shape
carat
color
clarity

Posting gem reports on PS

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think it's not a good idea to post our CS gem reports (e.g. from AGL or GIA) on PS. One way to fake a report is to copy the numbers and specs from a real report. CS usually have pretty unique characteristics (compared to say modern RB diamonds).

Fake reports are the easiest to identify when they have the wrong report number, characteristics of the stone, and picture. If these are all correct on a "fake" report, and a different stone resembles the pic, that will cause problems.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are right. At least edit them before posting

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, this issue was mentioned by "someone" and ironically turns out that person is the one doing all of this. It takes one to know one I suppose.
That's why GIA offer the inscription service I guess, but anything can be faked these days.

PS: the referral to "someone" is not you Preg :sun:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think I would ever post a gem report up here (not that I have any to post yet!) showing all the information on the report. More sensitive information like the report # should at the very least be blacked out to avoid any kind of theft. The odds of finding a stone with the exact cla

I used to work in insurance once upon a time and would get claims for stolen jewellery and gemstones quite often, occasionally I would hear reports where people had gotten their gems back and I always wondered how they knew it was their gem. Now I have learned the chance of the gem NOT being theirs is far smaller :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am leery of posting the lab report in its entirety as well. I would leave out some info and only show the pertinent parts if requested.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree - what AlexPark did is perfect - You see that is it a GIA report course you can read " Gemmological.... "

Only the report number I would hide...

Normally I would never ask for a report - was a special situation.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am just not going to post anything from my reports. I can tell you guys what is on my reports, without posting them. If you don't believe me, that is okay with me :) Then again, I don't make weird claims.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1420833436|3814188 said:
Well, their just going to fake them from somewhere else. Many sellers, including my self will put a report up with the stone. If I stopped, there still are a million others. It's a shame that people fake reports, but you're not going to stop them, though there are good ideas here. :)

I completely agree, as there are a ton of reports on ebay and elsewhere to steal information from. Sad but true.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still not clear on the concept - is it that one takes a report and changes the data and description? Do they go out and find an identical looking stone? How would posting or not posting make a difference? Not trying to be difficult here, really just don't quite get the mechanics of it. :confused:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Any of the above. I think the worse would be having a stone that is similar enough to fool someone like me that the report goes with the stone. While I'll check with AGL, GIA, whoever that a report is real and the information is real, I can't check the stone. I guess I should go buy some calipers at least.

Elvis has a good point that many reports are available, but I don't want to put my info. out there anyway. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1420840450|3814273 said:
I'm still not clear on the concept - is it that one takes a report and changes the data and description? Do they go out and find an identical looking stone? How would posting or not posting make a difference? Not trying to be difficult here, really just don't quite get the mechanics of it. :confused:

They forge the report by getting a similar size stone, and they can even change the photo also. Some reports have holograms now, which makes them hard to forge, but if you're a novice, it's easy to get fooled.

I mean very few people think to check the exact millimeters of the stone with a digital caliper to corroborate the report, but that's a good way to corroborate. Come to think of it though, I suppose a synthetic can also be cut to the millimeters of the natural stone as well.

If there's a way to steal, someone will figure it out. :nono:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL|1420851679|3814342 said:
So true.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T L said:

They forge the report by getting a similar size stone, and they can even change the photo also. Some reports have holograms now, which makes them hard to forge, but if you're a novice, it's easy to get fooled.

I mean very few people think to check the exact millimeters of the stone with a digital caliper to corroborate the report, but that's a good way to corroborate. Come to think of it though, I suppose a synthetic can also be cut to the millimeters of the natural stone as well.

You can buy fake store receipts (not just the tags! An actual receipt that shows you bought an Hermes bag at the Champs Elysee store ) and brand name certs for luxury bags etc off Taobao and other Chinese websites (some people use it to sell fake handbags). There is a whole industry in China that prints out such receipts and certs... It's very corrupt but many people get fake receipts for expense reimbursement purposes.. Forging gem stone reports would be all in a day's work for those folks. [emoji33]

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1420853753|3814360 said:
T L said:

You can buy fake store receipts (not just the tags! An actual receipt that shows you bought an Hermes bag at the Champs Elysee store ) and brand name certs for luxury bags etc off Taobao and other Chinese websites (some people use it to sell fake handbags). There is a whole industry in China that prints out such receipts and certs... It's very corrupt but many people get fake receipts for expense reimbursement purposes.. Forging gem stone reports would be all in a day's work for those folks. [emoji33]

They forge packaging too, like Tiffany boxes. They actually have some websites on how to tell the differences in real vs. fake packaging. It's just awful.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so disheartening and sad at times (such as this) to see what this world is coming to & the lengths some will go to in order to do wrong. :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1421148476|3815619 said:
It's so disheartening and sad at times (such as this) to see what this world is coming to & the lengths some will go to in order to do wrong. :((
True, but I think the crooks share the blame with customers who don't get educated and/or are gullible enough to think they can get something for a fraction of its legit cost.
These sellers and buyers kind of deserve each other.

You want a real Rolex?
Walk into an authorized dealer with a wad of money.
Can't afford it?
Then buy a cheaper watch.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
1+

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1421193026|3816001 said:
JoCoJenn|1421148476|3815619 said:
True, but I think the crooks share the blame with customers who don't get educated and/or are gullible enough to think they can get something for a fraction of its legit cost.
These sellers and buyers kind of deserve each other.

You want a real Rolex?
Walk into an authorized dealer with a wad of money.
Can't afford it?
Then buy a cheaper watch.

Well you can buy a second hand Rolex for less, but I know what you mean. ;))

The big problem I have with forgers are those that charge a huge amount of money for something non-branded that is fake or not as advertised. For example, gemstones are not branded. For example, if someone is looking for a fine sapphire or padparadcha, a bogus lab report can make a synthetic or highly treated stone, worth far more. That's the real issue with these forged lab reports. Those are the customers I feel sorry for the most because they think buying a gem is a lot like buying a car, and it's definitely not. The misuse of the word "certificate" for lab report, only reinforces that feeling of security, which you once explained very well to me and others here. :)

As for people wanting to pay far less for something that they should buy directly from the real manufacturer, as in the case of a truly branded object, like a Tiffany or a Rolex, then yes, they are being very negligent if they're not doing their research. I think these items can be found for less second hand, but get yourself educated on them if you intend t buy one for less on the secondary market. It's only common sense. If you don't want to take a chance, then go to an authorized dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results