shape
carat
color
clarity

A visit to the Amsterdam Sauer Museum

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was in Rio this weekend and I slipped off to the Amsterdam Sauer Museum. It is a small exhibition of gemstones, mainly Brazilian. Everything is laid out in a small room, with very nice spot lighting on the displays. It was an interesting visit. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures *hangs head in shame*

There are three main floor displays with larger collections of specific stones (one on emeralds, one with tourmalines and the last with aqua and imperial topaz) and several small displays along the wall (with around 10-20 each of amethyst, citrines, diamonds, coloured diamonds, alexandrite, chrysoberyl, cat's eye chrysoberyl, apatite, fluorite, sapphire, ruby, etc).

The emeralds were exquisite. It was interesting to compare lighter and darker emeralds, the different effects of faceting versus cabbing, the inclusions, etc. There were fewer rubies but they were also top notch. Among several stones, there was always one that stood out just a little and pulled your eye to it. The difference in depth of colour wasn't always large but the really fine stone always had a little extra ooomph that commanded your attention.

As was to be expected, the tourmaline display was good. It was focused mainly on verdelite (the nice, not overly dark stones) and rubelite, but there were a few fancy colours and bicolours as well. The paraiba display was rather bare (there are better stones on PS and even mine would not have been out of place). I loved the rubelites - glowing colours! There was also two amazing cat eye tourmalines. One was a large square cab of very dark indicolite. It had a perfect eye: straight, very sharp and with great movement. Along the eye, the beautiful blue would show up. The second was an oval rubelite, nicely translucent and with another great eye.

The alexandrites (both faceted and cat's eye) were gorgeous, with very nice colour, but there was only the spot light, so the colour change wasn't seen. What a waste... The cat's eye chrysoberyls were small but good. One exhibited the milk and honey effect very nicely, another had a high, sharp dome which gave it a cool effect. Unfortunately, the faceted chrysoberyls were all brownish duds. Once again, much, much better stones are seen on PS.

I could go on and on - you can fit a lot of stones in a small room.

The downside was that there was little information, other than stone type (no weight, cut, etc) and no discussion of treatment. One theoretically knowledgeable guy was there (he has worked for 20 years in this field) but, honestly, I found his lack of knowledge disturbing. He had no idea about spinels and said that they weren't precious (while standing in front of a fluorite display!). He disdained any stone that wasn't Brazilian (ouch!). He wasn't very familiar with garnets and had never heard of tsavorites. That was quite disappointing. Perhaps I should have pointed him towards PS and GO :twisted: However, he had good knowledge of the Brazilian stuff.

Overall, it was a delightful visit. My poor husband was rather stoned out at the end but I could have stayed longer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1418646555|3801404 said:
The downside was that there was little information, other than stone type (no weight, cut, etc) and no discussion of treatment. One theoretically knowledgeable guy was there (he has worked for 20 years in this field) but, honestly, I found his lack of knowledge disturbing. He had no idea about spinels and said that they weren't precious (while standing in front of a fluorite display!). He disdained any stone that wasn't Brazilian (ouch!). He wasn't very familiar with garnets and had never heard of tsavorites. That was quite disappointing. Perhaps I should have pointed him towards PS and GO :twisted: However, he had good knowledge of the Brazilian stuff.

Overall, it was a delightful visit. My poor husband was rather stoned out at the end but I could have stayed longer.

Wow, that's really sad. It's bad enough all the misinformation sales people give, let alone a supposedly educated museum employee, about gems. :nono:

Sounds like you at least had a fun time, and I know what you mean about museums having some meh gems. The Field Museum in Chicago has a gem collection with some really unattractive examples of certain species, like chrysoberyl and alexandrite, but there's some beautiful gems as well. It just goes to show you though that "museum quality" is not what its cracked up to be.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1418651159|3801420 said:
The Field Museum in Chicago has a gem collection with some really unattractive examples of certain species, like chrysoberyl and alexandrite, but there's some beautiful gems as well. It just goes to show you though that "museum quality" is not what its cracked up to be.

TL so glad you said this -- I thought it was just me!! I had a similar reaction at both the Field and the Natural History Museum in NYC. I'm hardly an expert, but I was floored at how many specimens had gaping windows, and it seemed like some of the less-rare/less expensive stones had poorly cut/colored examples, and there's just no reason for that. I hope to visit the Field again over the holidays and will try to get some pics. I find photography near impossible in those exhibits between the glass and the lighting, but if I have my actual camera (not phone) I will give it a shot.

LD thanks for the report back -- I doubt I will ever make it to Rio so its fun to see through your eyes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enbcfsobe|1418653952|3801458 said:
The Field Museum in Chicago has a gem collection with some really unattractive examples of certain species, like chrysoberyl and alexandrite, but there's some beautiful gems as well. It just goes to show you though that "museum quality" is not what its cracked up to be.

TL so glad you said this -- I thought it was just me!! I had a similar reaction at both the Field and the Natural History Museum in NYC. I'm hardly an expert, but I was floored at how many specimens had gaping windows, and it seemed like some of the less-rare/less expensive stones had poorly cut/colored examples, and there's just no reason for that. I hope to visit the Field again over the holidays and will try to get some pics. I find photography near impossible in those exhibits between the glass and the lighting, but if I have my actual camera (not phone) I will give it a shot.

LD thanks for the report back -- I doubt I will ever make it to Rio so its fun to see through your eyes.

Funny you speak about the lighting at the Field Museum. They redid the gem exhibit with this horrible yellowish lighting that is not at all optimal for gems. I opened a thread here on the Field Museum Hall of Gems, and the lighting made it impossible to take nice pics, but although I tried, they came out poorly. My three favorite pieces were a fire opal necklace, a demantoid ring and a bixbite ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyD,
I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit the museum and are kind enough to write a short trip report to share with us. Thank you. The lack of pictures, however, is inexcusable! :nono: :bigsmile:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady D-anything good on offer at the museum's gift shop? :lol: Seriously, sometimes I have found some cool pieces at these places as there a few buyers.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1418657474|3801493 said:
enbcfsobe|1418653952|3801458 said:

Funny you speak about the lighting at the Field Museum. They redid the gem exhibit with this horrible yellowish lighting that is not at all optimal for gems. I opened a thread here on the Field Museum Hall of Gems, and the lighting made it impossible to take nice pics, but although I tried, they came out poorly. My three favorite pieces were a fire opal necklace, a demantoid ring and a bixbite ring.

TL I looked up that thread and wow! I can't believe you got such good pictures. I remember that opal necklace -- wow! I'm not sure I could compete with those photos with my limited skill. Unless there is something new in the exhibit in the last few years I think you got it well covered!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lambskin|1418691764|3801830 said:
Lady D-anything good on offer at the museum's gift shop? :lol: Seriously, sometimes I have found some cool pieces at these places as there a few buyers.

The museum opens up to the Amsterdam Sauer flagship store - not a place for the slim of wallet...
http://www.amsterdamsauer.com/catalog/product/?/2011/dreams+reserve+paraiba+tourmaline+brooch.htm

And I am on love with the little hummingbirds (even if they don't feed on orchids): http://www.amsterdamsauer.com/about/?/floral+arrangements.htm

Chrono - no photos from me but I found these: http://www.amsterdamsauer.com/about/?/museum.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results