shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one of these two diamonds would you choose for pendant

adev

Rough_Rock
I need your advise on selecting a diamond for the pendant. After a lot of search, the choice has come down between these two diamonds.
Both of these are about same price (2nd one is about $500 more). They are both brilliant round with GIA XXX ratings and eye-clean.

1: 1.51 carat, H, VVS2, 7.385 mm
2: 1.70 carat, G, SI2, 7.775 mm

Is there a perceivable difference between the color G & H for this sized diamond? Would an H-colored pendant show darker when worn with the existing round diamond studs of color G, SI2, .7ctw, GIA XXX? Unfortunately, I can't put them up next to each other to confirm beforehand.

Which of these two would you pick and why?

FourMine

Rough_Rock
Trade
Re: Which one of these two diamonds would you choose for pen

Hello adev,

So looking at the measurements, the 2nd stone has better spread, respective to its carat weight. It seems like a fuller look. However, it's tough for me to advise toward an SI2 against a VVS2. The color difference in a pendant is probably barely visible, if eye visible at all.

I would be surprised if the SI2 had no impact on the diamond's light penetration and sparkle. The other thing is the price. I'm surprised the G SI2 is more expensive than the H VVS, despite the difference in size. A cost difference of that many color grades is pretty significant.

I don't think the H color, when worn near the G color would look "off" in this case because we're talking about rounds. In a fancy shape, I would recommend against you doing that.

To conclude, I would say go with the first option because of price and clarity. Either way, best of luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you,
Anubh

Four Mine
Gemologist
www.fourmine.com

adev

Rough_Rock

Yes, the 1.7ct is larger than most in its size due to shallow depth (60%) and medium girdle. It has HCA of 1.6. FIrst one with 1.5ctw had HCA of 1.3.
As far as the price goes, it's not like 1.7 is way overpriced but the 1.5 is lower priced than most with similar specs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For a pendant the color will not be noticeable, neither will the clarity.size is what you will see. For the price, which size do you want? Both are large. Is it worth $500 in size to you or can you be happy with the smaller size?

adev

Rough_Rock

Here is an image of 1.7ctw diamond that I got.
This is how GIA shows its inclusions:

This has about 10% larger face-up area than 1.51 and is supposedly eye-clean. Though it is GIA Triple-Ex, the image doesn't look all that great to me. What do you think of it? Should I go by the image or the specs?

Here are more details along with the AGA/NAJA Cut Class Grader tool report.

1. 1.51 H VVS2

Tab Percent: 1A
Crown Angle: 1A
Crown Height: 1A
Pavilion Depth: 1A
Girdle: 1A
Depth: 1A
Polish: 1A
Symmetry: 1A
TotalGrade: 1A

2. 1.7 G SI2

Tab Percent: 1A
Crown Angle: 2A
Crown Height: 1A
Pavilion Depth: 1B
Girdle: 1A
Depth: 1A
Polish: 1A
Symmetry: 1A
TotalGrade: 1B

A price tag of about $10K is very tempting for 1.51 H VVS2 but then so is additional 10% area of 1.7 G SI2 -- however, not at the cost of loss of brilliance/fire/sparkle. I need to place the order soon in order to receive the pendant in time. Which do you recommend?

_26196.jpg

_26197.jpg

_26201.jpg

_26202.jpg

adev

Rough_Rock

Bumping up.
Please share your opinion.I'd love to hear from more people. Otherwise, am gonna have to flip the coin :think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results