shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Picked up another Afghan tourmaline 4ct, eye clean, well saturated. Going to turn it into a nice statement ring(male). Thoughts?

afghan11.jpg

afghan12.jpg

afghan11.jpg

afghan12.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! It looks really nice. Did you have any settings in mind?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great stone!!! The color looks amazing but the spread as well. What are the dimensions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please set it in prongs, not bezel or gypsy set unless your bench is extremely skilled with setting softer coloured stones. Other than that, I'd love to see your ring plans for the tourmaline!

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Chrono,

Its actually for a man's ring so prongs wouldn't work.

Any thoughts on how best to set? I'm working on getting dimensions shortly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen many men's rings with prongs.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Ah really? I'll look up some styles but usually see men's set in semi or full bezel. I think my biggest concern here is the length/size of the stone. Wanting a stone and then figuring out how the realities of setting are two different beasts.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sweet stone! From the images, I thought it would have a greater ratio than 11x9.

Are you going to set it vertically or horizontally? I would do a signet style ring, horizontally, with a very light texture on the ring and a smooth, polished bezel.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Nice stone. Perfect color for a mans ring.

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture shows a true tension setting (no support structure underneath or around it). I would be extremely cautious as to selecting who is to create this setting or risk the stone falling out.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Being it's a lighter stone I was thinking a clean, modern look would be good. I do appreciate any input; obviously I wouldn't want the stone to pop out. Since it isn't an emerald cut would it be more secure in the true tension setting?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A tourmaline is not really the best candidate for tension setting. You can get a very similar look with faux tension setting (with a hidden bridge under the stone for structural integrity) without the risks. You will lose the open profile of the stone but it will be safer, both during setting and everyday wear.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lady , the hidden support is a good idea

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results