shape
carat
color
clarity

Strongest Most Durable Eternity? Experiences?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having an extremely competant Jeweller in London's Hatton Garden re-make my bent full eternity in the New Year. I am sending him my ring on Jan 5th for him to start putting ideas together. I am spareing no expense on this project, as my eternity is hugely sentimental to me & I would like to pass it to my youngest daughter when she is older. As she turns 4 in January, I need a setting that will with stand daily wear over many years. The original vendor has acknowledged that the setting might have been faulty from the get go, as it became oval after 6 months of wear & this is now the 4th time it has gone out of shape in less than 4 years, but they are no longer liable to help because I have had an independent Jeweller straighten it. Lesson learned right there!

I see antique eternity rings on EBay every day, but mostly they are channel set. I am personally not a fan of channel settings as I love an open gallery. My diamonds are princess cut, so I fear an enclosed setting would hide some of the sparkle - they don't perform the same a RB's.

What design advice would you give? What experiences do you have of your own eternity rings? The Jeweller who is being commissioned to do this has assured me that the new setting will with stand my daily lifestyle. He is highly recommended & sought after, so I have been extremely thankful & lucky that he's going to fit me in. He is working with platinum.

And tips, pointers & information would be fantastic. FYI the diamonds are small & total 1.75ct, so it works out at 3mm with currently, including very spikey claws. I want something easy to clean as the current enclosed setting is a P in the A to get in to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it is the design itself as much as the level of workmanship that plays a large role in the ring being durable.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have found that in most cases channel sets are. They're not usually the most open and sparkly by comparison, but the amount of metal aids in the durability. Obviously, the workmanship and skill of the craftsman makes the most difference here. Bezel set may work well in this case as well.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my personal experience with eternities, I'd say that it's quality of metalwork that is important. I've worn a plat shared prong eternity made by Facets daily for the past 6 years. I'm fairly careful with jewelry but it's very well made. No issues with bending or coming out of round. I also have a shared prong eternity in 14k with sapphires that I stack with the diamond one. Don't know the manufacturer but no issues with it as well.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with ame - I've found channel set bands to be very durable even worn in multiples.
I have worn newly made versions as well as vintage pieces without any special care and they've held up amazingly well. I sometimes find the design lacking in interest, but durable. I only have one shared prong band and it has been fine for the last 7 years, but I am not interested in wearing it next to anything due to the wear points and rubbing causing potential damage.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wearing my WF 18 kt yg eternity , shared prong, for two years and haven't had any bending yet.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had great bands made by Signed Pieces/Facets, and yes the metalwork is sturdy. But durability extends beyond metalwork. The stones have to be safe too, and a sharedprong or micropave band will never have "safe" stones because they're exposed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results