their wedding ring. I'm not planning on upgrading the wedding ring :)

So the only option then, in your opinion of course, would be to buy the exact same one that she currently has as a wedding ring? Assuming she doesn't want a completely different style eternity ring, but I'm pretty confident she doesn't.

EDIT: as for height and whatnot, the only guide I would have would be the photos and the listed specifications. I assume blue nile have accurate figures. For the example I posted, the photos look extremely similar and the height is 1.6mm vs 1.7mm. But yes, I completely see your point and it worries me.

EDIT: Although in my opinion the eternity ring should be given after 10 years, hence the extra diamonds (I always thought of it as an upgraded wedding ring of sorts). With the "new" tradition of giving eternity ring with first baby, even if it's very close to when you got married, I suppose the whole concept kind of falls apart a little. So maybe it's ok to have two of the same rings.

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

Here is another similar ring from bluenile:
http://www.bluenile.com/au/pave-diamond-eternity-ring-platinum_17387

This one has the exact same width and height (1.7) as her wedding ring. However, the diamonds are slightly smaller. It will be hard to get exactly the same size diamonds, but I think slightly bigger is probably preferable to slightly smaller. If it is noticeable I mean.

EDIT: actually, using the stats on the rings, her current one has diamonds which are 1.26 points each whereas the first ring I listed had 1.30 points each. This ring however is 0.89 points. I think that would definitely be noticeable which is probably why I discounted this ring to begin with. Obviously weight and size does not always correlate perfectly, but still.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am going to say that your thoughts on when eternity rings are given is no longer the case. I would estimate that a large percentage of the wedding bands people choose on the forum are full eternity. The danger in that is that many women have a change in ring size over their lifetime and eternity rings cannot be sized. It is also true that you have to be extremely careful to not grasp things in a way that could damage the eternity. If she is going to wear the eternity at the bottom below her e-ring, I would go for slightly larger stones for the eternity than the wedding band if the choice is larger or smaller stones.

I just can't say how any of the other rings would look without seeing them tried on together. I know it is extremely hard to buy things via the internet when you can't easily try and return things. Ideally you could order a couple and see what looks best, but I know it is complicated when in another country.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results