shape
carat
color
clarity

Jade versus Chrysoprase

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
I have read that chrysoprase can remember Imperial jade, but a gemologist I know tested this and said she felt it was jade. Because it's set in a deco 10k gold, another jewelers said they thought it was prase. Who do I believe? It's such a stunning green I can't imagine chrysoprase could come in this color! Any opinions out there?

_13790.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell from a picture. I would send it (GIA or AGL) for a report. I hope someone can chime in about who is better. Mason Kay is the best, but my understanding is that the only take trade gems.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Only way to tell is to have it tested by a lab.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it is, its lovely. Maybe I'm having deja vu, but I swear I've seen that ring before - would you mind sharing where you sourced it?

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
I don't mind at all! It came from a flea market (year round inside) in Lebanon NH. I love to sniff out gems that aren't expensive in the hopes I will uncover a hidden treasure. When I do this, I am careful to pay no more than the gold value of the ring. Then the stones are just icing on the cake if they are worth more. It has the most amazing translucence in some lighting. In other lights it can look opaque forest green (the way it looked in the shop). They told me it was jade when I bought it. I had them even say that on the receipt. They said I could bring it back if I had it tested and found it wasn't. The person I took it to said (after testing the hardness and looking at it with a microscope) that is was jade. Others say jade would not have been set into 10K gold. Let me say when I left the dark store and went into the sun I was SHOCKED by the screaming emerald green translucence of the stone. Why can only a lab tell? Are prase and jade closes in most particulars like hardness and characteristic inclusions?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore what it's mounted in as that doesn't tell you anything (and please go and slap the person who told you that :naughty: ).

It actually could be a number of things including a man made stone. It appears to have some translucency so I wouldn't like to say what this is.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
the gemologist should have easily been able to identify the stone if they had RI and also a handheld spectroscope ……
likely is dyed jadeite.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot say for sure, but from the picture, it looks more like jade than chrysophrase. It may be natural or dyed or synthetic. A gemologist can identify the stone by the refractive index, but only a gem lab with capability to run Raman spectroscopy can tell whether it is dyed or treated jadeite. The instrument is very expensive. As far as I know, only GIA, AGL and Mason Kay have it in the US. If you are willing to take the stone out of the mounting, an AGL gem brief would be the cheapest cert you can get. I think it is around $50 now. Is the color very even? Natural jadeite usually isn't. The fact that the stone looks better in sunlight is a good sign. Some of you might have seen the pictures of my Art Deco imperial jadeite ring. The color of your ring looks kind of like mine.

AN

an_6.jpg

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Art Nouveau, your ring is a stunner and a dead-ringer for the color of my stone . (Sorry for the bad pun I couldn't help myself.) the color is not that even as it seems darker in some spots but the green is emerald like. I can't see any inclusions with my 10x loupe . I would rather it be natural chrysoprase than anything dyed. The cab has a flat bottom which is interesting. I understand jades cabs often have a curved underbelly. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
RSargent: Curved underbelly is desirable. That means the stone is a double cabochon. In the old days, good quality jadeite were cut as double cabs to better show the color. But these days, the new jadeite cabs are usually flat to save material. Double cabochons are more expensive than cabs with flat bottom. My ring mounting is vintage Art Deco, but I was told the jadeite is "old mine" imperial jade. It may mean it was from the now extinct old mine, or the color is "old mine", which is a deeper emerald green than the apple green jadeite. The color of your stone, if it is jadeite, would be considered "old mine". I sent my ring to GIA and was identified as natural jadeite with no treatment. The cost was about $150 with RT USPS registered mail shipping. The price may have gone up a bit. Two years ago, AGL certified another jadeite ring in mounting for me. I dropped off the ring myself in NY and the cost $138 plus return shipping. If you can send the loose stone, fast track would be much less. I have attached a not so good photo of a chrysophrase set that I have. My father bought the stones during a trip to Australia. The stones do not look the same as jadeite. The color is more even, lighter green and less translucent.

AN

chrysophrase_set_sm.jpg

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Great information. Thank you! Is the jadeite ring pictured with the set? I think my setting is Art Deco too.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you find the info I posted useful. No, the ring in the set is chrysoprase. It is not as translucent as the jadeite ring in the hand shot posted earlier. The mountings for the chrysoprase set were custom made in Hong Kong in the 60s. The style is not Art Deco. Hope you decide to send your stone to a lab and share the results here. I am curious to know if the stone is natural jadeite.

AN

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rsargent, not sure who you took it to in the UV, but Ward Amidon should have the tools needed to identify the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly looks more like jadeite than chrysoprase to me but that's my armchair photography guess. :lol: For a conclusive answer, it'll need actual testing, not just eye-balling the stone. Even if it is jadeite, there is the matter of treatment (dye, bleaching, filling, etc). If you didn't pay a lot so I would be inclined to just enjoy it as is. That said, I certainly understand the curiousity to find out what it is. :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1390308485|3597555 said:
It certainly looks more like jadeite than chrysoprase to me but that's my armchair photography guess. :lol: For a conclusive answer, it'll need actual testing, not just eye-balling the stone. Even if it is jadeite, there is the matter of treatment (dye, bleaching, filling, etc). If you didn't pay a lot so I would be inclined to just enjoy it as is. That said, I certainly understand the curiousity to find out what it is. :))

There are also man made materials that looks very much like that. Our local antique/flea market was over run with it a while ago.

Celtpipes999

Rough_Rock
hello

I also have a ring that is set in platinum this ring was in our family for over 90 years. My family was in textile busness and this ring was made for my great grandfather. Its 14ct, my grandfather vistied China for silks and bought many rare jade objects we still have in our family. I feel that with testing you can find out if its jade or chrysophrase. There has been old rare chrysoprase thats been sold as jadite in times pa
jadeiteplatring.jpgst.
jadeiteplatring.jpg

liao

Shiny_Rock
Celtpipes999|1419005951|3804221 said:
hello

I also have a ring that is set in platinum this ring was in our family for over 90 years. My family was in textile busness and this ring was made for my great grandfather. Its 14ct, my grandfather vistied China for silks and bought many rare jade objects we still have in our family. I feel that with testing you can find out if its jade or chrysophrase. There has been old rare chrysoprase thats been sold as jadite in times pa
jadeiteplatring.jpgst.
jadeiteplatring.jpg

can you open a new thread and post more pics?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi PSers :wavey:
I dunno where to start so instead of creating a new topic, I just thought I'd post here instead and ask for some insight/advise (re color, setting, clarity, etc.) to help me decide which one to get as my pre-Christmas treat next month hehe

If you were to pick one between these two Chrysoprase rings (vendor photos) which one will you choose to purchase? Both are untreated, have almost similar price and gem size/dimensions.

Ring A - Slightly Bluish Green, High-Dome Cut
c1_0.jpg
c2.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Ring B - As per seller, this is more bluish/seafoam Green, semi dome cabochon
cc1_0.jpg
cc2_0.jpg

Appreciate all your responses & suggestions ::)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one. They're both lovely though.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi LG. I liked the first one too... but sadly it was purchased by another buyer when I finally decided to go for it.
Thankfully, the seller offered me another (3rd) cab ring --- and without any second thoughts, I bought it ::)
#excited :bigsmile:

Natural Chrome Green Chalcedony

chromec3.jpg
chromec2.jpg

ZEFERINO ARROYO

Rough_Rock
IMG_7514.JPG IMG_7521.JPG
I have read that chrysoprase can remember Imperial jade, but a gemologist I know tested this and said she felt it was jade. Because it's set in a deco 10k gold, another jewelers said they thought it was prase. Who do I believe? It's such a stunning green I can't imagine chrysoprase could come in this color! Any opinions out there?

_13790.jpg

_13790.jpg
It's been a while since this was started. I'm new and I have the same dilemma... I bought this jade thinking it was. I visited Myanmar and saw many Chrysoprase from Russia. Now I'm confused..,

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh the resurgence of this thread has made me want to go out and set my chrysoprase!

Trouble is I can only get white gold settings and that colour on chrysoprase does not thrill me.

Idham

Rough_Rock
IMG20210204225504.jpg IMG20210204225544.jpg IMG20210204225723.jpg IMG20210204225407.jpg

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock

_13790.jpg

check the RI index [or ask ur jeweler to help check! if they have a refractometer]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results