shape
carat
color
clarity

Color question

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I read here a lot but don't post much. But now I have a question I'd appreciate some help with.

Would you set a small fancy green yellow diamond in a rose, green, or palladium (or unplated white gold) head to bring
out the green (unset, the green is pretty obvious - think "pale limeade"). The shank will be palladium or white gold, I think.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demon|1418935074|3803770 said:
Hi

I read here a lot but don't post much. But now I have a question I'd appreciate some help with.

Would you set a small fancy green yellow diamond in a rose, green, or palladium (or unplated white gold) head to bring
out the green (unset, the green is pretty obvious - think "pale limeade"). The shank will be palladium or white gold, I think.

Your stone sounds great. It would be helpful if you could post a photo to determine what metal color would fit.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I know, right? I just wish I could, but I haven't been able to capture the color with my cheap little point & shoot. I think a can of Minute Maid Limeade, just a tiny bit paler, really fits though.

Reactions: AV_

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that different alloys means rose gold and green gold will differ from store to store, it is best to have the bench who is making the ring allow you to "play" with the metal to decide which colour plays up/down the FCD the way you want it to look.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh. I know you're right. I was hoping to go in with a clear plan in mind.

Thanks you two!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, I find that going with yellow gold plays up the green in a yellow green stone. Rose gold tends to play up the blue modifier of a gem.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Huh. I would have thought the yellow would bring out yellow. I definitely have some playing around with it to do them. And it's actually 2 small diamonds that will be going on either side of a fancy yellow, so that could complicate things more. Add to that one has probably faint blue fluoresence and one has at least medium yellow.....they may never get set, lol. I appreciate your help! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have played up the yellow in my gems successfully by setting them in yellow gold but for some yellow green gems, yellow gold seems to increase the green contrast. Faint blue and medium yellow fluoro will have little to negligible impact in your diamonds.

iammariaberg

Rough_Rock
Yup!! I have set a small golden colored diamond in a palladium..The palladium looks very beautiful.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1418951632|3803916 said:
I have played up the yellow in my gems successfully by setting them in yellow gold but for some yellow green gems, yellow gold seems to increase the green contrast. Faint blue and medium yellow fluoro will have little to negligible impact in your diamonds.

It has occured to me that somewhere in the depths of an old jewelry box is a Black Hills 3 color gold ring I've had for eons. The alloys my jeweler uses might not be exactly the same, but it may give me an idea!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
iammariaberg|1418987467|3804118 said:
Yup!! I have set a small golden colored diamond in a palladium..The palladium looks very beautiful.

Yeah, I was thinking palladium for the contrast, as I hear it's supposed to stay pretty white without having to be plated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold will bring out the green the most.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Arrrgh. My head is going to explode. Seems like such a little thing, but I do want to get it right the first time. And obviously choosing which color to bring out what is not MY strong point. Thanks TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demon|1419108290|3804897 said:
Arrrgh. My head is going to explode. Seems like such a little thing, but I do want to get it right the first time. And obviously choosing which color to bring out what is not MY strong point. Thanks TL!

Well, if the diamond is already in your possession, place it on a copper penny to see how it looks, vs a nickel, to emulate rose and white metal accordingly. You can put it next to some yellow gold to see how it looks against that as well.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great advice

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1419108524|3804899 said:
Demon|1419108290|3804897 said:

Well, if the diamond is already in your possession, place it on a copper penny to see how it looks, vs a nickel, to emulate rose and white metal accordingly. You can put it next to some yellow gold to see how it looks against that as well.

I've got my 3 color gold ring soaking in baking soda right now. :) (So tarnished the green didn't look at all green.) It should help me.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a yellowish-green diamond ... Not sure if it's close to yours or not. Attaching pics if it's helpful of it loose and set in an empty RG bezel. Just snapped these in incandescent lighting as its dark out here, so cannot get decent daylight shots.

_25382.jpg

_25383.jpg

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1419126156|3805057 said:
I have a yellowish-green diamond ... Not sure if it's close to yours or not. Attaching pics if it's helpful of it loose and set in an empty RG bezel. Just snapped these in incandescent lighting as its dark out here, so cannot get decent daylight shots.

Mine are lighter in tone and more yellow, from what I can tell about yours from my monitor. The rose does seem to bring out the green in yours, I think. Thank you!Nice diamond. :)

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
It's very basic, but if you print out yellow and pink blocks, lay it on each one to see if you get the desired color from your stone. We had a fancy pink set in rose gold and it made it look very dark so we had it reset in white gold and it was stunning. The penny idea could work too.

In theory, the rose gold should bring out the green best (reference a color wheel.) But each diamond is different so it may not be the best option for you.

You are working on something custom, right? So you could also maybe ask the setter if they have some empty mountings you could lay it in.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
diamondenvy1|1419274846|3805880 said:
It's very basic, but if you print out yellow and pink blocks, lay it on each one to see if you get the desired color from your stone. We had a fancy pink set in rose gold and it made it look very dark so we had it reset in white gold and it was stunning. The penny idea could work too.

In theory, the rose gold should bring out the green best (reference a color wheel.) But each diamond is different so it may not be the best option for you.

You are working on something custom, right? So you could also maybe ask the setter if they have some empty mountings you could lay it in.

That is a lot of finger coverage in your profile pic ring. :!:

Threadjack over.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
LoversKites said:

That is a lot of finger coverage in your profile pic ring. :!:

Threadjack over.

Haha, yes it is! It's a 35 carat :lickout:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

Not really custom.....the yellow diamond is already set in a shank. I think I want to have the shank replaced with palladium, and have the 2 green yellow radiants bar set in whatever damn color turns out to be the best, lol.

35 carats?????? Wow

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
It does seem to be rose gold that brings out the green in these particular stones. Thanks again to all who weighed in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results