shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Europeans - help me chose?

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am upgrading my engagement ring stone and considering these two stones ( or maybe neither depending on what you think!). This is likely the one time in my life where I can upgrade since my husband thinks diamonds are silly so I want to go as large as I can. I definitely want an antique cut as the original stone in the ring when he proposed was a small OEC which was badly chipped so we replaced it. These two are from Old World Diamonds. I have links to videos of each stone if you would care to look. My budget is $5300. I don't mind color and prefer nothing lower than I1 if you have other suggestions of stones to consider!

1. 1.83 carats, 7.44 x 7.40 x 5.2, 46% table, 69% depth, Color is somewhere between M-O, Clarity I1 $3500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOgTFiHw2E&feature=youtu.be

2. 2.31 carats, 8.5 spread (don't have exact dimensions), 58% depth, 51% table, SI2, Color - not sure, but much darker $5300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQoNbzwP2s0&feature=youtu.be

Would love your thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

_26366.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am ambivalent the the colour of both but the 1.83 is a MUCH better cut stone, big high crown small table it looks a bit ordinary in the pic above because of the colour but the cut looks stunning in the video. Are you O.K with the colour and the big cluster of white inclusions which you can see at the 6.00 position in the pic above and also see clearly in the video? It's a very nice cut but it is never going to be an eye clean or a mind clean stone. I don't like the 2.31 at all. If it was me I would be looking for a smaller whiter cleaner diamond for $5300.00.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. If the clarity of the 1.8 is fine for you, I would definitely choose that over the other, larger, stone.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
out of the two choices, yup like the 1.83 much better.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I called Good Old Gold and found two more options! Stats below. They ordered the stones and will be sending me videos Tuesday.

1.9ct N I1. 8.0 x 7.6 = $3,555

1.3ct L VS1 7.5 x 7.5 = $4,778

Neither stones are certed but the last one, which sounds like a spread cut looks promising. Will report back for your opinions on those! I am unsure about the white crystals.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Are there any other vendors on pricescope that I should contact?

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Two great oec vendors are grace and erica. Try jewelsbygrace.com and loveaffairdiamonds.com

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
I can hold off until the perfect stone comes along, I just really want a large stone. I agree that eye clean would be idea but may not fit into my budget. That stone is lovely but only marginally larger than the one I have so I want it to be a sizable upgrade since I will likely never be able to upgrade.

Are spread cuts likely to be less sparkly? The 1.3 that Good Old Gold has seems like it may be a good choice but it is most definitely a spread cut.

I have contacted Erica and Grace :) Thank you for that suggestion!

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Also, if anyone has a good lead on a old pear shape I am most definitely interested in that! Thanks again for all your help!

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
I have been eyeing this and I'm sure a lot of you have looked at it - I called and spoke with Glenn, the owner of Lovelady Diamonds who is very well respected - he mentioned that it is a gorgeous stone in person but there is an open inclusion at the girdle. Is it just too ugly for words? The color is nice but it is a spread cut. He says that you can't really notice the inclusions unless you look hard since they are scattered. But it looks like they are all over. Still, it's huge for the price. I should skip it, right? They do have a 100% return policy if I don't like it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261697501032?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
I saw that! I wish it was a bit bigger but dang it is so lovely!

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Hoping one of you will comment on the ebay atone I posted so I can stop thinking about it :p

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
suzdaug|1422134505|3821523 said:

How much bigger do you want? The pear which is the pick of the stones you are looking at so far is 9.33mms up and down ways 6.21 across and 3.06 deep. The up and down way spread just to put that into context for you is the same as around a 3.00 carat + round. When you are looking at fancy cuts like Marquise and Pears and even Ovals you also look at the mms not just the carat weight. The 2.81 carat that you have picked from ebay is a hideous diamond and there is no other tactful way to put it, it's an super bad cut and so heavily included it's going to look like frozen spit on the hand. The pear is about as good as you are going to get spread wise on your budget. As previously suggested to get something decent something has to give you either need to think about smaller OECs and wait until the perfect stone comes along or wait and save up more.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pass on the ebay stone. It is too heavily included.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I would also pass on that EBAY stone, too many visible inclusions for my taste. I find that IRL that may inclusions (to me at least) makes the stone look constantly dirty.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1422147961|3821604 said:
suzdaug|1422134505|3821523 said:

How much bigger do you want? The pear which is the pick of the stones you are looking at so far is 9.33mms up and down ways 6.21 across and 3.06 deep. The up and down way spread just to put that into context for you is the same as around a 3.00 carat + round. When you are looking at fancy cuts like Marquise and Pears and even Ovals you also look at the mms not just the carat weight. The 2.81 carat that you have picked from ebay is a hideous diamond and there is no other tactful way to put it, it's an super bad cut and so heavily included it's going to look like frozen spit on the hand. The pear is about as good as you are going to get spread wise on your budget. As previously suggested to get something decent something has to give you either need to think about smaller OECs and wait until the perfect stone comes along or wait and save up more.

Bigger :) I would like something significantly bigger than I have. Here is how the pear compares to mine. I have contacted her for a price since she didn't list it. It is so pretty. I can't help myself to want a larger stone as this is my one chance to get one. Thanks for all the comments! I have abandoned the eBay stone.

http://www.diamdb.com/compare/0.7ct-round-5.6x5.72x3.49-vs-1.18ct-pear-9.33x6.21x3.06/

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
crossing my fingers as I wait to hear back about Grace's beautiful pear!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So your existing diamond is .70 carats and 5.6 x 5.72? What colour is your existing diamond? So far the best of the rounds you have considered is the 1.83 OEC from Adam, the smaller one with the inclusions you can see, you are going to notice a substantial size jump from a 5.6 to 5.7 mm stone to a 7.40mm stone.

You are also going to notice a substantial increase from 5.6/5.7 to a stone that is 6.2 across BUT 9.33 up and down. I hope it is in your price range because it is still the pick of everything on here balancing size, colour and clarity. And if you want to make it look bigger across what I would do is set it into a bezel or a halo and hey presto you have something that visually will look like over a 2.50+ stone.

Otherwise I think you should think about bezelling or putting a halo around something like a long fancy shape like a pear, marquise, oval or Emerald cut to give you more finger coverage. Maybe even an OEC in a halo to give more finger coverage. You also have to remember the larger the stone the more I think heavy inclusions are going to show up. In a .70 or smaller a couple of inclusions are not going to be as blatantly obvious as they are in some of the stones you have picked so far.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1422195258|3821775 said:
Since you don't seem to mind the idea of an I1 or mid to lower colours put this stone;

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-103ct-k-i1pear-shape-diamond-gia-r6147

Into this halo or something like it;

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-hand-forged-diamond-halo-so4351

And you have something that will give you max finger coverage all within budget.

Thank you so much for all of your help! I truly appreciate the honesty and your time looking around. I am going to pass on both of the stones from Old World Diamonds. I think the huge white area would bother me to not end. I do prefer the cut on that one to the darker one. I 100% want an old cut stone stone though, this much I know for sure. I am open to other shapes so long as they are old :)

Matt from Good Old Gold has two stones on order for me to look at so I will report back with those if you care to see them and comment. I really do value all of the expertise here.
1.9ct N I1. 8.0 x 7.6 = $3,555
1.3ct L VS1 7.5 x 7.5 = $4,778

I have contacted that eBay seller to see what the measurements on that 1.5 carat stone are. It they know then it might be an idea. I'll admit though, I am SO in love with that pear from Grace that I am hoping it is still available so I can stop looking.

My current stone is set in a halo and I plan to have the new stone set in a halo as well.

If you see or think of anything else I would welcome the help! thanks again :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the pear on the seal peek and the two larger pears on her site. The 1.18 has a longer face up than either of those... If size is your goal.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Still waiting to hear from her. I am sure it is either sold or out of my budget.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
suzdaug|1422211476|3821863 said:
I also have my eye on this if anyone cares to offer their opinion? I really value your advice!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-Old-Miner-Cut-2-15ct-Diamond-Platinum-Ring-/141546158713?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Hi suzdaug, I'm not an expert but this stone, even though 2.15 carats, faces up pretty small (7.37 x7.34 mm) because it's deep - 71%. I'm not really that crazy about it, the culet looks big for my taste and the faceting doesn't look that nice to my eye. I think you're better off checking out those other diamonds that GOG has. They face up bigger and I have a feeling they will have a better cut. Also, the reserve hasn't been met on that diamond, it might be beyond your budget anyway.

suzdaug

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I will post those two for feedback as soon as Matt sends them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look at the ones GOG has. They can access pretty much anything the others can from suppliers.

But as far as ebay goes, this is a reliable vendor with a return policy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Loose-Diamonds-Gemstones-/491/m.html?_adv=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=16&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_ssn=mydiamondzone

I will have to reiterate what others have said, go for a well cut stone with decent clarity and a nice color, even if warm. If you go for size over everything else, I think you will eventually be sorry and have a stone that is almost impossible to sell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results