shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Edison Pearls

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1418229112|3798890 said:
The Edisons seem to come in different textures and glossyness. The pink pendant has a very glossy surface which does not show up in the photo as in real life.
Beautiful pearls and beautiful chain. How is that sort of chain called? I've been looking for something "rigid" like that for a while (sorry, English is not my first language).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was having problems with PS this morning as well when I tried to post about my Edison. But, here it is now.

I have one of the dark purple drops from the PP Black Friday sale in 2012. It is big and metallic and a great match to my Kamoka aubergine "Wonder" pendant, so I often wear them together.

I like that pretty pink drop shape. So sweet, and just right for the pastel pearl lover.

_25126.jpg

edison_1.jpg

twinset_3.jpg

aubergine_twin_set_1.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Bam!! That's a beautiful pearl, Ms. Fly

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Tucs, may I ask what is your first language? Your English is excellent!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Regarding the surface of the Edison pearls ..and I'm no expert but I've spent a lot of time at their office looking .. To me they are like any other freshwater .. Some satin..some have a faintly ripple surface ..as in not smooth .. Some have a beautiful surface and mirror lustre. It's getting a combination of things when you are picking them out. You can get a big pearl with a mirror luster ..but the colour might be blah ... The colour plus mirror lustre plus roundness = big dollars So sometimes you get a fabulous colour ... Ok,the luster is more satiny .. But maybe there isn't one in that colour with mirror lustre ..but you don't want to miss out on that special colour so,you take it. You can't always get everything . So the colour in that one is special . ( believe me there are heaps of ordinary Edison colours ..they are not all deep and fabulous ! ) and the luster is satiny .

So yes they do come with mirror lustre .. But not necessarily in your fabulous colour. Depends on what's important to you as to whether or not that pearl is a keeper...doesn't matter who else likes it ..it's whether or not you like it . Fab Colour v lustre .. Tough decision.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Absolutely Katbran. I've sat in the Edison brand's offices as well. Edison pearls - branded bead nucleated freshwater pearls - come in the same variety of qualities as any other freshwater pearl. As do Mings - another brand - and unbranded. There are acres of washed out spotty pearls going cheap right up to strands of metallic smooth deep coloured.
Priced accordingly (although branded do tend to be dearer, as with everything branded, even baked beans!)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1418271004|3799286 said:
Tucs, may I ask what is your first language? Your English is excellent!

Thanks for your kind words, Bsomlo, you're very sweet. I'm bilingual in Catalan and Spanish. I learned some English in school back home, but I didn't become fluent in it until I moved to England for graduate studies. Now my English is decent (or so I hope :)), but I still struggle with specific terminology I haven't encountered before, such as in jewelry.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs|1418265700|3799236 said:
NacreLover|1418229112|3798890 said:
The Edisons seem to come in different textures and glossyness. The pink pendant has a very glossy surface which does not show up in the photo as in real life.
Beautiful pearls and beautiful chain. How is that sort of chain called? I've been looking for something "rigid" like that for a while (sorry, English is not my first language).

It's a two tone reversable Omega necklace. One side is white gold the reverse yellow gold

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Nacrelover -- it's beautiful. I've never seen a reversible one before. What a clever idea!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1418287474|3799357 said:
Absolutely Katbran. I've sat in the Edison brand's offices as well. Edison pearls - branded bead nucleated freshwater pearls - come in the same variety of qualities as any other freshwater pearl. As do Mings - another brand - and unbranded. There are acres of washed out spotty pearls going cheap right up to strands of metallic smooth deep coloured.
Priced accordingly (although branded do tend to be dearer, as with everything branded, even baked beans!)

It would help to have some standardized nomenclature. For example, Sarah at Kojima simply calls them "natural color Chinese fresh water baroque pearls." The strand looks like Mings, with the intense metallic tones and rippled surface.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
ennui, think of it this way...you need a tissue for a runny nose...you can use the store brand (ripple pearls), or use either Puffs (Ming) or Kleenex (Edison). Ming and Edison are brand names for what otherwise are Chinese bead nucleated freshwater pearls.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard|1418324860|3799568 said:
ennui, think of it this way...you need a tissue for a runny nose...you can use the store brand (ripple pearls), or use either Puffs (Ming) or Kleenex (Edison). Ming and Edison are brand names for what otherwise are Chinese bead nucleated freshwater pearls.

I understand that, but the problem is that every pearl vendor calls them something different. At least the drug stores agree on Kleenex. It's Kleenex no matter where you go.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1418326561|3799585 said:
Pirard|1418324860|3799568 said:

I understand that, but the problem is that every pearl vendor calls them something different. At least the drug stores agree on Kleenex. It's Kleenex no matter where you go.
Until you look at your CVS receipt and it gives you a coupon for Puffs instead!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results