shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with OEC ring?

rebecca2008

Rough_Rock
Hi, This is my first post but I've been a lurker. I have been given a family ring (4th generation now) that I would like to change up. I'm sure my mother will be horrified but I won't wear it as a ring so I'd rather do something with it rather than keeping in my jewelry box. I finally got around to taking it to a jeweler and he's cleaning it up and doing a more formal appraisal for me, however, he did tell me it's at least 1.25ct and I-L color (it faces up pretty white but hard to tell color for sure due to the head).

img_1005_s_3.jpg

I'm thinking of either making a pendant or finding a matching stone and making earrings. If I go the earring route, I'll probably have to wait until the end of this year or next year to buy a matching stone. My fear with earrings is that they will be too big for my personality.

Any thoughts on pendant vs earrings or what would be a good setting? Thanks!

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
Personally, I love the ring as is, but if you're going to change it up, that size stone will look lovely in a pendant and be very versatile. You could consider bezeling it, haloing it with the side stones, or mixing it up with some colored stones in a delicate vintage style pendant.

Size of earrings is personal, but if you're not sure. I do worry that at that size/weight, the stone will flip down because of the weight (if you do studs) or just plain pull down uncomfortably on your ear if you make dangling earrings.

Plus then where are you going to wear them?

rebecca2008

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comment. That is an excellent point about the earrings and weight. I have been looking at some bezel pendants with milgrain that I am quite drawn to and I think I'm going to pursue something along those lines.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am funny about stone sizes for different purposes, and only recently realized that while I love 6mm for a ring or a pendant, 5.5mm is my max for everyday stone sizes in my ears.

I think a pendant is a lovely idea that would keep all those who wore it before you close at heart, and ensure the diamond continues to be enjoyed vs collecting dust. I would just keep the setting such that - when passed down again - it can also be easily repurposed back into a ring if desired.

rebecca2008

Rough_Rock
Thank you, JoCoJen, for expressing my thoughts! :)

I absolutely love the style of the ring but I just feel really weird wearing it as it doesn't feel like it's mine. It's hard to express how I feel but I just won't wear it as a ring. I've had it 6 months now and it just sits in the jewelry box, which seems completely pointless.

It actually came back as a J SI2 1.10ct (shallow depth so it faces up larger). It looks gorgeous now that it's clean! I'm going to sit on it for a bit and not make any rash decisions but I'm now leaning towards earrings, thanks mainly to my husband's insistence that the size would be just fine for me (I've been holding it up to my ear and it doesn't look too large as I have larger earlobes and my piercing is up higher). I do appreciate the idea of keeping the setting so the diamond can be returned if I so desire.

Thanks for the opinions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results